Kipper's Christmas Eve by Mick Inkpen

Kipper's Christmas Eve (edition 2001)

by Mick Inkpen

Info:Hodder Children's Books (2001), Paperback, 32 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Picture Book, Christmas

Kipper's Christmas Eve (Kipper) by Mick Inkpen

I find the Kipper television series to be sweet in a low-key manner that is very soothing to watch, and this picture book is like reading a Kipper episode in book form. Actually, I think there is an episode with this story, and if so, I'm not sure which came first, the book or the television show. In most cases like this, I would find the book derivative; books based on TV usually are. However, I like this book. Just as with the television series, I find the story adorable and calming, yet not boring at all, but actually very appealing.

The story takes place on Christmas Eve. Kipper sets out to find a tree, a living one all covered in snow, and brings one home (along with a mouse). En route, he meets Pig and Arnold, and they visit for a time. They leave to wrap gifts, but later return, along with Tiger. They all exchange gifts, then each one is off to home, and bed, to await the blissful morning. All along, Kipper has been wondering which is better, Christmas or Christmas Eve. He ends the story with a decision: Christmas Eve. But then he wanders out on to the roof because he can't sleep, and the reader wonders if in the morning he might not decide that Christmas is better, after all. I like how the book ends in that spot, with Kipper and Arnold on roofs opposite each other, awake and waiting, happily longing for morning.

Did I mention that on the last page, Arnold's reindeer hat has a real flashing red light? This is probably my girl's favorite part, although they do like the rest of the story. I also am a fool for innovations in books, so I like it, too. But I appreciate other aspects of the book, such as the characters, the little detail of the mouse hiding in the tree and how only Arnold notices it, the fact that Kipper wants whatever Santa brings him for Christmas, and the gentle spirit that pervades the story, that encourages friendship and gratitude and love. If you want an uplifting Christmas story that is suitable for younger readers, Kipper is a good choice. ( )
  nmhale | Dec 29, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152026606, Hardcover)

Kipper can't decide which he likes better, Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. But on Christmas Eve, too excited to decide, he just whoops and charges into the woods to find a Christmas tree. After much effort, he pulls his chosen tree out of the ground and begins to drag it home, meeting his friend Pig and Pig's little cousin, Arnold, along the way. Kipper and Pig are too wrapped up in their discussion of what they want for Christmas to notice the little something extra Kipper is bringing home with his tree! But Arnold sees, and spends the rest of the day trying to point it out to an oblivious Kipper.

Mick Inkpen's Kipper, star of the Nick Jr. TV show and many Kipper books (Kipper's Bathtime, (Kipper's Snowy Day, and lots more), is as cute and lovable as ever in this Christmas book. Young readers will identify with his excitement as he decorates his tree, exchanges presents, and dreams about Santa Claus. And they'll chuckle with delight as they watch the mousy little guest Kipper brings home nibbling on Santa's cookies. A reindeer hat with a glowing red nose, Kipper's gift to Arnold, makes a fun surprise appearance in the inside back cover, as Arnold peers out his window with a real red light flashing on his head. (Ages 3 to 6) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:49 -0400)

Kipper the dog spends Christmas Eve selecting and decorating a tree, opening presents with friends, and waiting for Santa, all the while wondering if Christmas Day may be even better.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,463,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible