Good Luck by Whitney Gaskell

Good Luck (2008)

by Whitney Gaskell

Another really great Whitney Gaskell book. I enjoy that her books are easy, light, fun, and entertaining. They make for some great beach reading this summer. Love her wit, fun, and very entertaining books. Fun! Fun! ( )
  jdy | Jul 31, 2010 |
teacher gets fired for false accusation of sexual misconduct with a student, then wins the lottery and runs away. Pretty fluffy, but a good beach read.
  mochap | Jun 23, 2010 |
Lucy gets fired, finds her boyfriend cheating and wins a stupendous amount of money in the lottery. The story unfurls about how this affects not only her but her relationship with her family and friends. It also has Lucy finding new romantic possibilities. This book had a little bit of everything, really good chick lit read. ( )
  risadabomb | Mar 21, 2010 |
Fun, quick, easy mindless book. Great for a beach read or a snow storm (which is what happened to me!)

Lucy Parker has had one heck of a day. She is fired, wrongly accused of sexual misconduct, she walks in on her live-in boyfriend with another woman, and her car breaks down!

Well, the next day she buys a lottery ticket (wins, no spoiler there) and here begins a fun romp through Palm Beach, mistaken first impressions, ex-best friends, and can money buy you happiness?

Brainless, but fun. ( )
  coolmama | Feb 10, 2010 |
I'm sure it's the English teacher in me that's all freaked out by the premise of this book, but I have to say that the range of emotions I felt ran the spectrum! After being accused of sexual harassment by one of her students upset over a bad grade, Lucy Parker's life only goes from wretched, to unspeakable. She walks in on her live-in boyfriend with another woman, loses her job (obviously), and is being hounded by the press. In the midst of it all, she flippantly buys a lottery ticket that lands her the winner of a cool 34 million dollars.

While this is a story about finding oneself and not losing the core of who you are to money, there is a sweet romance embedded in it. Lucy has been hurt and betrayed, which leaves her not feeling like she's the best at picking men to be in a relationship with. So will she recognize a good guy, even if she judges on all accounts that he's bad?

I really enjoyed this novel, even though I was thoroughly freaked out by the sexual harassment charge landed against her. As a teacher, I try to take measures to ensure that someone couldn't annihilate my career in one fatal swoop, but hearing stories like this can be really unnerving. I think this connection to another teacher, and feeling for her after having so many hard knocks, I was more engaged in the story and really enjoyed it. In fact, I couldn't get through the last 100 pages fast enough! ( )
  mjmbecky | Oct 24, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553591517, Mass Market Paperback)

Lucy Parker wins the lottery on the worst day of her life. But can all the money in the world make up for a cheating boyfriend, a derailed career, and ending up in the middle of a media circus? Everyone wants a piece of Lucy…and all she wants is to escape from it all.

After life as she knows it falls apart, Lucy heads off to Palm Beach to hide out at the home of an old college friend. There, living in a tropical paradise of millionaires, Lucy acquires a new hair color, a new social set, and enough anonymity to put her notoriety behind her. Soon she’s courted by two men who don’t know her history. But just as Lucy begins to envision a new life for herself, the past catches up with her. Lucy would give up every penny to have her old life back—as soon as she’s ready to cash it all in, fate has one last surprise in store for her…one that will show her exactly what she’s worth.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:21 -0400)

Overwhelmed when she wins the lottery on the same day that her career derails, she discovers that her boyfriend is cheating, and she ends up in the middle of a media circus, Lucy Parker seeks refuge at the home of an old college friend in Palm Beach, where she tries to build a new life for herself, until the past catches up once again.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,618,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible