Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Where the Wild Things Are (1963)

by Maurice Sendak

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (bethielouwho)
    There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both deal with fantasy and imagination and both are from the genius of Sendack
    Miranda's umbrella by Val Biro (bookel)
    Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm (Hibou8)
    The Wild Things by Dave Eggers (sweetandsyko)
    sweetandsyko: where the wild things are is such a good childrens picture book. I recommend the wild things for adults to read! certain copies even have furry covers like the monsters from the story!
    Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody by Maurice Send-up (bookel)
    Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed (wosret)

English (1,251)  Spanish (4)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  English (Middle) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  All languages (1,261)
I appreciate the message the author promotes here, a message of unconditional love, a message that even if one misbehaves, there will be supper waiting on the table. Max does get sent to his room, but no matter how much he has misbehaved, his mother will always love him. Children's emotions and tantrums should be taken more seriously and not always simply dismissed. Max's mother thought he was a "wild thing" but his emotions and actions are described as an integral part of his being. His feelings lead to Max's adventures in the realm of the Wild Things. Once he feels like he's fully expressed himself, he leaves the Wild Things and is happy to return home to his room to his supper and mother's love. ( )
  ekorominas | Mar 23, 2019 |
This book is about a little boy who has a dream about where wild beasts live. He has freedom to play and run and roam free and wild. Kids love the thought of having their own world and having control over their own destiny. Math can sometimes feel inhibitating. I would use this book in a math class to help the students who struggle in math find hope and find freedom in math. ( )
  Elizabeth-Alaimo | Mar 17, 2019 |
I enjoyed the book “Where The Wild Things Are” for a lot of reasons. First, this book was one of my all-time favorites. The book was fun to read and I imagined things as well. This was a book that was great to read to children and feed their imaginations like it did mine. The book is about a boy who feels misunderstood at home. Growing up, in the midst of trying to find your own identity, it can feel as if you are misunderstood. This book relates to so many kids in a way that they can create their own identity and be whoever they want to be. Overall, I believe that this book does a great job of creating growth for children and help them create their own identity. ( )
  kisabe1 | Mar 11, 2019 |
Woah, I've read this book about eight or nine times now and my light bulb finally went off. I typed a review for it, read again, typed some more and deleted everything I originally though was happening in this book. So now an explanation of the hidden messages I found. So Max does this mischievous thing that gets him punished and sent to his room. But, the real story unfolds as he encounters a self battle of being mischievous or good. Max falls asleep and is faced with monsters that encourage hie to continue with his path of mischief. But deep down, his heart is telling him this is not who he is, even though he's been shunned from dinner and now has all these friends and worshipers. He realizes his earlier actions were out of characters and he busted wanted to be loved by his mom and do good by her. By the time he wakes up and he is born again into this not so mischievous child but one that is appreciative and kind, as he found his still hot dinner. What a lovely story of the everyday battles that we as humans face with ourselves. Absolutely loved it! ( )
  RavenM12 | Feb 28, 2019 |
This book is about so many things. It's about learning how to use your own emotions, about how being happy doesn't mean to always get what you want, about how to cope with loneliness, about love with no limits... and so much more. I'm glad to have read this one, I loved it so, and I want to eat it up. ( )
  LeoOrozco | Feb 26, 2019 |
The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another, his mother called him wild thing. And so he said, "I'll eat you UP!" And so he was sent to bed without eating anything.
...Max said, "BE STILL!" and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once and they were frightened and called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all wild things.
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
This book uses the same ISBN as a Disney Counting book.

Plot Summary: Max, a bit of a troublemaker, is sent to bed by his mother without any dinner. Dressed in his wolf suite, Max falls asleep in his room where it then transforms into a forest where "wild things" live. This is where Max's adventure begins.

Extensions: positive/negative reinforcement, universal social problems, creativity
Sent to bed hungry?
Let the wild rumpus begin!
Master of my world.

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060254920, Hardcover)

Where the Wild Things Are is one of those truly rare books that can be enjoyed equally by a child and a grown-up. If you disagree, then it's been too long since you've attended a wild rumpus. Max dons his wolf suit in pursuit of some mischief and gets sent to bed without supper. Fortuitously, a forest grows in his room, allowing his wild rampage to continue unimpaired. Sendak's color illustrations (perhaps his finest) are beautiful, and each turn of the page brings the discovery of a new wonder.

The wild things--with their mismatched parts and giant eyes--manage somehow to be scary-looking without ever really being scary; at times they're downright hilarious. Sendak's defiantly run-on sentences--one of his trademarks--lend the perfect touch of stream of consciousness to the tale, which floats between the land of dreams and a child's imagination.

This Sendak classic is more fun than you've ever had in a wolf suit, and it manages to reaffirm the notion that there's no place like home.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:23 -0400)

A naughty little boy, sent to bed without his supper, sails to the land of the wild things where he becomes their king.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,525,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible