Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Where the Wild Things Are (1963)

by Maurice Sendak

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (bethielouwho)
    There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both deal with fantasy and imagination and both are from the genius of Sendack
    Miranda's umbrella by Val Biro (bookel)
    Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm (Hibou8)
    The Wild Things by Dave Eggers (sweetandsyko)
    sweetandsyko: where the wild things are is such a good childrens picture book. I recommend the wild things for adults to read! certain copies even have furry covers like the monsters from the story!
    Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody by Maurice Send-up (bookel)
    Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed (wosret)

Summary:
Where the Wild Things Are is about Max, a boy who dresses up in his wolf costume and makes mischief throughout his home. His misbehavior prompts his mother to send him to bed without supper. As the night goes on, Max’s bedroom transforms into an island populated by ferocious monsters known as the “Wild Things”. Max, unimpressed by their attempts to scare him, tames them and becomes their king. He and the Wild Things play, but Max decides to give it all up and return home, much to the Wild Things’ discontent. When he arrives in his bedroom, he discovers his supper waiting for him.

Personal Reaction:
I have read this book multiple times, as it is one of my favorite books! This book’s illustrations are wonderful and unique. They add to the meaning of the words and elaborate the story in ways that words cannot through enhancing interaction. They basically make the story come to life. There are so many different textures, the most prevalent being cross-hatching, making this book stand out among the rest. Also, the muted colors perfectly set the scene and do not distract from the overall story.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1.) Have the children create their own monster out of various materials such as construction paper, paints, buttons, markers, crayons, sequins, feathers, and yarn. Have them name it and tell the class a story about it.
2.) Have the children write a story about the different kinds of mischief that Max makes.
  JennyDodson | Feb 10, 2016 |
I would use this book in a second grade class and have the kids write their own short stories and illustrate them. ( )
  SarahSangalli | Feb 9, 2016 |
There are two reasons why I like this book and one part that I did have some mixed feelings about, specifically the emotional content. The main reason I enjoy this book is because of the author’s illustrations. There are points in the novel when only an illustration is shown on the page. For example in the first few pages you will come across a wordless page where Max has an angry expression on his face and he is hammering in his room. The illustration was able to convey just how frustrated and hurt he was without a single word. The second reason I enjoyed this book is because of the organization and flow of the writing. An example would be like the one shown on page 11, the only line written is “and another”, which isn’t accompanied by any illustrations and other text. The author’s organization of this writing showed that Max was being so bad that they couldn’t even illustrate all the mischief he was going and had gotten into, and just how frustrated his parents must be getting. The main concern I had reading this book that I didn’t like was that it was too dark for some students to read, especially those dealing with abandonment issues. When Max is leaving the monster’s say “Oh please don’t go well each you up we love you so!” for some students this could be confusing or perceived as dark. The book’s big message is not to judge someone by his or her appearance. ( )
  Rvealey | Feb 9, 2016 |
Summary: Max was a mischievous kid his mother called him the Wild Thing. That night with max's imagination a forest grew in his room along with an ocean. The wild things then began to appear. Max had given up trying to be the king of the wild things. The wild things wanted Max to stay. When max got home from his little adventure his dinner was waiting for him in his room.
Personal Reaction: I loved this book I read it when I was a child and I still enjoy reading it I can not wait to read it to my classroom.
Classroom Extensions: This book teaches children that it is ok to have an imagination and to pretend that some things are real.
  Emily_Wilkinson | Feb 8, 2016 |
This book would be perfect for a read-aloud in grades K-3. I think this would be appropriate for boys, but some girls may find it enjoyable. I could use this book to teach a lesson about fantasy and imagination as well. ( )
  SalemSmith | Feb 2, 2016 |
This is a great book to encourage imagination in your students. It is a fun book.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another, his mother called him wild thing. And so he said, "I'll eat you UP!" And so he was sent to bed without eating anything.
...Max said, "BE STILL!" and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once and they were frightened and called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all wild things.
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
This book uses the same ISBN as a Disney Counting book.

"Where the Wild Things Are" is about a boy named Max who is dressed in wolf suit. It is a story about Max and his imagination. After getting in trouble and sent to his room without dinner, Max falls asleep and dreams. He dreams about being the king of all the wild things, and even though the wild things are fond of him, it does not stop their desire to eat him. Max wants to go home, and when he wakes up from his imaginative dream he sees that his mother has, in fact, left him dinner. This story is a great tale to be read to children and will teach them the importance of self-acceptance and allowing their imagination to take off.

AR 3.4, Pts 0.5
הספר מספר את סיפורו של מקס, שערב אחד "עושה צרות ממין אחד וממין אחר" בחליפת הזאב שלו. כעונש, אימו שולחת אותו למיטתו מבלי לאכול ארוחת ערב. בחדרו, מקס מפליג בדמיון ל"ארץ יצורי הפרא", שם נתקל במפלצות גדולות ומפחידות, אולם מקס כובש אותם בעזרת מבט מפחיד אחד ובעקבות כך הוא מוכתר למלך המקום. למרות זאת, מקס מרגיש בודד ומתגעגע לביתו. הוא חוזר לחדרו, שם הוא מוצא את ארוחת הערב שלו מחכה לו "עדיין חמה.
Sent to bed hungry?
Let the wild rumpus begin!
Master of my world.

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060254920, Hardcover)

Where the Wild Things Are is one of those truly rare books that can be enjoyed equally by a child and a grown-up. If you disagree, then it's been too long since you've attended a wild rumpus. Max dons his wolf suit in pursuit of some mischief and gets sent to bed without supper. Fortuitously, a forest grows in his room, allowing his wild rampage to continue unimpaired. Sendak's color illustrations (perhaps his finest) are beautiful, and each turn of the page brings the discovery of a new wonder.

The wild things--with their mismatched parts and giant eyes--manage somehow to be scary-looking without ever really being scary; at times they're downright hilarious. Sendak's defiantly run-on sentences--one of his trademarks--lend the perfect touch of stream of consciousness to the tale, which floats between the land of dreams and a child's imagination.

This Sendak classic is more fun than you've ever had in a wolf suit, and it manages to reaffirm the notion that there's no place like home.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:23 -0400)

A naughty little boy, sent to bed without his supper, sails to the land of the wild things where he becomes their king.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,175,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible