When the Wolves Returned: Restoring…

When the Wolves Returned: Restoring Nature's Balance in Yellowstone (edition 2008)

by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent, Dan Hartman (Illustrator)

75None159,449 (4.44)1
Member:anitschelm
Title:When the Wolves Returned: Restoring Nature's Balance in Yellowstone
Authors:Dorothy Hinshaw Patent
Other authors:Dan Hartman (Illustrator)
Info:Walker Childrens (2008), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:Informational Book

When the Wolves Returned: Restoring Nature's Balance in Yellowstone by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent

This book has stunning pictures, that in and of itself might get it five stars, but then it presents its facts on why wolves are needed in Yellowstone line upon line, precept on precept. It spoon feeds the science behind the proof in easy to understand words and keeps one concept to a page. This is perfect for a first grader to read and understand, heck I would have appreciated it in Bio 101, especially as it gives you websites to more information at the back. ( )
  Jill.Haner | Mar 17, 2014 |
Shadow and this book are my favorite so far. ( )
  kylak | Feb 25, 2013 |
Informative non-fiction book with beautiful photos. Compelling story about the wolves of Yellowstone and lots of great information. This would be best for 1st grade through 4th, but may be difficult reading for the younger ones. Would be a nice read-aloud and a good introduction to non-fiction in the classroom.
  anacryan | Dec 7, 2011 |
I really enjoyed the way this book is presented. It looked at each issue in the Yellowstone ecology that was affected by the wolves removal, and then at the end connected all the ideas.
  hgold | May 5, 2011 |
I loved this book mostly because I love Yellowstone but I also think it is a great example of how we don't always know how our actions will impact our environment, and also just how little we know about how complex ecosystems work. Also just a great intro to the concept of ecosystems.
  pgreenley | Mar 11, 2011 |

Yellowstone National Park’s majestic geologic wonders and remarkable wildlife draw millions of visitors each year. But there was a time when these natural treasures were in great danger, all because after years of unrestricted hunting, one key piece of the puzzle had been eliminated—the wolf.

Now, more than a decade after scientists realized the wolves’ essential role and returned them to Yellowstone, the park’s natural balance is gradually being restored.  The informative dual-level text and spectacular full-color photographs show the wolves in the natural habitat that was almost lost without them.  Readers of all ages will be inspired by the delicate natural system that is Yellowstone.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:48 -0400)

When wolves were eliminated from Yellowstone National Park the natural system was out of balance. Shows the return of the wolves to the park and the natural balance being restored.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,463,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible