Sleeping Arrangements by Madeleine Wickham

Sleeping Arrangements (edition 2004)

by Madeleine Wickham

Member:janersm
Title:Sleeping Arrangements
Authors:Madeleine Wickham
Info:BLACK SWAN (TWLD) (2004), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 303 pages
Rating:*
Tags:disappointing-books, chick-lit, read-in-2012, infidelity

Sleeping Arrangements by Madeleine Wickham

It was a cute, easy read. I could have done without the infidelity because they "had to find out", the 16-year-old losing his virginity to the nanny while the mom turned her back, and the pot smoking ... but I won't be a prude on this one. I was glad it was happily-ever-after.

I have a few others by Sophie Kinsella on my list, and will read another one by her. After that, I'll decide whether or not she is an author worth keeping on my TBR. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Ok. Easy read. Wickham is aka Sophie Kinsella, whose books I enjoy. Sleeping arrangements is more British, but a good story, some smiles, and interesting twists. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Nov 10, 2015 |
Ms. Wickham sets the reader up - two lovers torn apart, married to spouses that are difficult, suddenly reunited in awkward circumstances. You are sure that you are supposed to be rooting for them to get back together. I liked that in the end, there was loyalty to existing relationships but didn't like that there was infidelity. There are some funny parts in the storyline. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Sep 8, 2015 |
Best M.W. book I've read. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
I absolutely love Sophie Kinsella and this is the first book I've tried of her chick-lit line featuring less romance and more grounded issues—through her real name, Madeleine Wickham. Sleeping Arrangements is light, refreshing, and has a bit of a implausible—but still charmingly British—storyline; I enjoyed it immensely, but don't think it's something from which I took much away.

The hidden past surrounding Chloe and Hugh is slowly unraveled through flashbacks. From their first encounter at Gerard's villa, there's an explosive recognition—boom. From there on, readers slowly learn what exactly it is that's between them, and how exactly they'll react. Without giving too much away, I will say the plot itself was highly extractable and far-fetched, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Wickham's characters aren't particularly deep. For the most part, they're static and unrelateable, but she pens them with such grace and endearment, that I can't help but like them all. Even the ones that are portrayed negatively, such as Hugh's ridiculously anal wife, Amanda, are pleasing and entertaining to follow.

The highlight of this novel would definitely be its execution. The plot and characters themselves are mediocre and unremarkable, but the writing flows easily, and Wickham's style is smooth, often subtly hilarious, and blithe. I breezed through this novel; Sleeping Arrangements is a quick, lighthearted story set to the backdrop of a gorgeous Spanish town; a great read for a sunny day!

Pros: Charmingly clever // Witty and perceptive // Linear storyline // Light, breezy read // Masterful, yet brief description of Spanish countryside

Cons: Shallow, two-dimensional characters // Nothing deep or profound // Unmemorable

Verdict: Cute and fluffy, Sleeping Arrangements isn't particularly complex or profound, but it's a damn entertaining read. The characters are fun to get to know and the story unravels by itself; this is effortless, feel-good chick-lit with stormy twists and turns and a penchant for family values. Madeleine Wickham weaves a funny, breezy, and tender story with her usual British magnetism and sprightliness of touch.

Rating: 8 out of 10 hearts (4 stars): An engaging read; highly recommended.

Source: Complimentary copy provided by TripFiction in exchange for an honest and unbiased review (thank you!). ( )
  stephanieloves | May 29, 2013 |

Chloe needs a holiday. She's sick of making wedding dresses, her partner Philip has troubles at work, and the whole family wants a break. Her wealthy friend Gerard has offered the loan of his luxury villa in Spain--perfect.

Hugh is not a happy man. His immaculate wife Amanda seems more interested in her new kitchen than in him, and he works so hard to pay for it, he barely has time for his children. Maybe he'll have a chance to bond with them on holiday. His old friend Gerard has lent them a luxury villa in Spain--perfect.

Both families arrive at the villa and realize the awful truth--Gerard has double-booked. What no one else realizes is that Chloe and Hugh have a history; and as tensions rise within the two families, old passions resurface. It seems that Gerard's 'accidental' double booking may not be an accident after all...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:06 -0400)

Thanks to a mutual friends's invitation, two families meet in a luxury villa in Spain and discover their room is overbooked, igniting old passions and tensions.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sleeping Arrangements by Madeleine Wickham was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,104,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible