Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Where the Wild Things Are (1963)

by Maurice Sendak

11,591None229 (4.36)124
    The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (bethielouwho)
    There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both deal with fantasy and imagination and both are from the genius of Sendack
    Miranda's umbrella by Val Biro (bookel)
    Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm (Hibou8)
    The Wild Things by Dave Eggers (sweetandsyko)
    sweetandsyko: where the wild things are is such a good childrens picture book. I recommend the wild things for adults to read! certain copies even have furry covers like the monsters from the story!
    Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody by Maurice Send-up (bookel)
    Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed (wosret)

English (629)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  English (Middle) (1)  German (1)  All languages (634)
I remember reading this book as a child, and while I enjoyed it, it wasn’t one of my favorite that I read over and over again. However, reading it again as an adult, I discovered that, in my opinion, this is a great story. One of my favorite aspects of the book is the way it was written. For example, the use of sensory language in this story makes for an exciting tale, while also providing alternative vocabulary to strengthen literacy skills: “And the wild things roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws.” In addition to the language, I like the development of the main character, Max. While, in my opinion, his character seems simplified to an extent, his character also shares a very personal part of himself by explaining his desire to be loved and accepted. The illustrations are beautiful and creative, which is evident as Where the Wild Things Are received a Caldecott Medal. The palette is dark and limited, which does not exactly coincide with the light, imaginative mood of the story, however, in my opinion, the contrast between the art and the text is intriguing, and I feel that the gloomy nature of the color scheme reflects the way Max feels internally. The big idea of this book is that no matter what happens there are people in the world who love you unconditionally and welcome you gratefully. ( )
  kbrash1 | Apr 10, 2014 |
This is a cute story about a boy that gets dressed up in a wolf suit and upsets everyone in his home, so mom sends him to his room without any supper and tells home, "Your a Wild Thing". He imagines that he is a wolf in a forest. He thinks his room turns into a wild forest and an ocean appears, he jumps in a boat and rows himself to land where the wild things "beast" are waiting for him. He makes them bow to him and he tricks them into letting him be the king. They hang from trees, they swing from tress and they finally go to sleep. Little wolf realized that he was lonely and he wanted to go home. So he rowed himself home, where he found his supper waiting for him.

Personal Reaction- I remember one time as a child being sent to my room without any supper. I can't remember now what I did, but my parents were really mad at me.

Classroom Extension- I would have the children make a mask pertaining to the wild beast and we could retell the story.
I would show the children a video clip of where the wild things are.
  mamacita9 | Apr 9, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading this book. One aspect I truly enjoyed about this book was the illustrations. Not only are the images well drawn vivid images but add to the details of the story. For example, as Max becomes more and more involved in his imagination, the pictures become bigger and bigger and then become smaller as he moves farther out of his imagination. Also, I enjoyed that it is very relatable to children who often “get lost” in their imagination. I think children would truly enjoy to see that it is acceptable and fun to have a big imagination. The main idea of this story is that one’s imagination can take him/her anywhere he/she wants to go. ( )
  kjacob9 | Apr 7, 2014 |
I enjoy this classic children’s book for many reasons. The language is very descriptive and clear to understand. An example of descriptive language used in the book is, “They roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws.” This helps the reader better visualize the story, while also referring to the illustrations. The writing is engaging and paced well. There are small amounts of text on each page because the illustrations are the main focus. On three of the pages, there are no words. The reader views the pictures in order to understand what is occurring. The misfit boy in this story is relatable to many young boys and girls. Most children make mischief and get in trouble for it by their parents. Also, the imagination of a young child runs wild, much like the boy in this story. The illustrations are necessary component to this book. Beautifully detailed drawings are spread across the pages. The colors are very appropriate for the mood of the story. The reader feels as if they are in this deep forest with wild creatures due to the dark and faded colors. The “wild things” are drawn with great detail an animation, especially when their claws and sharp teeth are protruding outward. The big idea of this story is children have very powerful imaginations, which can seem like reality to them. Readers also learn that if they are far away from home for an extended time, they can always come back home and have a hot meal waiting for them, thanks to their loving families. ( )
  jgiann2 | Apr 7, 2014 |
I also remember this being a childhood favorite for me. This is a modern fantasy picture book for kindergartners – 2nd grade. This is a great and fun book that appeals to kid’s extreme imaginations (I know I was one of them!) and I would definitely consider this as a must-read for young readers. I like this book because of the character’s incredible imagination, and the adventures he embarks all when he was supposedly stuck in his room. Though he travels to far lands and meets strange creatures, in the end he still chooses to come back to his cozy home and to the people who love him. I think the central message of this book is the places you can go when you have imagination, and also that no matter how far you travel, it is always best to come back to the people you love. ( )
  BeckieZimmerman | Apr 7, 2014 |
This is a great book to encourage imagination in your students. It is a fun book.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another, his mother called him wild thing. And so he said, "I'll eat you UP!" And so he was sent to bed without eating anything.
...Max said, "BE STILL!" and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once and they were frightened and called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all wild things.
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
This book uses the same ISBN as a Disney Counting book.

"Where the Wild Things Are" is about a boy named Max who is dressed in wolf suit. It is a story about Max and his imagination. After getting in trouble and sent to his room without dinner, Max falls asleep and dreams. He dreams about being the king of all the wild things, and even though the wild things are fond of him, it does not stop their desire to eat him. Max wants to go home, and when he wakes up from his imaginative dream he sees that his mother has, in fact, left him dinner. This story is a great tale to be read to children and will teach them the importance of self-acceptance and allowing their imagination to take off.

AR 3.4, Pts 0.5
הספר מספר את סיפורו של מקס, שערב אחד "עושה צרות ממין אחד וממין אחר" בחליפת הזאב שלו. כעונש, אימו שולחת אותו למיטתו מבלי לאכול ארוחת ערב. בחדרו, מקס מפליג בדמיון ל"ארץ יצורי הפרא", שם נתקל במפלצות גדולות ומפחידות, אולם מקס כובש אותם בעזרת מבט מפחיד אחד ובעקבות כך הוא מוכתר למלך המקום. למרות זאת, מקס מרגיש בודד ומתגעגע לביתו. הוא חוזר לחדרו, שם הוא מוצא את ארוחת הערב שלו מחכה לו "עדיין חמה.
Sent to bed hungry?
Let the wild rumpus begin!
Master of my world.

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060254920, Hardcover)

Where the Wild Things Are is one of those truly rare books that can be enjoyed equally by a child and a grown-up. If you disagree, then it's been too long since you've attended a wild rumpus. Max dons his wolf suit in pursuit of some mischief and gets sent to bed without supper. Fortuitously, a forest grows in his room, allowing his wild rampage to continue unimpaired. Sendak's color illustrations (perhaps his finest) are beautiful, and each turn of the page brings the discovery of a new wonder.

The wild things--with their mismatched parts and giant eyes--manage somehow to be scary-looking without ever really being scary; at times they're downright hilarious. Sendak's defiantly run-on sentences--one of his trademarks--lend the perfect touch of stream of consciousness to the tale, which floats between the land of dreams and a child's imagination.

This Sendak classic is more fun than you've ever had in a wolf suit, and it manages to reaffirm the notion that there's no place like home.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:35 -0400)

A naughty little boy, sent to bed without his supper, sails to the land of the wild things where he becomes their king.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,433,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible