Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Where the Wild Things Are (1963)

by Maurice Sendak

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (bethielouwho)
    There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both deal with fantasy and imagination and both are from the genius of Sendack
    Miranda's umbrella by Val Biro (bookel)
    Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm (Hibou8)
    The Wild Things by Dave Eggers (sweetandsyko)
    sweetandsyko: where the wild things are is such a good childrens picture book. I recommend the wild things for adults to read! certain copies even have furry covers like the monsters from the story!
    Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody by Maurice Send-up (bookel)
    Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed (wosret)

Summary

Max took on the persona of a wolf running wild free when he put on his costume. When his mom called him Wild Thing he snapped at her and found himself in his room without dinner. Despite his situation his situation he still felt in charge like a king until he became hungry and lonely.

Personal Reaction

I have my own little 3 year old wild thing at home. He’s not a wolf though he’s Spiderman the destroyer of anything breakable.

Classroom Extension Ideas:

1. Have the children dress up in costumes and play the role of the Wild Things.
2. Help come up with ideas of things Max could’ve done during his long boat rides.
3. Help solve the mystery of why Max’s dinner was still warm after years away from home. ( )
  r.johnson | Jun 29, 2015 |
This is another classic from my childhood. This book followed a little boy named Max and he dreamt of a land where all the wild things are. The message of this story came down to appreciate everything you have. Max was upset with his mom, so he left for this land and wanted to come at the end of the trip because he was lonely and wanted to be back with his mom. The illustrations are quite interesting, as the story goes on the illustrations get larger and more detailed. Doing this effect with the illustrations grab the readers attention, and try to have them follow along even more. ( )
  sceres1 | May 4, 2015 |
I wondered after the movie if I'd come back to this and find it a bit too precious, too Spike Jonezy, too obscurely new world order, one of those things you don't have a choice about liking or risk being somehow anti-childhood, shunnable, howling alone to yourself that they don't know that Steve Jobs is monetizing their nostalgia or their whimsy somehow if only you could prove it, you crazy. But nope! This is the best, and Emmett loves it, and I may be a crazy, but you know who else is a crazy? My son is, and Max is too, and all the monsters on Monster Island. Let's rumpus! ( )
1 vote MeditationesMartini | Apr 30, 2015 |
Summary: The story follows Max as he goes on an adventure to a land with wild creatures and becomes their king. We likes wreaking havoc, dancing around, and is soon chosen as their king. However, Max realizes that being king is not all it's made out to be and chooses to return home much to the wild thing's dismay.

Personal connection: This book is so much fun to read, and is such a classic. The illustrations and simple words keep the readers entertained. I cannot bring myself to watch the movie because I enjoy the book so much.

Class use: Analyze words that keep coming up in the book and work on vocabulary. ( )
  allisonpollack | Apr 30, 2015 |
I absolutely adore this book. It teaches a great lesson, how to use your imagination! We all forget how to use it sometimes and this book is a great reminder at just how important imagination is. ( )
  RachelBowers | Apr 30, 2015 |
This is a great book to encourage imagination in your students. It is a fun book.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another, his mother called him wild thing. And so he said, "I'll eat you UP!" And so he was sent to bed without eating anything.
...Max said, "BE STILL!" and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once and they were frightened and called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all wild things.
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
This book uses the same ISBN as a Disney Counting book.

"Where the Wild Things Are" is about a boy named Max who is dressed in wolf suit. It is a story about Max and his imagination. After getting in trouble and sent to his room without dinner, Max falls asleep and dreams. He dreams about being the king of all the wild things, and even though the wild things are fond of him, it does not stop their desire to eat him. Max wants to go home, and when he wakes up from his imaginative dream he sees that his mother has, in fact, left him dinner. This story is a great tale to be read to children and will teach them the importance of self-acceptance and allowing their imagination to take off.

AR 3.4, Pts 0.5
הספר מספר את סיפורו של מקס, שערב אחד "עושה צרות ממין אחד וממין אחר" בחליפת הזאב שלו. כעונש, אימו שולחת אותו למיטתו מבלי לאכול ארוחת ערב. בחדרו, מקס מפליג בדמיון ל"ארץ יצורי הפרא", שם נתקל במפלצות גדולות ומפחידות, אולם מקס כובש אותם בעזרת מבט מפחיד אחד ובעקבות כך הוא מוכתר למלך המקום. למרות זאת, מקס מרגיש בודד ומתגעגע לביתו. הוא חוזר לחדרו, שם הוא מוצא את ארוחת הערב שלו מחכה לו "עדיין חמה.
Sent to bed hungry?
Let the wild rumpus begin!
Master of my world.

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060254920, Hardcover)

Where the Wild Things Are is one of those truly rare books that can be enjoyed equally by a child and a grown-up. If you disagree, then it's been too long since you've attended a wild rumpus. Max dons his wolf suit in pursuit of some mischief and gets sent to bed without supper. Fortuitously, a forest grows in his room, allowing his wild rampage to continue unimpaired. Sendak's color illustrations (perhaps his finest) are beautiful, and each turn of the page brings the discovery of a new wonder.

The wild things--with their mismatched parts and giant eyes--manage somehow to be scary-looking without ever really being scary; at times they're downright hilarious. Sendak's defiantly run-on sentences--one of his trademarks--lend the perfect touch of stream of consciousness to the tale, which floats between the land of dreams and a child's imagination.

This Sendak classic is more fun than you've ever had in a wolf suit, and it manages to reaffirm the notion that there's no place like home.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:23 -0400)

A naughty little boy, sent to bed without his supper, sails to the land of the wild things where he becomes their king.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,928,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible