The Warmest December by Bernice L. McFadden

The Warmest December (edition 2012)

by Bernice L. McFadden, James Frey (Foreword)

Member:Fibers
Title:The Warmest December
Authors:Bernice L. McFadden
Other authors:James Frey (Foreword)
Info:Akashic Books (2012), Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:*****

The Warmest December by Bernice L. McFadden

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had a hard time reading this book as I felt like Ms. McFadden had not only lived my life but now she was is in my head listening to my thoughts. Our situations are so similar, the main difference being that my father is not yet confined to a hospital,though it wont be long.
This is a very good book even though I had to take it slow. The writing is superb!
I really appreciate the opportunity to have read this. Thank You. ( )
  Fibers | Feb 25, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
For someone who loves Toni Morrison, I have to say this book suffers by comparison. Like many of Morrison's protagonists, Kenzie is a victim--here, of the abuse from her alcoholic father. As she sits by his bedside as he is dying, she relives many of the incidents of abuse which caused her to hate him and turned her into an alcoholic as well. Somehow, however, I never really felt that I knew much about Kenzie except for her reaction to the abuse. This was a painful book to read, but for me it offered little to compensate for the brutality. ( )
  mexicangerry | Nov 10, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've actually read this book a few times. It's a sad story but the author has a writing style that makes the characters flow through the story. I'd recommend it to anyone who has come from a dysfunctional family and liked to see someone's else story. Although it's fiction, many families are indeed affected by alcoholism. ( )
  haidadareads | Nov 7, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Kenzie spent her childhood in a war zone fueled by alcohol. Raised by an abusive father and a mother who gave up long ago, she and her brother Malcolm just tried to survive their childhood.

This is one of those books that begins at the end, and then is filled with flashbacks. It is a daughter, all grown up now, sitting by the bedside of her dying father, coming to terms with their past. Struggling with her own demons, she is forced to face the fact that her father had demons of his own, and to try to learn forgiveness.

This book had some very intense moments, and it is disheartening to think that there are so many children out there suffering through the same things that Kenzie suffers through in her story. This is a glimpse into a dark world that I was lucky enough to have been shielded from in my childhood, having been raised by a mother who always put her children first.

Bernice McFadden is very adept at drawing you into this desolate world-- one which you get the feeling she is all too familiar with herself.

My final word: Author Bernice McFadden does what she does well. Most of this book was a quiet, meandering walk through a sad and desolate landscape, with glimpses of beauty and islands of oasis amidst the misery. The final brief chapter of this book was beautiful and heart-wrenching, and had me in tears. If you are interested in experiencing the bleak lives of children growing up in households of abuse and alcoholism, told with effective writing and character development, and leaving you with a sense of hope, pick up this book! ( )
  nfmgirl2 | Sep 30, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This novel is a painful account of the descent of a family plagued with the chronic disease of alcoholism, complete with recognition, recovery and forgiveness at the end of the story. Those familiar with familial abuse and alcoholism will find common ground here, but probably also scepticism based on comparisons in and out. Reviewers found the material to be beautifully written. I thought that it was vividly descriptive and honest, but far too often rather mechanical and certainly not lyrical. And unlike others I was not especially moved (or surprised) by the novel's redemptive ending. If the subject matter interests you, the book is worth a try. ( )
  billnr | Jul 8, 2012 |
...And every time I see him put the bottle to his mouth he don't suck out of it, it sucks out of him...
--Ken Kesey, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
For me,
those daughters,
and their fathers
Now and then I forget things, small things that would not otherwise alter my life. Things like milk in my coffee, setting my alarm clock, or Oprah at four. Tiny Things.

Buoyed by the lyrical, redemptive voice that distinguished McFadden's acclaimed debut novel, this new book tells the powerful, deeply moving story of one family and the alcoholism and abuse that marked their lives forever. Moving fluidly between the past and the present - between a young girl choosing which belt she'll be whipped with each night and her older self at the bedside of her dying father - it is an ultimately cathartic tale of hope, healing and forgiveness.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:46 -0400)

"Childhood can be rough. But for Kenzie growing up in the Lowe home means opening the bottom drawer of her father's dresser to choose which of the three belts coiled, waiting like snakes, she wants to get whipped with; trips to Beehive Liquors for her father's vodka; and dreaming of the day she can escape apartment A5. She goes to school, she holds odd jobs, and develops her own craving for the bottle. Twenty years have passed and it's now the nineties but not everything has changed for Kenzie. She is still haunted by her childhood, and learning that her father is dying she is shocked by her own desire to be with him during his final hours."--Jacket.… (more)

Bernice L. McFadden is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Akashic Books

An edition of this book was published by Akashic Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Warmest December by Bernice L. McFadden was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,887,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible