What Not to Wear by Trinny Woodall

Trinny & Susannah have also brought out a handbag-sized version of this book that you can take with you when you go clothes shopping! But this is the original hardback version of the book that tells you how to dress to flatter your body shape. ( )
  isabelx | Feb 5, 2011 |
I sort of knew all this stuff already, but the attitude and illustrations are wonderful. ( )
  picardyrose | Apr 15, 2009 |
I was probably the only person in all of Britain who read this book without watching the series, so it has had to stand on the book alone for me. In this book two women, Trinny and Susannah, give tips on what type of clothes suit or are to be avoided for various body parts (e.g. big bust, small bust, fat tummy etc). They themselves feature modelling the clothes in question, and then list shops (British) where you can buy what suits you. These pictures can sometimes be like corny `before and after' shots - `bad' clothes modelling with frowns and slouching, `good' outfits with a smile and great posture - but they are effective at showing you what the authors are trying to explain. The main point any reader would get from this book is dressing well is not rocket science. Every point made in this book is obvious - e.g. wearing a sleeveless top when you have big arms is only going to accentuate your big arms, not camouflage them. But seeing what some people are getting around in, obvious points obviously need reinforcing now and then.

This book has its faults - it manages to contradict itself in places. For example, Trinny (I think) is shown in an A-line skirt and this is sited as an example of `bad' dressing' for her body type, but later in the A-line skirt is there again, this time as a `good' example. Depends what you want to highlight or camouflage when you get out of bed in the morning I guess. And while some people might find the language a laugh (all talk of boobs and jugs and such) I found it a bit contrived. Again, I never saw the TV show, so I will admit that maybe I am missing something.

You don't *need* this book - surely most people could figure it all out for themselves by actually looking at themselves in the mirror before they leave the house in the morning. But perhaps it will be the nudge in the right direction for some, and reassurance for others that yes, they are doing it right. ( )
  ForrestFamily | Nov 19, 2008 |
These girls are the best! They don't say wait until you've lost 5, 10 or 50 pounds to look good. Like Allure magazine they operate under the premise that every woman can look her best. Without dieting, surgery or exercise. ( )
  Clueless | Feb 17, 2008 |
This is a great book, and I think the advice Trinny and Suzannah offer is spot on. Yes, they can be harsh at times, but they're no less critical of themselves as they are of others. I've realeased this book since much of the adivce really doesn't apply to me - I'm neither very thin and flat chested, nor heavy and buxom. But, for people in those categories, there is a lot of advice here which can really help you feel better about your wardrobe. ( )
  herebedragons | Feb 5, 2007 |

Trinny Woodallprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Constantine, Susannahmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Susannah and Trinny's straight-talking fashion advice has made them Britain's best-known style duo. In their second BBC2 series screened this autumn, more unsuspecting style casualties will be made-over. The sartorial sisters show how to develop personal style, whilst making the most of your body shape, hiding your defects and flaunting those assets! This book enlarges upon what is shown in the series. Susannah and Trinny are not about fashion; they are about personal style - dressing for your body shape and personality - and this book shows you how. 'Trinny and Susannah can be breathtakingly irritating but also happen to have extremely good taste.' - Elizabeth Hurley 'Shopping with the girls is like running a marathon, and it's fun too.' - Lulu 'I'd rather eat my own hair than shop with these two again.' - Jeremy Clarkson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:51 -0400)

Based on the British television program, offers advice for dressing to mask physical flaws, including large or small breasts, large arms, no waist, short legs, and saddlebags.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,654,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible