Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Where the Wild Things Are (1963)

by Maurice Sendak

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (bethielouwho)
    There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both deal with fantasy and imagination and both are from the genius of Sendack
    Miranda's umbrella by Val Biro (bookel)
    Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm (Hibou8)
    The Wild Things by Dave Eggers (sweetandsyko)
    sweetandsyko: where the wild things are is such a good childrens picture book. I recommend the wild things for adults to read! certain copies even have furry covers like the monsters from the story!
    Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody by Maurice Send-up (bookel)
    Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed (wosret)

This book is a great choice for a fantasy book for kids. This book focuses on a young boy named max. He gets into a argument with his mother and he is sent to his room for a timeout. While in his ruin sulking his rooms starts to change into a wilderness. At first max is very excited to be away from his mother. He meets creatures that call themselves the wild things. He tells them stories of how great he is and he intimidates. They decide to make him their king. He has a good time playing with them and building a friendship with them. He decides that he is not mad at his mom anymore and decides to return home. He returns home to his mother having dinner ready for him. This book in my opinion is really great for getting the kids imagination going and it is something that they can relate to. ( )
  loganbuttram330 | Jul 14, 2014 |
Summary:
This story is about a little boy named Max who got in trouble for causing mischief. Max got upset because he got sent to bed without his supper. While in his room, Max uses his imagination by turning his room into an island with a forest full of wild thing monsters. Max ends up being the king of the island controlling the way the wild things act. Max gets lonely after sending the wild things to bed. He then decides to go back home where someone loved him. Once he got home he found his supper in his room hat and ready to eat.

Personal Experience:
I can relate to this story because when I was a kid I used to always use my imagination and create magical places and characters. I would also create make-believe fairy tales. My children are always pretending to be certain characters and make-believe powers.

Classroom Extensions:
1. I could have the students make up their own make believe characters and story.
2. I could have the students give a discription of what they think a "wild thing" should look like or be. ( )
  shelby22 | Jul 11, 2014 |
Summary: The story begins with Max acting as if he were a wolf. This upsets his mom who sends him to his room without any dinner. Max's room morphs into a jungle, then an ocean and he sails away to a monstrous island. Max becomes King of all the Wild things, but returns home just in time for his dinner to be waiting in his room, still warm.
Personal Reaction: This book has always had my heart. It teaches children about the excitement your imagination can provide, and the amazing adventures one can go on by using it. I admire that Max was able to channel his feelings of frustration into a wild island where he controlled monsters, and once calming down was ready to come back home to the comfort of his own home where people love him.
Extension Ideas:
1. Pass out different pom poms, pipe cleaners, eye balls, feathers, etc. and ask the children to design their very own "Wild Thing."
2. Have the children use their imagination to create a land that they could visit when they were feeling angry, sad, frustrated etc that would help them get back to being happy again.
  copeland86 | Jul 10, 2014 |
Summary:
This book features Max, a monster with an imagination beyond compare. After getting into some trouble with his mother after wearing a wolf costume, he is sent to his room. Here, his imagination takes him from his average bedroom into a jungle and a boat that took him to a place where all the wild things are. After spending some time there, they wild things named him King! Like most little monsters, he started to miss home. Luckily for him, he makes it home in time dinner, which is still hot on the table.
Personal Reaction:
I loved this book! I remember reading it as a kid, and then also reading it again to my sisters. Its always exciting when little imaginations go on large adventures, as did Max. Although I never made my way to an island of wild things, I do recall finding my own retreats when I ventured into my bedroom.
Extension Ideas:
1. Have children write or draw what their island of wild things would look like. Include any animals (or monsters) that would also be sharing the island with them.
2. Design the perfect crown for the King of the Wild Things! Use as many colors or shapes as you need.
3. Draw the jungle or ocean that Max travels through on his wild adventure. Be sure to include Max or any other little monster you want! ( )
  alexis.smith | Jul 10, 2014 |
Summary: This wonderfully done picture book gives you insight to Max's world. Max is a mischievous child with adventures galore. He travels across the sea for weeks and years to be king of all wild things and somehow manages to make it back for supper.

Personal reaction: I liked that this book had just enough words to really absorb all of the illustrations. The 'wild things' were drawn with such detail that can only be appreciated by really focusing on the pictures. I also liked that Max's imagination took him to a place where he could escape and come back for dinner the same night. I could relate to him being King of all wild things because when I would play as a child, I liked to be in charge too.

Extension Ideas:
1. It would be fun to ask the children in my classroom to draw what their secret land would look like, to include any and all animals or creatures of their choice.
2. Max is King in this book. The Children could decorate pre-cut crowns to their hearts content and be king/queen of their own land.
3. I could ask the children to draw what type of dinner they would want waiting for them when they came back from their special land. ( )
1 vote Gizellecardiel | Jul 9, 2014 |
This is a great book to encourage imagination in your students. It is a fun book.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another, his mother called him wild thing. And so he said, "I'll eat you UP!" And so he was sent to bed without eating anything.
...Max said, "BE STILL!" and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once and they were frightened and called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all wild things.
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
This book uses the same ISBN as a Disney Counting book.

"Where the Wild Things Are" is about a boy named Max who is dressed in wolf suit. It is a story about Max and his imagination. After getting in trouble and sent to his room without dinner, Max falls asleep and dreams. He dreams about being the king of all the wild things, and even though the wild things are fond of him, it does not stop their desire to eat him. Max wants to go home, and when he wakes up from his imaginative dream he sees that his mother has, in fact, left him dinner. This story is a great tale to be read to children and will teach them the importance of self-acceptance and allowing their imagination to take off.

AR 3.4, Pts 0.5
הספר מספר את סיפורו של מקס, שערב אחד "עושה צרות ממין אחד וממין אחר" בחליפת הזאב שלו. כעונש, אימו שולחת אותו למיטתו מבלי לאכול ארוחת ערב. בחדרו, מקס מפליג בדמיון ל"ארץ יצורי הפרא", שם נתקל במפלצות גדולות ומפחידות, אולם מקס כובש אותם בעזרת מבט מפחיד אחד ובעקבות כך הוא מוכתר למלך המקום. למרות זאת, מקס מרגיש בודד ומתגעגע לביתו. הוא חוזר לחדרו, שם הוא מוצא את ארוחת הערב שלו מחכה לו "עדיין חמה.
Sent to bed hungry?
Let the wild rumpus begin!
Master of my world.

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060254920, Hardcover)

Where the Wild Things Are is one of those truly rare books that can be enjoyed equally by a child and a grown-up. If you disagree, then it's been too long since you've attended a wild rumpus. Max dons his wolf suit in pursuit of some mischief and gets sent to bed without supper. Fortuitously, a forest grows in his room, allowing his wild rampage to continue unimpaired. Sendak's color illustrations (perhaps his finest) are beautiful, and each turn of the page brings the discovery of a new wonder.

The wild things--with their mismatched parts and giant eyes--manage somehow to be scary-looking without ever really being scary; at times they're downright hilarious. Sendak's defiantly run-on sentences--one of his trademarks--lend the perfect touch of stream of consciousness to the tale, which floats between the land of dreams and a child's imagination.

This Sendak classic is more fun than you've ever had in a wolf suit, and it manages to reaffirm the notion that there's no place like home.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:35 -0400)

A naughty little boy, sent to bed without his supper, sails to the land of the wild things where he becomes their king.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,367,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible