Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Where the Wild Things Are (1963)

by Maurice Sendak

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (bethielouwho)
    There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both deal with fantasy and imagination and both are from the genius of Sendack
    Miranda's umbrella by Val Biro (bookel)
    Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm (Hibou8)
    The Wild Things by Dave Eggers (sweetandsyko)
    sweetandsyko: where the wild things are is such a good childrens picture book. I recommend the wild things for adults to read! certain copies even have furry covers like the monsters from the story!
    Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody by Maurice Send-up (bookel)
    Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed (wosret)

In my opinion, I believe “Where the Wild Things are” by Maurice Sendalk is a fantastic book. The plot is enthralling, and draws the reader in from the start. The book would be best for students in K-2 grade range. The story examines the true and imaginary consequences the main characters mischief. “His mother called him ‘WILD THING’ and Max said ‘I’LL EAT YOU UP’ so he was sent to bed without eating anything.” Once sent to his room, Max imagines traveling away to an imaginary far off land. Once he arrives the best features of the book shine through. I think the illustrations and characters are the best features of the book. The transformation of Max’s bedroom is especially enchanting. The detailed monsters who “roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth” keep the reader engaged throughout the story. Max as the main character is believable, and exhibits typical behavior that most five year olds can relate to. Another great aspect of the book are the three wordless pages in the middle of the book. This allows the reader to imagine their own individual story. I noticed some repetition of vocabulary in the story with the terrible roars eyes and teeth reappearing throughout the story. As a child I remember memorizing the parts as my parents read the story to me. Overall Where the Wild things is a fantastic book to use in the classroom. The main idea is just because your parents punish you doesn't mean they do not love you. ( )
  dbaker16 | Sep 24, 2014 |
I decided to read this after hearing of the author's death and seeing this book's popularity. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it. The story seemed pretty pointless to me. There's no moral and the boy learns nothing. It's a snapshot of a boy's imagination. However, I did enjoy the illustrations of the monsters. Having been published in 1963 perhaps this book is a product of its time, lovingly remembered by those who were read this as children and who wish to pass it on to their own offspring. Or maybe it just wasn't for me. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
The students would enjoy me reading this book because most kids probably imagine playing like Max did. They probably would enjoy the monsters are drawn in the book and the colors of it. ( )
  thnguyen | Sep 22, 2014 |
"Where the wild things are" is about max dressed in his wolf suit. He was sent to his room for making mischief without eating. His room grows a forest And he leaves on a private boat. He then comes to a place where wild things are and becomes king. He does all types of wild things and decides he's ready to go home because he is lonely and hungry. He then gets in his private boat and heads to his room where there is a warm plate waiting for him. My reaction to this book was it was very interesting and a very good book. I enjoyed reading this story. Ithis story reminded me of when I was young and would get sent to my room and my parents would punish me by taking something away. Like Max mom sent him to his room without eating. I think this book would be good for the classroom because I'm sure all children have been sent to their room. This could be used in the classroom by reading it to them to show them what happens with bad behavior and the consequences. I could also use it for art and let the students use their imagination like Max did.
  christianf | Sep 20, 2014 |
Summary: This book won the Caldecott medal for being the most distinguished picture book of the year. Max dressed as a wolf one night and caused terror in his house and his mom called him a "wild thing" and he replied in a nasty tone that "I'll eat you up!", and his mother didn't like that. He was sent to his bedroom without dinner. Then a jungle started to build in his room until his ceiling was covered in vines and his walls became the world around him. A boat and ocean formed and he climbed on the private boat and sailed over a year to where the wild things are. He scared the beasts and they made him king. He declared that it was time for the rumpus to start and they all have a little party. Max then smelled good food and decided to sail back home where when he arrived after sailing back a whole year he found his dinner waiting for him and it was even still hot.

Personal Reaction: I love this book and especially did when I was young. It to me shows that no matter how mad a parent can be at a child they will always love them and forgive them. Plus a child's imagination can be amazing if allowed to go wild.

Classroom Extension Ideas: 1. Have my students choose what wild thing they would want to be such as a costume.
2. Then have them draw what they imagine the world they would travel to.
  LynleeRae | Sep 17, 2014 |
This is a great book to encourage imagination in your students. It is a fun book.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another, his mother called him wild thing. And so he said, "I'll eat you UP!" And so he was sent to bed without eating anything.
...Max said, "BE STILL!" and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once and they were frightened and called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all wild things.
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
This book uses the same ISBN as a Disney Counting book.

"Where the Wild Things Are" is about a boy named Max who is dressed in wolf suit. It is a story about Max and his imagination. After getting in trouble and sent to his room without dinner, Max falls asleep and dreams. He dreams about being the king of all the wild things, and even though the wild things are fond of him, it does not stop their desire to eat him. Max wants to go home, and when he wakes up from his imaginative dream he sees that his mother has, in fact, left him dinner. This story is a great tale to be read to children and will teach them the importance of self-acceptance and allowing their imagination to take off.

AR 3.4, Pts 0.5
הספר מספר את סיפורו של מקס, שערב אחד "עושה צרות ממין אחד וממין אחר" בחליפת הזאב שלו. כעונש, אימו שולחת אותו למיטתו מבלי לאכול ארוחת ערב. בחדרו, מקס מפליג בדמיון ל"ארץ יצורי הפרא", שם נתקל במפלצות גדולות ומפחידות, אולם מקס כובש אותם בעזרת מבט מפחיד אחד ובעקבות כך הוא מוכתר למלך המקום. למרות זאת, מקס מרגיש בודד ומתגעגע לביתו. הוא חוזר לחדרו, שם הוא מוצא את ארוחת הערב שלו מחכה לו "עדיין חמה.
Sent to bed hungry?
Let the wild rumpus begin!
Master of my world.

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060254920, Hardcover)

Where the Wild Things Are is one of those truly rare books that can be enjoyed equally by a child and a grown-up. If you disagree, then it's been too long since you've attended a wild rumpus. Max dons his wolf suit in pursuit of some mischief and gets sent to bed without supper. Fortuitously, a forest grows in his room, allowing his wild rampage to continue unimpaired. Sendak's color illustrations (perhaps his finest) are beautiful, and each turn of the page brings the discovery of a new wonder.

The wild things--with their mismatched parts and giant eyes--manage somehow to be scary-looking without ever really being scary; at times they're downright hilarious. Sendak's defiantly run-on sentences--one of his trademarks--lend the perfect touch of stream of consciousness to the tale, which floats between the land of dreams and a child's imagination.

This Sendak classic is more fun than you've ever had in a wolf suit, and it manages to reaffirm the notion that there's no place like home.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:35 -0400)

A naughty little boy, sent to bed without his supper, sails to the land of the wild things where he becomes their king.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,975,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible