Jasmine's Parlour Day by Lynn Joseph

Jasmine's Parlour Day (edition 1994)

by Lynn Joseph, Ann Grifalconi (Illustrator)

105880,191 (4)None
Member:Ronneisha
Title:Jasmine's Parlour Day
Authors:Lynn Joseph
Other authors:Ann Grifalconi (Illustrator)
Info:Lothrop Lee & Shepard (1994), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 1 pages
Rating:***
Tags:family, booth, paurlour, fish, sugar cookies

Jasmine's Parlour Day by Lynn Joseph

I very much enjoyed this story. I believe that it is appealing to children because it comes from a young girl's perspective and presents a work day as an exciting event. I also love how the book takes a tradition from a certain culture or population and presents it in a very accessible and positive way. Children are therefore taught about a tradition that they may not be familiar with and they get to learn about it from the perspective of another child. The one thing that I was unsure about in this story is the way that the author wrote "de" when the characters were saying "the." I completely understand that this pronunciation may be accurate to the culture, but I was unsure if this was a generalization or somehow stereotyping a group of people. This is something that I truly do not know and therefore I thought it might be an interesting thing to talk about. ( )
  jfoti | May 19, 2014 |
This book is ok. I read this to a class and they liked it, nothing special though. Good to read when talking about celebrating special days or events.
  EmilySansovich | Apr 25, 2014 |
Summary: This book shows a different way of life on Maracas Beach. It is about a girl named Jasmine who lives with her mother. They are preparing for selling their goods at the market, called Parlour Day. They live a very simple life on the island and Jasmine is a happy young girl playing with her friends and visiting others who are also at the market. She also must help her mother sell their sugar cakes and fish.
Personal Reaction: I really liked this book. It showed how they lived in a different environment,had different foods, and was a more simple was of living than ours. The girl was a very happy girl and had good friends. We could learn from this book, that happiness doesn't come from all the material things we have.
Classroom Extension Ideas: We can look up where Jasmines home is and see where this place is on the globe, from where we live. We can talk about ways we help our mom and dad at home. ( )
  graycl | Mar 17, 2013 |
Jasmine and her mother attends Parlour day every year. This is when families get together and set up booths. Jasmine and her mother are selling sugar cookies and fish. Before the parlour starts everyone interacts with one another. Once they see the surf boards and boats come out they begin to solicite. ( )
  Ronneisha | Mar 1, 2012 |
This book is about a little girl name Jasmine and her mother. Every year, on their island there is a Parlour day. At Parlour day, everyone sets up their stand with different things to sell. Jasmine and her mother were selling fish and sugar cakes. Before Parlour day begins, Jasmine goes to different booths to see all of her friends, and give each a piece of sugar cake. Once they see all of the people with their surfboards and boats, they realize that it is time to start Parlour Day. Jasmine runs back to the booth and hears her mom soliciting and she begins to join her. ( )
  Ronneisha | Jan 30, 2012 |

Across the road from Maracas Bay, the wooden parlours begin to fill up--with poulari balls, sugar cakes, fish, and friends and neighbors from all over Trinidad. Mama cuts ice from the half-drum and Jasmine sets out their fish. Then around the hill comes a line of cars--and parlour day has begun. Full color.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:10 -0400)

Jasmine helps her mother prepare to sell fish and sugar cakes at their parlour, or market stand, on market day on the island of Trinidad.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible