Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and…

Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit… (1994)

by Edward M. Hallowell (Author), John J. Ratey (Author)

I found this book to be so interesting. It discussed many of the misconceptions involving students who suffer with ADD/ADHD. I definitely plan on using the book as a future reference because I've faced some of the same issues that the text discussed involving parents. ( )
  Kbernard | Jul 17, 2014 |
I picked this book up years ago because of the title. Since then I have read about the controversy of the experts & self-diagnosis, but the stories in this book opened our eyes up to issues we were dealing with. We were able to understand that the struggles with ADD symptoms were common. It was a major breakthrough.
  drmom62 | Jul 10, 2014 |
This book definitely showed a more in depth side to Attention Deficit Disorder than I had previously known, especially in adulthood and with those who suffer from substance abuse and/or depression. The text uses real accounts from both children and adults who suffer from ADD as they discuss various medications, treatments, and repercussions. The text even mentions how ADD has actually become slang as people use it to describe moments when they cannot focus or get bored. This text reminds us of the reality of this brain disorder and the severity of it, while stressing the importance of having a proper diagnosis. This text reminds us that just because ADD victims have different behaviors or ways of thinking, their uniqueness brings a great deal to the table. I definitely recommend this text to parents of children with ADD or educators. ( )
  KMClark | Jul 5, 2014 |
I've been struggling recently with trying to figure out why I am the way I am, and my therapist gave me this book to read, to see if I could relate to any of it. Well, it was like the proverbial light bulb turned on over my head. This book read like a guidebook to what I've been struggling with my entire life. If you have, or suspect you have, ADD or if you live with someone who has it, this would be a good place to start as the book is extremely readable and understandable. ( )
  tapestry100 | Dec 2, 2013 |
As a fairly new academic advisor who works with students that have learning differences, I wanted more information about the most common learning disorders that students face in college. My friend, who is a psychiatrist, suggested that I read “Driven to Distraction” and I'm glad he did. They describe Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) in an easy to understand manner and present very useful coaching tips to help children and adults who live with ADD. ( )
  BBleil | Jan 11, 2013 |

Hallowell, Edward M.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ratey, John J.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
We gratefully dedicate this book to seven teachers of ours, seven psychiatrists who shared with each other a liveliness of mind, an independence of thought, a love of the work, and an appreciation of play.

They taught us to listen and to see.

Doris Menzer Benaron, Jules Bemporad, William Beuscher, Thomas Gutheil, Leston Havens, Allan Hobson, and Irvin Taube all gave of themselves much more than this small dedication can acknowledge. During their years of teaching at the Massachusetts Mental Health Center in Boston, they taught us to connect with the patient, person-to-person. They taught us to look for the heart of the patient, to look for the sorrow and for the joy. We thank them from our own hearts.
I have attention deficit disorder (ADD).

Fellow physicians
wrote this helpful life manual
I can't focus on
(jadler)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684801280, Paperback)

This clear and valuable book dispels a variety of myths about attention deficit disorder (ADD). Since both authors have ADD themselves, and both are successful medical professionals, perhaps there's no surprise that the two myths they attack most persistently are: (a) that ADD is an issue only for children; and (b) that ADD corresponds simply to limited intelligence or limited self-discipline. "The word disorder puts the syndrome entirely in the domain of pathology, where it should not entirely be. Although ADD can generate a host of problems, there are also advantages to having it, advantages that this book will stress, such as high energy, intuitiveness, creativity, and enthusiasm, and they are completely overlooked by the 'disorder' model." The authors go on to cite Mozart and Einstein as examples of probable ADD sufferers. (The problem as they see it is not so much attention deficit but attention inconsistency: "Most of us with ADD can in fact hyperfocus at times.") Although they warn against overdiagnosis, they also do a convincing job of answering the criticism that "everybody, and therefore nobody" has ADD. Using numerous case studies and a discussion of the way ADD intersects with other conditions (e.g., depression, substance abuse, and obsessive-compulsive disorder), they paint a concrete picture of the syndrome's realities. Especially helpful are the lists of tips for dealing with ADD in a child, a partner, or a family member. --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:36 -0400)

Discusses the causes, symptoms, and treatment of attention-deficit Disorder (ADD)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,052,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible