Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Where the Wild Things Are (1963)

by Maurice Sendak

12,466740194 ()131
    The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (bethielouwho)
    There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both deal with fantasy and imagination and both are from the genius of Sendack
    Miranda's umbrella by Val Biro (bookel)
    Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm (Hibou8)
    The Wild Things by Dave Eggers (sweetandsyko)
    sweetandsyko: where the wild things are is such a good childrens picture book. I recommend the wild things for adults to read! certain copies even have furry covers like the monsters from the story!
    Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody by Maurice Send-up (bookel)
    Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed (wosret)

This is a really hard book to review. As a child I can remember being drawn to it for the graphic illustrations. As an adult, reading about Sendaks life, I can only look at those same illustrations and see the sadness and rage of a life full of setbacks.

Beyond that, it is a tale of what it is truly like to be a child. One of infinite exploration and discovery. The journey on the boat to the land of the Wild Things was stuff of legend in this young mind.

I have not complaints about this book. In my mind it is the perfect children's book. One that can be appreciated as a child and then revisited as an adult with a truly new experience. ( )
  pcadig1 | Feb 19, 2015 |
I love this book. I think it shows students that everyone has a sense of imagination and everyone’s imagination is different. One person may imagine they are where the monsters are, and others may imagine unicorns. This book is cute because he thinks he has missed dinner because he had to sail through oceans and walk through the forest, were as, he was not gone for long in his world of imagination. Every child has a sense of imagination, and this is a look into one child’s imaginative world.

The pictures are kind of dark and gloomy when he is with the monsters and their facial expressions are very accurate. The boy says they seem mean so they are all illustrated with scary faces. As the boy tells them to stop, their faces become friendlier. The boy’s face when he arrives home in time for dinner shows excitement. The readers can really tell the characters emotions when they look at their faces in the illustrations.

The language in the book is very easy and simple. The reader would not have trouble reading this book alone during silent reading time. Students who like to read traditional fantasy books will really enjoy this
  jbarro3 | Feb 16, 2015 |
I would definitely recommend “Where the Wild Things Are” by Maurice Sendak. I liked this book for many reasons. First, I liked how this book addressed the idea of being punished for misbehaving. Even though Max is sent to bed without dinner, it is made clear in the book that his parents still love him. Second, I really liked the illustrations in this book. I especially liked how the illustrations show Max’s room turning into a forest. The illustrations of all the creatures were also very creative. Third, I like the language used in this book. It was very descriptive and gave the reader a good idea of what the vine-covered forest might look like. I like how this book is told in third-person because it provides an interesting/engaging perspective. This book included a lot of dialogue which I really liked because it kept the reader interested. The main message of this book is that home is where the heart is. When Max sends the monsters to bed, he realizes that it is now time to go back home because that is where he will always be loved. ( )
  marmig2 | Feb 13, 2015 |
This book is about a little boy named Max who is sent to his room. His room then turns into an island with a monster on it. Max becomes the king.
I used to read this book everyday to my group of 3yr olds. They especially loved the pages that didn't have words because every time we read it, I made something else up to match the story. they also loved making monster sounds.
classroom extension: In my classroom I will allow the children to make monster masks. I will also allow them to play dress up and act out different scenes from the story. ( )
  TameitriaJ | Feb 11, 2015 |
Where the Wild Things Are written and illustrated by Maurice Sendak

Summary: Where the Wild Things Are is a book about a boy named Max who causes mischief one night in his wolf suit. His mother sends him to bed with no supper, and calls him a “wild thing!” So Max’s imagination creates an entire world in his bedroom, where he sails on his own boat to the place where the wild things live, and becomes their king. But he soon becomes lonely and wants to be where he is loved most of all, and so he returns home to find his dinner waiting for him in his room, where it is still hot.

Personal Reaction: I love this book. I love how most of the story is enhanced through the pictures, and that by looking at them in detail as you read, it gives you more information than just the words alone. I love how the book shows how Max learned that being a “wild thing” can be lonely, and the ending is just really sweet to me.

Extension Ideas:
1. Have the children create their own Wild Thing, a drawing, a mask made from a paper plate, or even a puppet made from a paper bag.
2. Children could make their own crowns and be the king or queen of the wild things themselves.
3. Grow their own little “jungle” at school. Teach them how to plant a seed and let them water it so they can watch it grow.
  yelhsajoh | Feb 11, 2015 |
This is a great book to encourage imagination in your students. It is a fun book.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another, his mother called him wild thing. And so he said, "I'll eat you UP!" And so he was sent to bed without eating anything.
...Max said, "BE STILL!" and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once and they were frightened and called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all wild things.
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
This book uses the same ISBN as a Disney Counting book.

"Where the Wild Things Are" is about a boy named Max who is dressed in wolf suit. It is a story about Max and his imagination. After getting in trouble and sent to his room without dinner, Max falls asleep and dreams. He dreams about being the king of all the wild things, and even though the wild things are fond of him, it does not stop their desire to eat him. Max wants to go home, and when he wakes up from his imaginative dream he sees that his mother has, in fact, left him dinner. This story is a great tale to be read to children and will teach them the importance of self-acceptance and allowing their imagination to take off.

AR 3.4, Pts 0.5
הספר מספר את סיפורו של מקס, שערב אחד "עושה צרות ממין אחד וממין אחר" בחליפת הזאב שלו. כעונש, אימו שולחת אותו למיטתו מבלי לאכול ארוחת ערב. בחדרו, מקס מפליג בדמיון ל"ארץ יצורי הפרא", שם נתקל במפלצות גדולות ומפחידות, אולם מקס כובש אותם בעזרת מבט מפחיד אחד ובעקבות כך הוא מוכתר למלך המקום. למרות זאת, מקס מרגיש בודד ומתגעגע לביתו. הוא חוזר לחדרו, שם הוא מוצא את ארוחת הערב שלו מחכה לו "עדיין חמה.
Sent to bed hungry?
Let the wild rumpus begin!
Master of my world.

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060254920, Hardcover)

Where the Wild Things Are is one of those truly rare books that can be enjoyed equally by a child and a grown-up. If you disagree, then it's been too long since you've attended a wild rumpus. Max dons his wolf suit in pursuit of some mischief and gets sent to bed without supper. Fortuitously, a forest grows in his room, allowing his wild rampage to continue unimpaired. Sendak's color illustrations (perhaps his finest) are beautiful, and each turn of the page brings the discovery of a new wonder.

The wild things--with their mismatched parts and giant eyes--manage somehow to be scary-looking without ever really being scary; at times they're downright hilarious. Sendak's defiantly run-on sentences--one of his trademarks--lend the perfect touch of stream of consciousness to the tale, which floats between the land of dreams and a child's imagination.

This Sendak classic is more fun than you've ever had in a wolf suit, and it manages to reaffirm the notion that there's no place like home.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:35 -0400)

A naughty little boy, sent to bed without his supper, sails to the land of the wild things where he becomes their king.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,682,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible