Codename: Wolverine by Christopher Golden

Codename: Wolverine

by Christopher Golden

1193101,247 (3.96)None

I love the psychological depth this book gives to the characters.
It keeps pretty close to canon, despite not being canon.
A very good read. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 8, 2012 |
James Howlett, aka Logan, also know as Wolverine is the focus in this spin-off novel of the X-Men series of books that began life in the mid 90s. Up until then the previous books in this series had all been focused on the X-Men as a team but being one of Marvel's best loved characters Wolverine was given his own novel.
I found myself caught in two minds as to whether I liked the cover or not. Wolverine himself is drawn very well and I like the added background. I don't like the length of the womens legs though as it makes them look disproportionate. Their definition and big boobs are par for the course I suppose and they're represented that way in the comics but the legs did look too long for me. And how on earth do they run in those boots? If you're not familiar with the characters on the cover I would forgive you for thinking the woman in black is Jean Grey of the X-Men but she is actually the Black Widow who was portrayed by Scarlett Johansson in last year's movie Iron Man 2. Also on the cover are Mystique, Banshee and Sabretooth.
The plot. Well, it's a plot full of twists and turns with it's background rooted in previous liaisons and conflicts between the characters the story revolves around. From goodreads...

"Wolverine. Sabretooth. Silver Fox. Wraith. Maverick. Together they were Team X, the best covert ops team NATO had to offer. But that was before a mission gone awry tore them all apart.
Now, former team members are being kidnapped, one by one. And Wolverine must find out the terrible secret from that old mission--a secret that has remained hidden for years, and could spell death for all of them..."

As with any Christopher Golden novel you care to read from Buffy the Vampire Slayer through to the X-Men the characterization and narrative is excellent. Golden weaves the story and integrates the different characters very well without ever giving too much of the mystery behind the abductions away. As such I was captivated by the story right through to the end. Unfortunately, it's the ending that lets this book down as I found it to be weak compared to the anticipation that the rest of the book had built up and the pay off to the mystery and storyline was disappointing. However, ending aside, the rest of the novel was an excellent read with a perfect mix of action, mystery and some good ol' fashioned Wolverine trash talking! ( )
  BookMarcBlogpants | Mar 3, 2011 |
Codename: Wolverine is largely a spy novel, with a very interesting cast.

Sabretooth, The Black Widow, Banshee, Mystique and Wolverine find themselves being hunted by a Black Ops team named Team Alpha - and most of them have been taken down, until Mystique escapes and gets to Wolverine.

They work out that it leads back to a spy operation in East Berlin during WWII. The operation was to recover a data disk from a pair of defectors. Wolverine's Team X included Sabretooth, Maverick and Silver Fox - now dead. Also the teleporter John Wraith. Mystique was freelancing for the Mossad, and the Widow was still working for the KGB. Banshee an Interpol agent with revenge against Romanova on his mind.

Time for them to find out what is going on in spook land.

http://notfreesf.blogspot.com/2009/12/codename-wolverine-christopher-golden.html ( )
  bluetyson | Nov 30, 2009 |
For Connie, past, present, and future
Long shadows stretched across the srid landscape of the Arizona desert and merged with the shimmering heat to create mirages.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425171116, Mass Market Paperback)

Now, former team members are being kidnapped, one by one. And Wolverine must find out the terrible secret from that old mission -- a secret that has remained hidden for years, and could spell death for all of them...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:15 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible