Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Where the Wild Things Are (1963)

by Maurice Sendak

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (bethielouwho)
    There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both deal with fantasy and imagination and both are from the genius of Sendack
    Miranda's umbrella by Val Biro (bookel)
    Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm (Hibou8)
    The Wild Things by Dave Eggers (sweetandsyko)
    sweetandsyko: where the wild things are is such a good childrens picture book. I recommend the wild things for adults to read! certain copies even have furry covers like the monsters from the story!
    Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody by Maurice Send-up (bookel)
    Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed (wosret)

Where the Wild Things Are is one of my favorite children’s book ever. The imagination used in it can make even the oldest soul feel like a child again. There are numerous things that make this book a great read at any age.
One of the most interesting things about the book is the artwork. The way that the illustrations are arranged is that as Max, the main character’s, imagination grows so does the illustrations. The first page shows Max inside his room, which is only a small box on the right side of the page. As he goes deeper into the land of the Wild Things the illustrations get increasingly larger, even crossing over the gutter and going onto the left side of the page. In the middle of the book the illustration takes up both the left and right side of the page with absolutely no text. After that page the illustration get increasingly smaller, as Max begins to go back to reality. I truly believe that this book would be nothing without the pictures in it. They enhance the story so much. There is one color pallet that is used throughout the entire book. This keeps the story together and cohesive. The illustrations are so powerful and help to tell the story so much that like I said before there is one set of pages where there are only pictures. Without the illustrations this book would not be everything that it is today.
Another thing I enjoy about this book is that the sentences stretch throughout multiple pages. This helps to pull the reader deeper into the story and keep them entertained as they go through the pages. This is a creative technique, which shows the reader that the author truly took the time to strategically set up this book with his audience in mind.
The main message of the story is to let yourself stretch your mind and use your imagination. There are incredible things that can happen when you open your mind and let yourself dream. You can create worlds and travel anywhere that you want to go; you just have to let yourself. ( )
  Khammersla | Mar 31, 2015 |
I loved the book, "Where the Wild Things Are," by Maurice Sendak. Firstly, I loved the illustrations of the book because they were well thought out. For example, the box that the picture is drawn inside of gets bigger as the pages go on, which is also as Max's imagination grows. I also like how there are pages with just illustrations and no words because it allows the reader to interpret their own meaning since the author is not dictating any scenario. Secondly, I liked the sentence structures in the story. For instance, many of the sentences were run-on sentences. This approach to the writing made the story feel like it was over a very long period of time considering the sentences took up multiple pages. I liked the feeling of time progressing because it made the story different from others. I also liked the big idea of the story. The big idea of the story is to have an imagination. Without an imagination, this book would not have been published and Max wouldn't have had the fun he did. ( )
  NicoleGinex | Mar 30, 2015 |
I really liked this book. I liked this book for two reasons. First, I enjoyed looking at the illustrations. The illustrations were in soft, cool colors instead of bright colors because it was representing a dream. Another reason I liked the illustrations was because of the texture. The illustrations were cross-hatched which made them more appealing and interesting to look at. I also liked the foreshadowing in the illustrations. There was a tent and vines in the characters room with something hanging off of it. There was also a picture of a wild thing in the hallway where a family portrait may have hung. The last reason why I liked the illustrations, which stood out to me the most, was that they got bigger as the story went along. In the beginning of the book, the illustrations started off small in the middle of the page, but as the story went on and Max’s dream grew so did the illustrations. Second, I liked how the sentences weren’t all on one page. It made me want to keep flipping through the story to see what was going to happen next. One sentence in the story took five pages that had multiple illustrates to show everything that was happening in detail. I think the big idea of this book is to show its readers how creative and different dreams can be and that it is fun to have dreams and brings out your imagination. ( )
  LaurenVormack | Mar 30, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is an amazing book. One of the main reasons why I enjoyed this book was because of how it was written. For example, when the book begins, the boxes on the pages, in which the illustrations are drawn inside, are drawn small. As the book goes on, and Max’s imagination continues to grow, the illustrations grow bigger too and the pages become more filled. I also thought this was an amazing book because the pictures in the beginning foreshadow the later parts of the story. For example, on the page where Max runs down the stairs, there’s a picture hanging on the wall of a monster, which shows up in the book later on. Also, I liked this book because it is different from others due to the sentences “run-on” for more than one page. One complete thought would be written across two pages. The big idea of this book was imagination and how children can shape their imagination to be anything they want. ( )
  KellieMcFadzen | Mar 29, 2015 |
After reading this book again as an adult, I have grown to love it even more! One of the most interesting aspects of Where the Wild Things Are is the fact that the illustrations help to develop the story. For example, the illustrations in the beginning of the story help to foreshadow what is to come. A tent and drawings of “wild things” can be seen in Max's room and then eventually come to life in the middle of the story. In addition, the illustrations start off small with a large white border, and grow to fill the whole page with no white space. The illustrations then shrink back down and the white border becomes thick again. This progression of the size of the illustrations follows Max's imagination as it grows and then comes back to reality. The way that the words are written on the pages also help to develop and move the story along in an exciting way. For example, one sentence may spread over several pages. This causes the reader to turn the pages quickly and keep the story moving to build excitement.

The big idea of this story has to do with innocent childhood and imagination. ( )
  CarrieHardesty | Mar 29, 2015 |
This is a great book to encourage imagination in your students. It is a fun book.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another, his mother called him wild thing. And so he said, "I'll eat you UP!" And so he was sent to bed without eating anything.
...Max said, "BE STILL!" and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once and they were frightened and called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all wild things.
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
This book uses the same ISBN as a Disney Counting book.

"Where the Wild Things Are" is about a boy named Max who is dressed in wolf suit. It is a story about Max and his imagination. After getting in trouble and sent to his room without dinner, Max falls asleep and dreams. He dreams about being the king of all the wild things, and even though the wild things are fond of him, it does not stop their desire to eat him. Max wants to go home, and when he wakes up from his imaginative dream he sees that his mother has, in fact, left him dinner. This story is a great tale to be read to children and will teach them the importance of self-acceptance and allowing their imagination to take off.

AR 3.4, Pts 0.5
הספר מספר את סיפורו של מקס, שערב אחד "עושה צרות ממין אחד וממין אחר" בחליפת הזאב שלו. כעונש, אימו שולחת אותו למיטתו מבלי לאכול ארוחת ערב. בחדרו, מקס מפליג בדמיון ל"ארץ יצורי הפרא", שם נתקל במפלצות גדולות ומפחידות, אולם מקס כובש אותם בעזרת מבט מפחיד אחד ובעקבות כך הוא מוכתר למלך המקום. למרות זאת, מקס מרגיש בודד ומתגעגע לביתו. הוא חוזר לחדרו, שם הוא מוצא את ארוחת הערב שלו מחכה לו "עדיין חמה.
Sent to bed hungry?
Let the wild rumpus begin!
Master of my world.

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060254920, Hardcover)

Where the Wild Things Are is one of those truly rare books that can be enjoyed equally by a child and a grown-up. If you disagree, then it's been too long since you've attended a wild rumpus. Max dons his wolf suit in pursuit of some mischief and gets sent to bed without supper. Fortuitously, a forest grows in his room, allowing his wild rampage to continue unimpaired. Sendak's color illustrations (perhaps his finest) are beautiful, and each turn of the page brings the discovery of a new wonder.

The wild things--with their mismatched parts and giant eyes--manage somehow to be scary-looking without ever really being scary; at times they're downright hilarious. Sendak's defiantly run-on sentences--one of his trademarks--lend the perfect touch of stream of consciousness to the tale, which floats between the land of dreams and a child's imagination.

This Sendak classic is more fun than you've ever had in a wolf suit, and it manages to reaffirm the notion that there's no place like home.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:35 -0400)

A naughty little boy, sent to bed without his supper, sails to the land of the wild things where he becomes their king.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,274,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible