Joyful Noise: Poems For Two Voices…

Joyful Noise: Poems For Two Voices (Turtleback School & Library Binding… (original 1988; edition 1992)

by Paul Fleischman, Eric Beddows (Illustrator)

1,220706,532 (4.2)25
Member:sandysuson
Title:Joyful Noise: Poems For Two Voices (Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition)
Authors:Paul Fleischman
Other authors:Eric Beddows (Illustrator)
Info:Turtleback (1992), School & Library Binding, 64 pages
Tags:Newbery, non fiction, poetry

Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices by Paul Fleischman (1988)

I dislike, but also enjoyed this book for many reasons. Firstly, I didn’t enjoy it as much because the writing does not seem very organized. This book is to be read aloud with two people, but it seems a little confusing. For example, on page 24, on the left half of the page there is written, “I’m digging now for their protection…” On the right half of the page is written, “Yet, when they behold the home safe and snug…” I tried reading it out loud with my nephew, but we didn’t understand what to do. Secondly, I enjoyed the book because of its use if illustrations. When I picked this book, I didn’t think it would have pictures, but it contains simple black and white pictures. The illustrations emphasize the insect/bug being talked about, which I think allows the reader to visualize what the insect is doing. For example, on page 32 and 33, the chapter is talking about beetles, and there are beetles all over the page adding to the text. Finally, the text itself is very descriptive and allows us to relate to the bugs. For example, on the beetles chapter it says, “We’re spinning and swerving as if we were on a mad merry-go-round.” Adding ‘merry-go-round’ allowed me to visualize how the beetles were moving and I could relate to them from my many experiences on a merry-go-round. I believe the main message of the book is to understand and appreciate insects and their similarities between us. ( )
  pparka1 | Mar 31, 2016 |
The teacher could use this book in the classroom to explore different habits of animals. Poems explore the habitats and characteristics of insects so the teacher could create foodwebs and life cycles for each animal. This book could also be used as a tool to show how language can be used to paint a picture, this would be for older grades. The teacher could ask students to highlight words they read that are descriptive in nature and use these words in their own sentences. This book caters to children greades 2-5 and can be used for entertainment as well as educationally. The book uses lots of specialized vocabulary which could be investigated by students and added to a word wall in order to create familiarity. ( )
  Isaacwinton | Mar 9, 2016 |
I would use this book in a 3rd, 4th or 5th grade classroom. I would use this book at these grade levels because of its difficulty level and because this is when there is more focus placed on poetry. I would use this book as a group book because this is a book for two voices meaning that it is best when two people read it together. This book may appeal more to boys because it focuses on different types of bugs so this book could be a good way to get boys interested in poetry. ( )
  LRetzlaff | Mar 8, 2016 |
I would use this book for grades second and above. The poesm are a little lengthy for younger kids, but by reading them aloud with the help of another person it will help to hold kids attention. For younger students, this is a good example of poetry that must be read aloud. They can read it in their head, and then listen to it aloud to hear the different affects. Older students could use this as a model, and write their own poems that are meant to be read allowed.
  TaylorWebb | Mar 3, 2016 |
Three stars for the book and five for the fun we had reading this book aloud. All of these poems were about insects. I was especially fond of the one about a moth and his unrequited love for a porchlight. So sad! ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |

Paul Fleischmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beddows, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sap's rising

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064460932, Paperback)

Winner of the 1989 Newbery Award, Joyful Noise is a children's book of poetry about insects that was designed for two readers to enjoy together. On each page are two columns of verse for children to alternate reading aloud about the lives of six-legged creatures ranging from fireflies writing in the sky to a love affair between two lice, crickets eating pie crumbs and the single day in the life of a mayfly. Charming large scale soft-pencil illustrations enhance the comical, easy-to-read text.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:46 -0400)

A collection of poems describing the characteristics and activities of a variety of insects.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,793,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible