De chirurg by Tess Gerritsen

De chirurg (original 2001; edition 2009)

by Tess Gerritsen

Member:Vysoka
Title:De chirurg
Authors:Tess Gerritsen
Info:[Vianen] The House of Books 2009
Rating:*****
Tags:Medische thriller, Jane Rizzoli, Thomas Moore

The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen (2001)

Recently added bySarielle, swachowska, dBabbp, private library, Hemmop, Karen.Holding, bookwormteri, BiepBib, Rupelbib

English (87)  German (4)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (94)
I quite enjoyed this book. Thiller/Crime books are not really high on my to read stack/list of books to read, but I found this book enjoyable. Even through this book is listed as the first book in the Rizzoli & Isles series, I would call 'The Surgeon' a prequel.

If you like the TV Series of 'Rizzoli & Isles', you would like this series.

This book was so enjoyable that I read it under 20 hours. ( )
  DaffiMere | Feb 28, 2015 |
Surgeon Dr. Catherine Cordell lives cautiously, ever since what happened to her two years ago, when she was attacked and nearly died at the hands of a serial killer. In that incident, she managed to free herself and fatally wound the killer. After that, she moved away to rebuild her life and start over, and it works for a while.

Until a copycat killer stalks her to Boston and starts murdering young women in the same gruesome way the original killer did: by cutting out their wombs while they are conscious, and then slitting their throats.

Detectives Jane Rizzoli, an embittered and relentless woman out to prove herself in a male-dominated world, and Thomas Moore, her quiet-mannered partner, are assigned the current cases and notice the pattern between the two different killers. That Catherine is the intended target becomes increasingly apparent, as she finds even her home and career under siege.

What none of them suspects is that the killer could be someone who works right alongside any one of them, day after day, planning his next move with intimate foreknowledge and deadly intent.

A New York Times bestseller, THE SURGEON is the first book in thriller author Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli and Isles series (prior to Isles's joining the team). Gerritsen is renowned for her expertise in creating the most hair-raising, suspense-packed scenarios and throwing her characters (conflicted, believable, empathetic) into the mix.

There is never any question that the book will be well-written; literary agent and author Donald Maass cites THE SURGEON in his fantastic work, WRITING THE BREAKOUT NOVEL WORKBOOK, as an example of a book that goes above and beyond average expectations and commands vast attention because of its excellence.

Rizzoli, in particular, may appeal most to readers because of her struggle to define herself and her worth in the male-dominated world of law enforcement. Her bitterness, resentment, and callous exterior conceal a courageous heart absolutely committed to enacting justice on behalf of the oppressed ... which is why, when she finds herself embroiled in a scandal and demoted to desk duty, her actions are even more sympathetic.

What is most horrific about the work in terms of the terror factor is the chillingly realistic possibility that what happens to the characters --- to the murder victims --- could very easily happen to anyone. Does any one of us ever really know enough about the others with whom we come into contact in our daily lives? Enough to be entirely assured that another person is not driven by an insane obsession for our demise?

It's a question worth pondering.

# # #

Author: Tess Gerritsen
Title: THE SURGEON
Series: Rizzoli and Isles (Book #1)
ISBN: 978-0-345-44784-5
Purchase here: http://amzn.to/1zaLuDl

Disclaimer: The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  Eleanore_Trupkiewicz | Feb 20, 2015 |
A fairly standard serial killa thrilla, but well done. Reminiscent of some of Jeffrey Deaver, some of Thomas Harris. Lots of exsanguination, not for the queasy. Good character development; potential for stereotyping avoided by having a couple people learn things about themselves. This is the first Jane Rizzoli novel; I understand she gains a partner and creates a series. She has an awful chip on her shoulder in this one, but actually does a fair job of knocking it off by herself in the end.

Review written in March, 2011 ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Dec 1, 2014 |
Why did I now know about these books before the TV show, and why has it take me 2 years to actually start reading them? ( )
2 vote | ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
So I come to this series as a fan of Rizzoli and Isles. Well, maybe not a hardcore fan. Let's say I love Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander from their previous cop show adventures, and I'm not quite willing to pass up a show that features BOTH of them. In its defense, R&I is getting better.

So, I've never as passionate about this genre of books as I am about my fantasy loves. That said, I enjoyed this as much as most of the Kathy Reich's books, and a hell of a lot more than Virals. Still can't say enough bad things about Virals.

Craving more characterization than this book gave, but since it's the first of a series, I can be patient. I'm trying not to hate book Rizzoli, but she really makes it hard, being so bitchy and one dimensional. Again, I'll be patient.

Good, believable story with decent characterization. I kind of wish that Dr. Cordell became the focus of the series, but I think that's Ms. Gerritsen's point. Rizzoli has her flaws and it's what makes her real. ( )
1 vote drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
Today they will find her body.
4 CDs

Today, they will find her body. I know how it will happen. I can picture, quite vividly, the sequence of events that will lead to the discovery...In Boston, there's a killer on the loose: a killer who targets lone women, who breaks into their apartments and performs terrifying ritualistic acts of torture on his victims before finishing them off. His surgical skills lead police to suspect he is a physician - a physician who, instead of saving lives, takes them. But as homicide detective, Thomas Moore and his partner Jane Rizzoli begin their investigation, they make a startling discovery. Closely linked to these killings is Catherine Cordell, a beautiful medic with a mysterious past. Two years ago, she was subjected to a horrifying rape and attempted murder but shot her attacker dead. Now, she is being targeted by this new killer who seems to know all about her past, her work at the Pilgrim Medical Center, and where she lives. The man she believes she killed seems to be stalking her once again, and this time he knows exactly where to find her...
Serial rapist
Tracks a prior rape victim.
Close call, all ends well!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345447840, Mass Market Paperback)

Penzler Pick, August 2001: Tess Gerritsen left a very successful career as an internist to raise her children and devote more time to writing. After several books that have had moderate success, Gerritsen has now written a gruesome and frightening story that should put her among the top women thriller writers working today.

A serial killer is on the loose in Boston. The victims are killed in a particularly nasty way: cut with a scalpel on the stomach, the intestines and uterus removed, and then the throat slashed. The killer obviously has medical knowledge and has been dubbed "the Surgeon" by the media. Detective Thomas Moore and his partner Rizzoli of the Boston Homicide Unit have discovered something that makes this case even more chilling. Years ago in Savannah a serial killer murdered in exactly the same way. He was finally stopped by his last victim, who shot him as he tried to cut her. That last victim is Dr. Catherine Cordell, who now works as a cardiac surgeon at one of Boston's prestigious hospitals. As the murders continue, it becomes obvious that the killer is drawing closer and closer to Dr. Cordell, who is becoming so frightened that she is virtually unable to function. But she is the only person who can help the police catch this copycat killer. Or is it a copycat? To complicate matters even further, Detective Moore, often referred to as Saint Thomas as he continues to mourn the loss of his wife, is getting emotionally involved with the doctor.

The suspense in The Surgeon is almost unbearable. The writing is superb and the stunning twists and turns make it almost impossible to put down. -- Otto Penzler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:16 -0400)

A female heart surgeon, terrorized by a serial killer in Boston using the same MO as a killer who attacked her during her internship years in Savannah, works with a detective to solve the crime while trying to stay alive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,274,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible