We Die Alone by David Howarth

We Die Alone (original 1955; edition 1957)

by David Howarth

5952616,490 (4)49
Member:jezebelr
Title:We Die Alone
Authors:David Howarth
Info:The Reprint Society (1957), Hardcover
Rating:*****
Tags:norway, world war II, adventure, endurance

We die alone by David Howarth (1955)

Recently added bybethkraemerky, SigmundFraud, ScoutJ, tsspyder, private library
    Touching the Void by Joe Simpson (srdr)
    srdr: Although this book is about mountain climbing rather than WW II, it is an equally gripping survival story.

English (25)  Danish (1)  All languages (26)
This is the incredible true story of loyalty, survival and determination, as told through the eyes of a soldier who lived against all odds. Though circumstances dictated that he should have died on more than one occasion, his survival instincts and the selfless sacrifice and support from strangers results in a story that is nothing less than amazing. ( )
  KarensStories | Jun 13, 2014 |
An incredible story of survival against all odds. A Norwegian returns to Northern Norway on the "Shetland bus" with Norwegian companions to attack a German airfield which commands the Arctic convoy routes. Unfortunately the group is betrayed to the Germans almost immediately and only one escapes and must make a long and arduous trek across frozen mountains to Sweden and freedom. This is his amazing story pieced together afterwards with those involved at every stage of his heroic flight. ( )
  edwardsgt | Feb 23, 2014 |
Are you depressed? Are you sick of people? Have you just read a book that has put you in the dumps? Then you must read We Die Alone: A WWII Epic of Escape and Endurance. I am sure you will like it. It works like a tonic. People are not all creeps! People do help others. This book is non-fiction, it is true and I dare you to read this book and not feel happy at the end. G-o-o-d book!

It is about events that occurred in Norway during the German occupation of WW2. The story begins in March 1943. Here is a survival story and a war story that will make you be happy to be alive. Have you been in Norway? Then you will also appreciate it, the book I mean. You will recognize the people, the food, hear about the Lapps and of course be swallowed up by the dark nights in the winter and recognize how glorious it is when the spring comes and it never gets dark....but this is scary if you are hiding. This book takes place in northern Norway, near Tromsö and the Bardufoss Airstation and Kilpisärvi Lake.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Stuart Langton. The narration was OK, but the pronunciation of Norwegian names kind of threw me off at times. Other than that I have no complaints. Maybe he showed a bit too much engagement; I prefer neutral narrators but heck he never wrecked the story, and I was completely glued to it once I had stated it.

The events are amazing. The story is well written, and there is humor and hope. If you are just a teeny bit in the mood for a survival story - pick this. I liked it even better than Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man's Miraculous Surviva and will try Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster to compare all three. There is mountaineering in all three.

I am giving this five stars not really because it was amazing but because I enjoyed it from start to finish and felt extremely happy at the end. People need books like this. ( )
2 vote chrissie3 | Aug 23, 2013 |
The movie takes place during World War II and depicts the true story of Jan Baalsruds amazing escape from the German army from the coast of Northern Norway and across the border to the neutral country Sweden. Jan Baalsrud is on a sabotage mission from England to Norway together with 11 other soldiers in the winter of 1943 in a fishing boat when they are attacked by a German patrolboat. Jan Baalsrud is the only one who manages to escape and sets off towards Sweden through the enormous amounts of snow and the steep mountains of Norway. The local communities where he passes through help him despite the danger of being arrested and killed. Jan Baalsrud, snowblind and having to cut off his toes because of frost-damage survives alone in the mountains for weeks. The locals are constantly trying to get him over to Sweden, but German patrols and the winter storms delay their departure.

This movie Nine Lives (1957)
Ni liv (original title)
is available at You Tube.

Director: Arne Skouen
David Howarth book "We Die Alone"
James L. Shute translation (uncredited)
Arne Skouen
Stars: Jack Fjeldstad, Henny Moan and Alf Malland

Lnatal | Mar 31, 2013 |

This movie Nine Lives (1957)
Ni liv (original title)
is available at You Tube.

Director: Arne Skouen
David Howarth book "We Die Alone"
James L. Shute translation (uncredited)
Arne Skouen
Stars: Jack Fjeldstad, Henny Moan and Alf Malland

Lnatal | Mar 31, 2013 |

David Howarthprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kontio, MattiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Odd Bang-HansenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ringnes, HaagenAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tossey, VerneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
On mourra seul - Pascal, 1623-1662
Even at the end of March, on the Arctic coast of northern Norway, there is no sign of spring.
We die alone was later published as Escape alone.

Jan Baalsrud's escape from Nazi-occupied arctic Norway is one of the most exciting escape narratives to emerge from the challenges and miseries of World War II chronicles . In March 1943, a team of expatriate Norwegian commandos sailed from northern England for Nazi-occupied arctic Norway to organize and supply the Norwegian resistance. But they were betrayed and the Nazis ambushed them. Only one man survived - Jan Baalsrud. This is the incredible and gripping story of his escape. Frostbitten and snowblind, pursued by the Nazis, he dragged himself on until he reached a small arctic village. He was near death, delirious, and a virtual cripple. But the villagers, at mortal risk to themselves, were determined to save him, and - through impossible feats - they did. We Die Alone is an astonishing true story of heroism and endurance. Like Salvomir Rawicz's, The Long Walk, it is also an unforgettable portrait of the determination of the human spirit.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,538,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible