De chirurg by Tess Gerritsen

De chirurg (original 2001; edition 2009)

by Tess Gerritsen

Member:Vysoka
Title:De chirurg
Authors:Tess Gerritsen
Info:[Vianen] The House of Books 2009
Rating:*****
Tags:Medische thriller, Jane Rizzoli, Thomas Moore

The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen (2001)

English (83)  German (4)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (90)
So I come to this series as a fan of Rizzoli and Isles. Well, maybe not a hardcore fan. Let's say I love Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander from their previous cop show adventures, and I'm not quite willing to pass up a show that features BOTH of them. In its defense, R&I is getting better.

So, I've never as passionate about this genre of books as I am about my fantasy loves. That said, I enjoyed this as much as most of the Kathy Reich's books, and a hell of a lot more than Virals. Still can't say enough bad things about Virals.

Craving more characterization than this book gave, but since it's the first of a series, I can be patient. I'm trying not to hate book Rizzoli, but she really makes it hard, being so bitchy and one dimensional. Again, I'll be patient.

Good, believable story with decent characterization. I kind of wish that Dr. Cordell became the focus of the series, but I think that's Ms. Gerritsen's point. Rizzoli has her flaws and it's what makes her real. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
The Surgeon is billed, on the cover, as the first book in Tess Gerritsen’s “Rizzoli and Isles” series, and it is . . . sort of. Jane Rizzoli is present and accounted for, but as a supporting character in the story of Boston trauma surgeon Catherine Cordell: the would-be victim, and killer, of a notorious serial murderer known as The Surgeon.

Gerritsen keeps multiple subplots in play throughout the novel: a series of crimes in Boston that mirror those The Surgeon committed in Georgia years before, the efforts of Rizzoli and her partner Thomas Moore to solve them, Cordell’s traumatic flashbacks to her ordeal, threats against her that may be coming from the copycat killer, and the tangled personal lives of all three. Gerritsen balances them well, but the sheer number means that most of them are developed, most of the time, in fairly schematic ways. The police work is satisfying but streamlined, Rizzoli’s fight against marginalization (as the “new guy” and only woman among the detectives) is believable but over-familiar, and the identity of the killer feels—for lack of alternate suspects—almost inevitable. The story is consistently engrossing, but rarely gripping.

A consistent exception—not surprisingly, given Gerritsen’s medical background—are the hospital scenes of Cordell at work. They work both as medical drama and as characterization, establishing her as a tough, competent, resourceful woman, and rendering her actions (past and present alike) plausible. They make Cordell the one fully-realized character in the novel—though Moore comes close—and that, in turn, works to the book’s immeasurable benefit, since she takes center stage more and more often as the multi-threaded plot spins toward its climax. Reading The Surgeon with no real sense of where the series is going, I found myself looking forward to watching Gerritsen do similar things with Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles. ( )
1 vote ABVR | Apr 20, 2014 |
In this serial killer novel, the culprit is somebody with a medical background who has been dubbed by the media as “The Surgeon”. On the case are Detectives Moore and Rizzoli, who consulted in a case in Georgia a couple of years earlier. Tied into the two cases are Dr. Catherine Cordell, who killed the man responsible for the previous murders. She is now in Boston where the attacks are happening, and appears to be the center of the killer’s obsession.

I have read so many serial killer novels, that I tend to get bored by them. There is only so much that can be done on the subject, and it pretty much has already been done before. With the lack of new ground, there has to be something that really stands out to make it interesting. Nothing stands out about this novel. The writing is certainly solid and I don’t have much to complain about. It’s very obvious early on that the person performing the murders is someone who was involved with the original murderer, so the reveal is hardly surprising. Everything else about the novel is fairly generic and not horribly compelling. Not that this was a bad novel, it just doesn’t stand out.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Apr 1, 2014 |
I thought this book was really good but I am confused how Isles comes into play because she was not in this the first book at all. I will read the second one and maybe I will find out.
  Swade0710 | Mar 20, 2014 |
This is the first book of the police procedural series called Rizzoli & Isles. There is a hunt going on for a serial killer who kills rape victims and collects their uteruses as trophies. Two years ago, Catherine Cordell survived a similar attack and killed her attacker. So is this a copy cat or was there a subordinate.

This book has it all. A serial killer, police procedural, getting into the minds of the cops and lots of gore. It's a nice start to a promising series. ( )
  mausergem | Oct 7, 2013 |
Today they will find her body.

Today, they will find her body. I know how it will happen. I can picture, quite vividly, the sequence of events that will lead to the discovery...In Boston, there's a killer on the loose: a killer who targets lone women, who breaks into their apartments and performs terrifying ritualistic acts of torture on his victims before finishing them off. His surgical skills lead police to suspect he is a physician - a physician who, instead of saving lives, takes them. But as homicide detective, Thomas Moore and his partner Jane Rizzoli begin their investigation, they make a startling discovery. Closely linked to these killings is Catherine Cordell, a beautiful medic with a mysterious past. Two years ago, she was subjected to a horrifying rape and attempted murder but shot her attacker dead. Now, she is being targeted by this new killer who seems to know all about her past, her work at the Pilgrim Medical Center, and where she lives. The man she believes she killed seems to be stalking her once again, and this time he knows exactly where to find her...

Serial rapist
Tracks a prior rape victim.
Close call, all ends well!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345447840, Mass Market Paperback)

Penzler Pick, August 2001: Tess Gerritsen left a very successful career as an internist to raise her children and devote more time to writing. After several books that have had moderate success, Gerritsen has now written a gruesome and frightening story that should put her among the top women thriller writers working today.

A serial killer is on the loose in Boston. The victims are killed in a particularly nasty way: cut with a scalpel on the stomach, the intestines and uterus removed, and then the throat slashed. The killer obviously has medical knowledge and has been dubbed "the Surgeon" by the media. Detective Thomas Moore and his partner Rizzoli of the Boston Homicide Unit have discovered something that makes this case even more chilling. Years ago in Savannah a serial killer murdered in exactly the same way. He was finally stopped by his last victim, who shot him as he tried to cut her. That last victim is Dr. Catherine Cordell, who now works as a cardiac surgeon at one of Boston's prestigious hospitals. As the murders continue, it becomes obvious that the killer is drawing closer and closer to Dr. Cordell, who is becoming so frightened that she is virtually unable to function. But she is the only person who can help the police catch this copycat killer. Or is it a copycat? To complicate matters even further, Detective Moore, often referred to as Saint Thomas as he continues to mourn the loss of his wife, is getting emotionally involved with the doctor.

The suspense in The Surgeon is almost unbearable. The writing is superb and the stunning twists and turns make it almost impossible to put down. -- Otto Penzler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:16 -0400)

A female heart surgeon, terrorized by a serial killer in Boston using the same MO as a killer who attacked her during her internship years in Savannah, works with a detective to solve the crime while trying to stay alive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,697,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible