Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Where the Wild Things Are (1963)

by Maurice Sendak

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (bethielouwho)
    There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both deal with fantasy and imagination and both are from the genius of Sendack
    Miranda's umbrella by Val Biro (bookel)
    Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm (Hibou8)
    The Wild Things by Dave Eggers (sweetandsyko)
    sweetandsyko: where the wild things are is such a good childrens picture book. I recommend the wild things for adults to read! certain copies even have furry covers like the monsters from the story!
    Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody by Maurice Send-up (bookel)
    Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed (wosret)

I loved this book as a child and I have read it multiple times to the three-year-old boy I babysit and he loves it. I think this book is great for people of all ages and I am so glad it was made into a movie. I found the illustrations in the book to be capturing and vivid. I loved that the illustrator drew Max’s room changing into a forest. I felt that it showed the story starting to unfold and how creative/imaginative Max is. The illustrations of all the “Wild Things” were also very creative and detailed. I found the darker color choices fit perfectly with the story and made me focus on the illustrations. I also enjoyed the language the author chose to use in this book. The author was very descriptive and allowed the readers to paint a picture, of their own imagination, of the dark vine-covered forest might look like. Lastly I liked that the author wrote the book in third person. I found the third person’s perspective to be engaging and drew me further into the story. ( )
  corzel1 | Mar 3, 2015 |
This book is about a child named Max who in the beginning of the book is acting a little wild like children do when they are pretending. In the book Maxs’ mom sends him to his room without dinner for acting like a wild thing. So when he gets to his room his imagination takes over and his room becomes a jungle. Then he imagines that he is on a boat that is taking him to an island where the wild things are. He gets to the island and the wild things are roaring and showing their teeth and being wild and Max tells them to be quiet and the wild things say Max is the most wild of the wild things. So max becomes the king of the wild things and have the wild things do all sorts of things and then sends them to bed with no dinner. Max is sitting in his tent thinking that he is lonely and is missing home and he starts to smell food and then he appears back in his bedroom where his dinner is there and hot.

I like this book because of the illustrations in the book are very detailed and go with the story line of the book. Such as when a person reads through the book the illustrations get bigger and bigger as Max’s imagination takes over and goes from being on one page in the beginning of the book to going across both pages by the end of the book. Another reason I like this book is that it for shadows what is going to happen later in the book through the illustrations as well. Like on the first page where Max has sheet thrown over a string with a stole in it and it looks like the tent that he is sitting in later in the book where he on the island of the wild things and he is sitting on a stole in a tent. Another example of this is when Max is coming down the stairs in the beginning of the book there is a drawing of one of the wild things faces in a picture frame hanging from the wall. Over all I like this book because it shows people to use their imaginations to get away from where they are at. ( )
  bwinte3 | Mar 3, 2015 |
Summary: When Max gets too wild, he's sent to bed without supper, when his room is transformed into a world where he sails to the land where the wild things are and becomes their king. ( )
  AmandaLK | Mar 2, 2015 |
Easily one of my favorite picture books, 'Where the Wild Things Are' is a wonderful tale about the unconditional love and bond between mother and child.
This was my first time reading the book in English; I had only ever read the book in its German translation, and I think that I appreciate the German text more because it is the text that I had read to me when I was a child. It has a nostalgic hold on me that the original text, no matter how ingenious, will never have and I'm pretty sure that when the time comes, I will read 'Wo die Wilden Kerle Wohnen' to my child(ren) and not the English original. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Feb 27, 2015 |
A favorite read many times with my son. This book absolutely captures the essence of childhood, in my opinion. ( )
  sturlington | Feb 27, 2015 |
This is a great book to encourage imagination in your students. It is a fun book.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another, his mother called him wild thing. And so he said, "I'll eat you UP!" And so he was sent to bed without eating anything.
...Max said, "BE STILL!" and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once and they were frightened and called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all wild things.
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
This book uses the same ISBN as a Disney Counting book.

"Where the Wild Things Are" is about a boy named Max who is dressed in wolf suit. It is a story about Max and his imagination. After getting in trouble and sent to his room without dinner, Max falls asleep and dreams. He dreams about being the king of all the wild things, and even though the wild things are fond of him, it does not stop their desire to eat him. Max wants to go home, and when he wakes up from his imaginative dream he sees that his mother has, in fact, left him dinner. This story is a great tale to be read to children and will teach them the importance of self-acceptance and allowing their imagination to take off.

AR 3.4, Pts 0.5
הספר מספר את סיפורו של מקס, שערב אחד "עושה צרות ממין אחד וממין אחר" בחליפת הזאב שלו. כעונש, אימו שולחת אותו למיטתו מבלי לאכול ארוחת ערב. בחדרו, מקס מפליג בדמיון ל"ארץ יצורי הפרא", שם נתקל במפלצות גדולות ומפחידות, אולם מקס כובש אותם בעזרת מבט מפחיד אחד ובעקבות כך הוא מוכתר למלך המקום. למרות זאת, מקס מרגיש בודד ומתגעגע לביתו. הוא חוזר לחדרו, שם הוא מוצא את ארוחת הערב שלו מחכה לו "עדיין חמה.
Sent to bed hungry?
Let the wild rumpus begin!
Master of my world.

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060254920, Hardcover)

Where the Wild Things Are is one of those truly rare books that can be enjoyed equally by a child and a grown-up. If you disagree, then it's been too long since you've attended a wild rumpus. Max dons his wolf suit in pursuit of some mischief and gets sent to bed without supper. Fortuitously, a forest grows in his room, allowing his wild rampage to continue unimpaired. Sendak's color illustrations (perhaps his finest) are beautiful, and each turn of the page brings the discovery of a new wonder.

The wild things--with their mismatched parts and giant eyes--manage somehow to be scary-looking without ever really being scary; at times they're downright hilarious. Sendak's defiantly run-on sentences--one of his trademarks--lend the perfect touch of stream of consciousness to the tale, which floats between the land of dreams and a child's imagination.

This Sendak classic is more fun than you've ever had in a wolf suit, and it manages to reaffirm the notion that there's no place like home.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:35 -0400)

A naughty little boy, sent to bed without his supper, sails to the land of the wild things where he becomes their king.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,800,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible