Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Where the Wild Things Are (1963)

by Maurice Sendak

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (bethielouwho)
    There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both deal with fantasy and imagination and both are from the genius of Sendack
    Miranda's umbrella by Val Biro (bookel)
    Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm (Hibou8)
    The Wild Things by Dave Eggers (sweetandsyko)
    sweetandsyko: where the wild things are is such a good childrens picture book. I recommend the wild things for adults to read! certain copies even have furry covers like the monsters from the story!
    Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody by Maurice Send-up (bookel)
    Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed (wosret)

Summary: This is the story about a very wild little boy, Max, and his adventures with the wild things. After wanting to be wild, a boy travels by boat to a paradise where he can act and behave as wildly as he wishes, but the boy gets a bit more than he bargained for!

Personal Reaction: I love this story. The little boy is so caring, and loves adventure. I think the pictures really help pull this story together to help really visualize what he is experiencing!

Classroom extensions: For the classroom, I think it would be a great idea for students to draw their idea of what a wild thing should look like. I think they could also draw what their idea of the island our wild things live at would look like to them. I also think it would be neat if students made their own crown. ( )
1 vote CelesteJoy | Aug 21, 2015 |
Max, a boy who is sent to bed without any dinner, goes on an adventure to a world of beasts. But he soon finds out that they are not as scary as they first seem to be. The colorful illustrations and imaginative storytelling make this book widely known.
  kharper0718 | Aug 12, 2015 |
I LOVE everything about this book. The author sends the message of unconditional love even if you are a bit naughty. No matter how much Max has misbehaved one thing is for sure, his mother will always love him.
  foleysh | Jul 28, 2015 |
This is a very good fantasy book for children. Max, dressed like a wild animal, was sent to his room with no supper for talking back to his mother. While in there, he went to a far away place with other wild things and controlled the jungle. They had a fun time swinging from trees, stomping the yards, and celebrating him being the king. Until he realized he was lonely when they went to bed, and was starting to get hungry. So he sailed back home, to his room, where his dinner was waiting on him.

I enjoyed this book. I liked the pictures, they are different "wild things" than what you would see in any other children's book. I would recommend reading this to a classroom for the imagination to grow.

Classroom ideas would be the kids could dress up as little "wild things" during this reading, in paper masks and such. They could discuss where they would like to go "rule their world." ( )
  charli87 | Jul 15, 2015 |
Summary: Max gets in trouble and is sent to bed early. A forest appears in his room and his walls give way to the outside world. He sails to the land of the wild things, tames them with his bravery, and becomes the king. He eventually gets too hungry and returns to his room, where his mother has left his dinner.

Personal Reaction: This book reminds me of just how strong the imagination can be. I remember playing games like these with my cousins when I was little. The artwork is not very detailed or realistic but it is certainly creative!

Classroom Extensions:
1. Draw your own "wild things".
2. Make and decorate a paper crown.
3. Turn the classroom into a forest.
  hwheeler13 | Jul 8, 2015 |
This is a great book to encourage imagination in your students. It is a fun book.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another, his mother called him wild thing. And so he said, "I'll eat you UP!" And so he was sent to bed without eating anything.
...Max said, "BE STILL!" and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once and they were frightened and called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all wild things.
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
This book uses the same ISBN as a Disney Counting book.

"Where the Wild Things Are" is about a boy named Max who is dressed in wolf suit. It is a story about Max and his imagination. After getting in trouble and sent to his room without dinner, Max falls asleep and dreams. He dreams about being the king of all the wild things, and even though the wild things are fond of him, it does not stop their desire to eat him. Max wants to go home, and when he wakes up from his imaginative dream he sees that his mother has, in fact, left him dinner. This story is a great tale to be read to children and will teach them the importance of self-acceptance and allowing their imagination to take off.

AR 3.4, Pts 0.5
הספר מספר את סיפורו של מקס, שערב אחד "עושה צרות ממין אחד וממין אחר" בחליפת הזאב שלו. כעונש, אימו שולחת אותו למיטתו מבלי לאכול ארוחת ערב. בחדרו, מקס מפליג בדמיון ל"ארץ יצורי הפרא", שם נתקל במפלצות גדולות ומפחידות, אולם מקס כובש אותם בעזרת מבט מפחיד אחד ובעקבות כך הוא מוכתר למלך המקום. למרות זאת, מקס מרגיש בודד ומתגעגע לביתו. הוא חוזר לחדרו, שם הוא מוצא את ארוחת הערב שלו מחכה לו "עדיין חמה.
Sent to bed hungry?
Let the wild rumpus begin!
Master of my world.

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060254920, Hardcover)

Where the Wild Things Are is one of those truly rare books that can be enjoyed equally by a child and a grown-up. If you disagree, then it's been too long since you've attended a wild rumpus. Max dons his wolf suit in pursuit of some mischief and gets sent to bed without supper. Fortuitously, a forest grows in his room, allowing his wild rampage to continue unimpaired. Sendak's color illustrations (perhaps his finest) are beautiful, and each turn of the page brings the discovery of a new wonder.

The wild things--with their mismatched parts and giant eyes--manage somehow to be scary-looking without ever really being scary; at times they're downright hilarious. Sendak's defiantly run-on sentences--one of his trademarks--lend the perfect touch of stream of consciousness to the tale, which floats between the land of dreams and a child's imagination.

This Sendak classic is more fun than you've ever had in a wolf suit, and it manages to reaffirm the notion that there's no place like home.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:23 -0400)

A naughty little boy, sent to bed without his supper, sails to the land of the wild things where he becomes their king.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,008,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible