Joyful Noise: Poems For Two Voices…

Joyful Noise: Poems For Two Voices (Turtleback School & Library Binding… (original 1988; edition 1992)

by Paul Fleischman, Eric Beddows (Illustrator)

1,031None8,195 (4.22)19
Member:sandysuson
Title:Joyful Noise: Poems For Two Voices (Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition)
Authors:Paul Fleischman
Other authors:Eric Beddows (Illustrator)
Info:Turtleback (1992), School & Library Binding, 64 pages
Tags:Newbery, non fiction, poetry

Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices by Paul Fleischman (1988)

I liked Paul Fleischman's " Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices" illustrated by Eric Beddows. I really enjoed the Beddows pencil drawn illustrations which are cartoonish but still anatomically correct. The drawings accompanying "Honeybees" with the Queen relaxing on couch while the worker bees lug pails of honey on the next page emphasize the contrasting viewpoints of these two voices of the poem, as the workers describe their plight and the queen describes her pampered life. I enjoyed the poem The Book Lice as two lice describe the books the they've read, how they honeymooned in a book guide of Greece, and how the female louse enjoys mysteries while the male prefers poetry. The poetry's theme is the idea of insects having voice and experiences having two readers recreate these emotions through companion poetry. ( )
  awhite43 | Mar 20, 2014 |
This book of poems is incredible. The poems were written to be read aloud by two different people, who speak their lines at the same time (there are directions in the front pages of the book). Each poem is about a different insect and shares a little about that insect's life. For example, the poem on Mayflies tells how a mayfly lives for only one day and what they may do during that time. I think this is a great introduction to poetry as a literature form meant to be spoken aloud and not just read silently or alone. The subject matter can be comical, although it may sometimes be a bit much for the non-bug lover children. Despite that, I think this is a great book for teachers wanting to share poetry with their class in an interactive way.
  Megs_Scrambled | Mar 17, 2014 |
This book was written for two people to read different poems. The point of this book, according to the author, was to re-create the many different insects make. Paul Fleischman did a good job with the paintings and drawings of the insects that were in this book. I'm not that big on poetry, but this was a n interesting book to read. My first grade nephew even enjoyed it. I would use this book in my classroom as a science lesson over the different kids of insects there are. Kids at a young age enjoy learning about bugs, so this book was perfect. The poems were also really good, and I enjoyed them! I would have my students get in groups of two and think of a but they like, and have them try and come up with a poem to write about their insect they picked out. ( )
  jenae5 | Nov 16, 2013 |
Summary: A book about different kinds of insects. It describes their lives in poems that are supposed to be read aloud by two different readers. The poems allow the readers to learn about different insects in a fun way.

Personal Reaction: I didn’t have two reader’s reading aloud the book, so I wasn’t able to get the full effect of the rhythm the poem was supposed to make. It was cool how nicely the poems describe the life of insects.

Classroom Extension:
1. Put stents in groups of two and have them read two of the poems from the book aloud.
2. Let the students pick an insect to write a short poem about.
  Mandi20 | Nov 13, 2013 |
Overview-
This book is written in poem/lyrical form, and it is about the differnt noises insects make. It goes through insects by name and thats a new chapter so to speak. These chapters explain how the insects act, make their sounds, and how they live. It is very interesting and fun to read becuase of the format.

Personal Reaction-
I found this book interesting and fun to read. It has a happy feel and jumpy rhythm. I think it would be good in a classroom because of the way the teacher could read it. Almost like a song or dance feel.

Classroom Extension Ideas-
1. This would be a good book for a poetry lesson starter.

2. A teacher could also use this book to read to students before they learn about insects.
  Macylynn | Apr 15, 2013 |

Paul Fleischmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beddows, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sap's rising

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064460932, Paperback)

Winner of the 1989 Newbery Award, Joyful Noise is a children's book of poetry about insects that was designed for two readers to enjoy together. On each page are two columns of verse for children to alternate reading aloud about the lives of six-legged creatures ranging from fireflies writing in the sky to a love affair between two lice, crickets eating pie crumbs and the single day in the life of a mayfly. Charming large scale soft-pencil illustrations enhance the comical, easy-to-read text.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:44 -0400)

A collection of poems describing the characteristics and activities of a variety of insects.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,460,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible