Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Where the Wild Things Are (1963)

by Maurice Sendak

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (bethielouwho)
    There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both deal with fantasy and imagination and both are from the genius of Sendack
    Miranda's umbrella by Val Biro (bookel)
    Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm (Hibou8)
    The Wild Things by Dave Eggers (sweetandsyko)
    sweetandsyko: where the wild things are is such a good childrens picture book. I recommend the wild things for adults to read! certain copies even have furry covers like the monsters from the story!
    Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody by Maurice Send-up (bookel)
    Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed (wosret)

Summary
This is a story about a boy named Max. Max was rambunctious boy who got into trouble one night for being too wild to his mother. She sent him to his room without dinner. Max imagined his room turned into a magical forest with wild things and Max was the king of the wild things. He ruled over them and had fun being wild. Max started to miss home and decided to go back to his room, although the wild things begged him to stay. When Max returned to his room all was back to normal and his dinner was waiting for him.

Personal Reaction
I think this is such a cute story about how crazy a child’s imagination can get. I love that it takes the readers into a fantasy world without telling the reader it is all imagination. The book allows children to also see the “monsters” in the story are not scary and that even though they are big, Max still rules over them. Allowing the reader into a magical world is a great way to spark creativity.

Classroom Extension
1. I would use this book in an early childhood classroom and after reading it, instruct students to create their own magical land using crayons and markers. I would encourage students to be as creative as possible.
2. Another activity that could be used for this book is have the students create a postcard from the imaginary world they have just created. This could also be a lesson on addressing and writing a letter.
  km057441 | Oct 17, 2014 |
Where the Wild Things Are is such a great book. I remember reading it when I was a child. I have always enjoyed the characters. I think a lot of kids really enjoy this book because of the imagination that Max has. When you get older, I think you lose your imagination and this book makes it okay to have an imagination. Max is so believable because I think every child has been sent to their room after misbehaving so that makes this story very realistic. I also really enjoy the illustrations. They look like someone actually drew them right on the page. I think the main idea in this story is don't take things for granted. Max leaves his home because he is mad at his mother and then at the end of the story, he realizes he needs to go back if he wants to be feed. ( )
  ckenne17 | Oct 15, 2014 |
I loved this book! I remember enjoying it when I was a child, but I don't think I really understood all of the reasons why until rereading it recently.

One of the best aspects of this book was the illustrations. Many of the illustrations foreshadow the events to come; like the sheet on the first page foreshadowing his tent, the vines in the background, and the drawing of the wild thing on the wall of the second page. The illustrations also grow in size as the story progresses, along with Max's imagination, until they eventually take up all of both pages before slowly receding as Max leaves the Island Where the Wild Things Are to return home for supper.

I also really enjoyed the character of Max, and thought he was very believable. Max was punished for acting out and sent to his room, as I was many times as a child, and I'm sure many others were. However, Max found a way to make the best out of his situation through using his imagination, which again, is something I think all of us did as children.

The big idea of this book is that imagination can be a great source of entertainment, and you can never have it taken away from you. ( )
  AdamLarson | Oct 14, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this book growing up and I still love it now! The writing in this story followed a pattern in some sections "they roared their terrible roars, gnashed their terrible teeth, and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws" this repetitive language gives emphasis in a silly way. The format of this story is mainly run-on sentences which build suspense and make the reader continue to turn the pages. My favorite part about this story was the illustrations. The illustrations grow on the page as the boy's imagination grows. They start small on one page, then grow to a full page, merge over the gutter, until there is three pages of complete illustration without text. The illustrations in this story are so strong that there is no need for text to describe what is happening in the pictures. The main idea of this story is to show the power of children's imaginations. ( )
  carolinetownsend | Oct 13, 2014 |
The main idea of this book is the strong idea of imagination and all the places it can take you if you allow it. I loved this book especially because I feel the illustrations really draw you into the adventure as well as the text. An example of this would be the illustrations at the beginning of the story are small and the colors dull, but as you continue reading the illustrations become bigger and the colors brighter as the imagination is at height. I also liked the illustrations because of how much of the story they told where the words did not. The author filled up two whole pages with illustrations in the middle of the story allowing the reader to use the pictures to fill in what is going on. The illustrator does an amazing job painting us the image of the wild rumpus going on! ( )
  JamieLewis | Oct 13, 2014 |
This is a great book to encourage imagination in your students. It is a fun book.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another, his mother called him wild thing. And so he said, "I'll eat you UP!" And so he was sent to bed without eating anything.
...Max said, "BE STILL!" and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once and they were frightened and called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all wild things.
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
This book uses the same ISBN as a Disney Counting book.

"Where the Wild Things Are" is about a boy named Max who is dressed in wolf suit. It is a story about Max and his imagination. After getting in trouble and sent to his room without dinner, Max falls asleep and dreams. He dreams about being the king of all the wild things, and even though the wild things are fond of him, it does not stop their desire to eat him. Max wants to go home, and when he wakes up from his imaginative dream he sees that his mother has, in fact, left him dinner. This story is a great tale to be read to children and will teach them the importance of self-acceptance and allowing their imagination to take off.

AR 3.4, Pts 0.5
הספר מספר את סיפורו של מקס, שערב אחד "עושה צרות ממין אחד וממין אחר" בחליפת הזאב שלו. כעונש, אימו שולחת אותו למיטתו מבלי לאכול ארוחת ערב. בחדרו, מקס מפליג בדמיון ל"ארץ יצורי הפרא", שם נתקל במפלצות גדולות ומפחידות, אולם מקס כובש אותם בעזרת מבט מפחיד אחד ובעקבות כך הוא מוכתר למלך המקום. למרות זאת, מקס מרגיש בודד ומתגעגע לביתו. הוא חוזר לחדרו, שם הוא מוצא את ארוחת הערב שלו מחכה לו "עדיין חמה.
Sent to bed hungry?
Let the wild rumpus begin!
Master of my world.

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060254920, Hardcover)

Where the Wild Things Are is one of those truly rare books that can be enjoyed equally by a child and a grown-up. If you disagree, then it's been too long since you've attended a wild rumpus. Max dons his wolf suit in pursuit of some mischief and gets sent to bed without supper. Fortuitously, a forest grows in his room, allowing his wild rampage to continue unimpaired. Sendak's color illustrations (perhaps his finest) are beautiful, and each turn of the page brings the discovery of a new wonder.

The wild things--with their mismatched parts and giant eyes--manage somehow to be scary-looking without ever really being scary; at times they're downright hilarious. Sendak's defiantly run-on sentences--one of his trademarks--lend the perfect touch of stream of consciousness to the tale, which floats between the land of dreams and a child's imagination.

This Sendak classic is more fun than you've ever had in a wolf suit, and it manages to reaffirm the notion that there's no place like home.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:35 -0400)

A naughty little boy, sent to bed without his supper, sails to the land of the wild things where he becomes their king.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,388,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible