Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Where the Wild Things Are (1963)

by Maurice Sendak

The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by A. Wolf by Jon Scieszka (bethielouwho)
    There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both deal with fantasy and imagination and both are from the genius of Sendack
    Miranda's umbrella by Val Biro (bookel)
    Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm (Hibou8)
    The Wild Things by Dave Eggers (sweetandsyko)
    sweetandsyko: where the wild things are is such a good childrens picture book. I recommend the wild things for adults to read! certain copies even have furry covers like the monsters from the story!
    Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody by Maurice Send-up (bookel)
    Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed (wosret)

Where the Wild Things Are is a book about a young boy who is sent to his room without supper for misbehaving. His room transforms into a magical forest and he goes on an adventure to the island of the wild things, where he becomes their king. This book explores what it means to experience love and family, which is one of things that the little boy misses while he is on the island. He continues his adventure back home, where he finds that the best love of all is from his family and the comfort of his home. This would be a great book for young little boys who are adventurous and maybe a bit mischievous. It would be great to relate this to family and love. ( )
  rebeccafrady | Apr 16, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading this book for many reasons. First, the illustrations in the book were so well drawn and they complimented the story very nicely. For example, on the page that Max becomes king of the wild things, the author drew each wild thing with great detail so that they are unique and the author drew Max in a smug face which suits the mood of the story well. Second, the text features of this book are very cool. For example, as Max's imagination grows, the pictures in the book get larger and larger until they fill up the whole page. I believe the overall message of the book is family because no matter what happens, family will always love you. ( )
  Kelsey_Barrell | Apr 16, 2015 |
I love this book for the captivating pictures and creative storyline. Max's journey to the land of the Wild Things is very imaginative and definitely held my attention, so I have no doubt it would do the same for children. The illustrations are very bright and rich and help convey the overall optimistic mood of the story. The illustrations of the wild things themselves are al very unique. It is very impressive to me that the Wild Things look very different from one another, however, the only true difference is their heads, as they all have "Wild Thing" bodies. I think there are two main ideas within the plot of the story. First, I believe a main idea is that there is no place like home, as Max realizes when he makes the decision to stop being King and return to his family. Despite how much fun he was having with the Wild Things, nothing could replace his home. I think the other main idea is to stand up to you fears, as Max did when he, "tamed (the Wild Things) with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once." The Wild Things are monsters, a common fear amongst children, so if Max can stand up to them that encourages other children to stand up to their fears as well. ( )
  lhanso1 | Apr 16, 2015 |
For years I had this memorized. I still love it. I dread seeing the movie, but someday I will.

reread Jan 19, 2011 for the Children's Books group -

omg
I just re-read Wild Things after a decade off and it was just a magical as the hundred other times I read it with my kids.

I loved how the size of the illustration grew, taking over more and more of the page until the rumpus, then rapidly shrinking until time to sleep. This not only reinforces the symmetry of the story's timeline itself, with the family/bedroom/ voyage/ island/ voyage/ family/bedroom pattern, but it also reinforces the sense of how Max is thinking about himself in the context of the wider worlds.

I love how the rhythm flows when it's read aloud - note the creative use of breaks for breath, for example how there isn't a break for a long time until he gets to the island, and then there's another long sentence immediately.

I definitely appreciate that Max is just plain wild - not troubled, not provoked, just a healthy imaginative young child. I appreciate the warning about the movie - maybe I won't ever watch it after all, or if I do I'll think about it as a totally different story only inspired by this book.

I love how Max's imagination expresses the love he's shared with his family, that he feels secure enough to dream of a 'private' boat, and a voyage of 'over a year' - not to mention being 'king' of those huge beasts.

I love the economy. Very few words, and many of them repeated. Parents are not seen, only implied, but still we feel like we have a good sense of what they're like. (Which, again, the movie apparently spoils.)

I'm sorry, but I have to say that I feel sorry for people who don't love this. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Max was causing trouble, so he was sent to his room without any dinner. But then something magical began to happen. Tree by tree, Max's room turned into a forest, and he was soon in a private boat traveling to the place where the wild things lived. Even though the monsters and terrible teeth and claws, they though Max was even more scary. Max became the king of the wild things. He threw a huge party with lots of dancing, but then sent them all to bed without any dinner. Sitting alone, Max began to miss home and felt hungry. So he got back into his private boat and road the waves all the way home where a warm meal was waiting for him. (Fantasy)
  apoffenroth13 | Apr 14, 2015 |
This is a great book to encourage imagination in your students. It is a fun book.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another, his mother called him wild thing. And so he said, "I'll eat you UP!" And so he was sent to bed without eating anything.
...Max said, "BE STILL!" and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once and they were frightened and called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all wild things.
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
This book uses the same ISBN as a Disney Counting book.

"Where the Wild Things Are" is about a boy named Max who is dressed in wolf suit. It is a story about Max and his imagination. After getting in trouble and sent to his room without dinner, Max falls asleep and dreams. He dreams about being the king of all the wild things, and even though the wild things are fond of him, it does not stop their desire to eat him. Max wants to go home, and when he wakes up from his imaginative dream he sees that his mother has, in fact, left him dinner. This story is a great tale to be read to children and will teach them the importance of self-acceptance and allowing their imagination to take off.

AR 3.4, Pts 0.5
הספר מספר את סיפורו של מקס, שערב אחד "עושה צרות ממין אחד וממין אחר" בחליפת הזאב שלו. כעונש, אימו שולחת אותו למיטתו מבלי לאכול ארוחת ערב. בחדרו, מקס מפליג בדמיון ל"ארץ יצורי הפרא", שם נתקל במפלצות גדולות ומפחידות, אולם מקס כובש אותם בעזרת מבט מפחיד אחד ובעקבות כך הוא מוכתר למלך המקום. למרות זאת, מקס מרגיש בודד ומתגעגע לביתו. הוא חוזר לחדרו, שם הוא מוצא את ארוחת הערב שלו מחכה לו "עדיין חמה.
Sent to bed hungry?
Let the wild rumpus begin!
Master of my world.

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060254920, Hardcover)

Where the Wild Things Are is one of those truly rare books that can be enjoyed equally by a child and a grown-up. If you disagree, then it's been too long since you've attended a wild rumpus. Max dons his wolf suit in pursuit of some mischief and gets sent to bed without supper. Fortuitously, a forest grows in his room, allowing his wild rampage to continue unimpaired. Sendak's color illustrations (perhaps his finest) are beautiful, and each turn of the page brings the discovery of a new wonder.

The wild things--with their mismatched parts and giant eyes--manage somehow to be scary-looking without ever really being scary; at times they're downright hilarious. Sendak's defiantly run-on sentences--one of his trademarks--lend the perfect touch of stream of consciousness to the tale, which floats between the land of dreams and a child's imagination.

This Sendak classic is more fun than you've ever had in a wolf suit, and it manages to reaffirm the notion that there's no place like home.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:35 -0400)

A naughty little boy, sent to bed without his supper, sails to the land of the wild things where he becomes their king.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,563,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible