Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Where the Wild Things Are (1963)

by Maurice Sendak

Recently added byrarewren, BethanyKisner, BrookeMattingly, private library, Marcyt75, tom_cook, mihmetic, NineLarks
    The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (bethielouwho)
    There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both deal with fantasy and imagination and both are from the genius of Sendack
    Miranda's umbrella by Val Biro (bookel)
    Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm (Hibou8)
    The Wild Things by Dave Eggers (sweetandsyko)
    sweetandsyko: where the wild things are is such a good childrens picture book. I recommend the wild things for adults to read! certain copies even have furry covers like the monsters from the story!
    Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody by Maurice Send-up (bookel)
    Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed (wosret)

The story, Where the Wild Things Are, is a terrific story with a misbehaving boy and monsters. This is a great combination to interest and entertain readers young and old. Max, a young boy, who threatens to eat up his mother after she scolds him, goes to bed without any supper. While he is in his room strange things begin to happen and trees begin to grow and a boat comes and Max sails to a different land full of monsters. The best part is Max is the king of the monsters. The reasons I like this story is because of the language, illustrations, and the writing.
The language in this story is so energizing!! When Max sails to the island and sees the monsters for the first time, “they roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth and rolled their terrible teeth and showed their terrible claws.” What a picture this makes in your head as you are listening to the story. Max yells, “Be Still!” and all the monsters just stop and listen to him. Every child’s dream to be the king of something and monsters are pretty cool. Then the “Wild Rumpus” begins and Max and the monsters are doing all kinds of crazy things. Of course, Max misses home where someone loves him best of all so he decides he must leave the monsters and sail home. And the last line of the story is that his supper “was still hot.” The vocabulary and repetitive words make this a classic story for children.
The next reason I like the story is the illustrations. The best thing was that the monsters were ferocious looking in the illustration but not enough to scare a young reader. The drawings of the “wild rumpus” had Max and all the monsters smiling like they were really enjoying themselves and making every dream come true! Max was typical and the illustrations of the mischief he did were things all children could relate to doing and getting in trouble for. The best illustration is the last one where max is in his room with a big smile and a hot dinner.
Finally. I have to say that the writing done by Maurice Sendak was perfect to relate to young children. The repeating of many phrases and the pacing of story will keep the interest of the reader. The story actually takes place over a very short time but by saying that Max “sailed off through day and night, in and out of weeks and almost over a year to where the wild things are” makes the time frame seem much longer. The ending where Mr. Sendak says his dinner is still hot goes over the head of many readers that he never really left and it was a dream.
This is a great story that includes mischief and fun with most young readers favorite thing, monsters. But most importantly the message is that there is no place like home. ( )
  AlexWyatt | Sep 14, 2014 |
In my opinion, I think “Where the Wild Things Are” is an astounding book for children. This book really captivates the mind of young children with its specific illustrations. I remember being a kid and my mom reading me this book. It was my favorite book primarily because I wanted to look at “the wild things.” Their sharp teeth, big horns, and dark fur intrigued me to want to learn more about them, giving me a sense of adventure. The language in this book is also interesting to young children. Specifically, using strong vocabulary words such as, “mischief” and “rumpus.” The author, Maurice Sendak, also repeatedly includes rich vocabulary such as “…they roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws." The use of language here vividly describes the “wild things” for the reader to picture. The big idea of this story is to encourage children to use their imagination while providing children with a good laugh. ( )
  Ebutzn1 | Sep 11, 2014 |
Summary:
In this book a little boy named Max, with a wild imagination, makes a big mess. His mother sends him to his room without super, and then something amazing happens. A forest grows in his bedroom, and takes him to the Wild Things. Max becomes the king of the Wild Things and he declares a rumpus. But at the end of the story, Max wants to go home even though the Wild Things want him to stay. When Max arrives back in his room, he finds supper waiting for him.

Personal Reaction:
I really enjoy this book, because it reminds me of my son who's imagination runs wild. You can explore the pages over and over, and because there isn't a lot of text, you can imagine different things that might be going on in the story.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. For literacy and creative writing, have the class look at the cover of the book, and write a story about what they think the book is about.
2. For music, have the class divide into groups and compose a song that would go along with the wild rumpus.
  CiaraLohman | Sep 10, 2014 |
Max was getting into trouble at home in his wolf suit. He got sent to his room without dinner because he was misbehaving. His imagination grew and his room became a forest, then an ocean, and then a boat he sailed to to where the wild things were. There were monsters and Max tamed them and they made him king of all the wild things. Max was lonely and wanted to go home. He then became hungry and wanted to go home and so he gave up being king. The wild things loved him and didn't want him to go, but he still left. He had dinner waiting for him in his room when he got home.
Great book for storytelling and getting students to interact by acting like the wild thngs. ( )
  hatease | Sep 9, 2014 |
Summary:
Max made mischief of one kind and another until his mother sent him to bed without eating anything. That night, a forest grew in Max's room and he sailed off to where the wild things are. He became their king and he decided to come back home. When he returned, his food was waiting for him.

Personal Reaction:
This story is a personal favorite because I used to imagine "wild things" in my room all the time. Unlike Max, I was afraid of the "wild things". This story helped me take more of a liking to the "wild things".

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. In the classroom, we could use our imagination to draw our own forest and wild things.
2. We could also cut out different shapes to make Max and a wild thing. ( )
  angela.knox | Sep 7, 2014 |
This is a great book to encourage imagination in your students. It is a fun book.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another, his mother called him wild thing. And so he said, "I'll eat you UP!" And so he was sent to bed without eating anything.
...Max said, "BE STILL!" and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once and they were frightened and called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all wild things.
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
This book uses the same ISBN as a Disney Counting book.

"Where the Wild Things Are" is about a boy named Max who is dressed in wolf suit. It is a story about Max and his imagination. After getting in trouble and sent to his room without dinner, Max falls asleep and dreams. He dreams about being the king of all the wild things, and even though the wild things are fond of him, it does not stop their desire to eat him. Max wants to go home, and when he wakes up from his imaginative dream he sees that his mother has, in fact, left him dinner. This story is a great tale to be read to children and will teach them the importance of self-acceptance and allowing their imagination to take off.

AR 3.4, Pts 0.5
הספר מספר את סיפורו של מקס, שערב אחד "עושה צרות ממין אחד וממין אחר" בחליפת הזאב שלו. כעונש, אימו שולחת אותו למיטתו מבלי לאכול ארוחת ערב. בחדרו, מקס מפליג בדמיון ל"ארץ יצורי הפרא", שם נתקל במפלצות גדולות ומפחידות, אולם מקס כובש אותם בעזרת מבט מפחיד אחד ובעקבות כך הוא מוכתר למלך המקום. למרות זאת, מקס מרגיש בודד ומתגעגע לביתו. הוא חוזר לחדרו, שם הוא מוצא את ארוחת הערב שלו מחכה לו "עדיין חמה.
Sent to bed hungry?
Let the wild rumpus begin!
Master of my world.

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060254920, Hardcover)

Where the Wild Things Are is one of those truly rare books that can be enjoyed equally by a child and a grown-up. If you disagree, then it's been too long since you've attended a wild rumpus. Max dons his wolf suit in pursuit of some mischief and gets sent to bed without supper. Fortuitously, a forest grows in his room, allowing his wild rampage to continue unimpaired. Sendak's color illustrations (perhaps his finest) are beautiful, and each turn of the page brings the discovery of a new wonder.

The wild things--with their mismatched parts and giant eyes--manage somehow to be scary-looking without ever really being scary; at times they're downright hilarious. Sendak's defiantly run-on sentences--one of his trademarks--lend the perfect touch of stream of consciousness to the tale, which floats between the land of dreams and a child's imagination.

This Sendak classic is more fun than you've ever had in a wolf suit, and it manages to reaffirm the notion that there's no place like home.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:35 -0400)

A naughty little boy, sent to bed without his supper, sails to the land of the wild things where he becomes their king.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,672,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible