Joyful Noise: Poems For Two Voices…

Joyful Noise: Poems For Two Voices (Turtleback School & Library Binding… (original 1988; edition 1992)

by Paul Fleischman, Eric Beddows (Illustrator)

Title:Joyful Noise: Poems For Two Voices (Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition)
Authors:Paul Fleischman
Other authors:Eric Beddows (Illustrator)
Info:Turtleback (1992), School & Library Binding, 64 pages
Tags:Newbery, non fiction, poetry

Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices by Paul Fleischman (1988)

This is my favorite poetry book of all time. The way Fleischmann introduces different insects through poetry is so interesting. I love Fireflies! It is by far my favorite poem in this book. I love how students can work together to read through these types of poems. ( )
  Kelleighk1 | Oct 13, 2016 |
I love reading this and imagining two people whispering, chanting, singing, and buzzing through the poetry. Just lovely. ( )
  bradfordtam | Jul 18, 2016 |
A new way to look at insects and poetry. Poetry written for 2 to read aloud. Even with shared lines, there might be a different point of view. Lovely choice of words (fireflies flickering flitting flashing). ( )
  Patty6508 | Jul 4, 2016 |
This is an amazing book of two part poems written from the point of view of 14 different insects. One of my favorite poems is Honeybees, as it humorously compares the life of the queen and the life of worker bees. Another poem that even primary students can enjoy is Water Striders. These insects try to teach others the easy task of gliding on the water, but their students keep sinking. ( )
  jmillerlits | Jun 29, 2016 |
I dislike, but also enjoyed this book for many reasons. Firstly, I didn’t enjoy it as much because the writing does not seem very organized. This book is to be read aloud with two people, but it seems a little confusing. For example, on page 24, on the left half of the page there is written, “I’m digging now for their protection…” On the right half of the page is written, “Yet, when they behold the home safe and snug…” I tried reading it out loud with my nephew, but we didn’t understand what to do. Secondly, I enjoyed the book because of its use if illustrations. When I picked this book, I didn’t think it would have pictures, but it contains simple black and white pictures. The illustrations emphasize the insect/bug being talked about, which I think allows the reader to visualize what the insect is doing. For example, on page 32 and 33, the chapter is talking about beetles, and there are beetles all over the page adding to the text. Finally, the text itself is very descriptive and allows us to relate to the bugs. For example, on the beetles chapter it says, “We’re spinning and swerving as if we were on a mad merry-go-round.” Adding ‘merry-go-round’ allowed me to visualize how the beetles were moving and I could relate to them from my many experiences on a merry-go-round. I believe the main message of the book is to understand and appreciate insects and their similarities between us. ( )
  pparka1 | Mar 31, 2016 |

Paul Fleischmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beddows, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sap's rising

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064460932, Paperback)

Winner of the 1989 Newbery Award, Joyful Noise is a children's book of poetry about insects that was designed for two readers to enjoy together. On each page are two columns of verse for children to alternate reading aloud about the lives of six-legged creatures ranging from fireflies writing in the sky to a love affair between two lice, crickets eating pie crumbs and the single day in the life of a mayfly. Charming large scale soft-pencil illustrations enhance the comical, easy-to-read text.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:46 -0400)

A collection of poems describing the characteristics and activities of a variety of insects.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,785,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible