More Information Than You Require by John…

More Information Than You Require (edition 2008)

by John Hodgman

Info:Dutton Adult (2008), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:To read, unowned
Tags:read, lib?

More Information Than You Require by John Hodgman

Recently added byarchidose, rudidorn, vamn, CeliaD, private library, Danako, Phosfate, kurros

It dragged a little. Less amusing than the first book. ( )
  ancameme | Feb 9, 2014 |
A funny book. Many references to Buckaroo Banzai. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
This book it funny, really funny. In fact, most other comedians and humor writers could learn a lot from reading (or as in my case, listening to) this book. ( )
  dtn620 | Sep 22, 2013 |
I definitely prefer John Hodgman in famous minor television personality to John Hodgman in print. However, if you must have one famous minor life experience involving this book, consider reading aloud the list of 700 Moleman names. A truly enjoyable 40 minutes. ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
There's not a whole lot to distinguish this from Hodgman's last work. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. His stodgy-professor-of-the-bizarre schtick is still hysterical, although I'm a little concerned by his insistence that he's working on a third book. Comedians say that doing something three times is funny, but if the repetitiveness of More... is any indication, Hodgman has given this horse all the flogging it can handle. Specifically, the mole man history wasn't as good as the hobo history, and while I am curious to learn if Obama has a hook for a hand, I felt as though I'd already read Hodgman's section on the presidents.

I do have to give him credit, however, for his page-a-day calendar, which, although simple, was far and away the best part of the book. The way he gradually turns the seemingly random events into a story makes it a joy to discover, elevating what would have barely been noticeable as a paragraph somewhere in the book into something that truly stands out. ( )
  jawalter | Nov 18, 2012 |
As promised,

this book

is for

LEH
An Introduction: Good Evening.

Complete world knowledge,
Second installment, by the
"I'm a PC" guy.
(Shmuel510)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0525950346, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, October 2008: While writer and former literary agent John Hodgman had a considerable cult following before the publication of his first book, The Areas of My Expertise, the exact moment when Hodgmania hit fever pitch can be traced to his November 16, 2005, appearance on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, when a "Famous Minor Television Personality" was born. Since then he has welcomed a new level of visibility as the Resident Expert on The Daily Show, appearing as the PC in the ubiquitous "Get a Mac" ads, and in bit roles in movies and on TV, so the world should be primed to embrace More Information Than You Require, Book Two in his Compendium of Complete World Knowledge (or, as it says on the cover, "New Ferret, Same Old Con"). Fun facts, bizarre trivia, and oddball photos ("Figure 51: Jane Addams, Pre-Antlers") are crammed into every corner of the page with extended riffs on How to Tell the Future Using a Pig’s Spleen, What to Expect While Serving as a Juror, Gambling ("Sure Thing Number Three: Star Wars Slots"), How to Deal With Some Common Infestations, and of course, How to Be Famous. And what he did for hobos in The Areas of My Expertise, celebrating their free spirit and conniving ways (and a list of 700 hobo names), Hodgman does for mole-men, the "race of humanoids who live in the complex warren of tunnels and vast caverns beneath the earth." Did you know, for instance, that Thomas Jefferson uncovered on his "mole-manic palace known as Monticello" a "small group (or 'Parlor') of mole-men dining on weevil pie and discussing world affairs... 'They touched my face,' wrote Jefferson, 'and hissed, as is their custom.'" Naturally there are 700 Mole-Man Names and Occupations included ("No. 281: Mr. Wallow Dripstone, a worm rider"). Hodgman may be up to the same old con, but this brand new ferret of a book is a wise (and wise-ass) little predator who will swindle away your reading time with endless hours of rabies-free laughs. --Brad Thomas Parsons

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:31 -0400)

The best-selling author of The Areas of My Expertise presents a tongue-in-cheek compendium of made-up facts that fall under such headings as "The Method by Which We Elect Our Presidents," "How to Be a Famous Minor Television Personality," and "Gambling: The Sport of the Asthmatic Man."… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,610,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible