Papa Married a Mormon by John D. Fitzgerald

Papa Married a Mormon (1955)

by John D. Fitzgerald

Great stories of John D Fitzgerald's growing up. He continues in Mama's Boardinghouse. This one is the better one I think, but I love them both. ( )
1 vote njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I enjoyed the story so much I hardly noticed the clunky writing. No, that's not true. I enjoyed the story so much I was able to disregard the clunky writing, mostly. It's a fictionalized biography, and it's a lot of fun. Fitzgerald's relatives were very interesting people, if half of what he wrote was true. I especially liked Uncle Will, unrepentant black sheep of the family. ( )
1 vote satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Okay, this sounds really weird. And in some places it was. John D. Fitzgerald is also the author of the Great Brain series, but this is his adult look at his family history. My problem is that I’m not sure to what extent it’s been fictionalized, but I suspect it’s pretty heavily changed from the real story. ( )
1 vote maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
A wonderfully sweet account of family life in a time gone by from "Great Brain" author John D. Fitzgerald. This version of life in Adenville, Utah differs somewhat from the cleaned-up fictionalized version. There was a sister who was apparently rather boring and afraid to swim, for instance. Maybe that's why Katie didn't get to be in the books. Uncle Will made his living running a gambling hall for the miners and lived with a woman who was no better than she should be. Gentle Aunt Cathie started out as a mean and strident religious fanatic. The Fitzgeralds did adopt a boy named Earnie, but this was because his father was a hopeless alcoholic, not like poor fictional Frankie's family, who were killed by an rockslide that buried the road.

I loved the part about how Mama, Shunned by the local Mormons she had grown up with for marrying a "gentile" man, hosted Sunday hymn-singing gatherings at her home where all were welcome. Even their Methodist neighbor and the Jewish shopkeeper. It all sounded so... revolutionarily tolerant. Good for them. I wish more religious people could quit looking down their noses at Others and be more like the Fitzgeralds. We'd have a better world if everyone believed that "all churches are a window to God."

It seems that Tom D. Fitzgerald did indeed have a great brain as a boy. He ended up becoming a Mormon, going on a three-year mission to China, and returning to marry Bishop Aden's daughter. I hope he used his great brain to acquire an income that satisfied his money-loving heart. I have read an account that said he lived in Utah all his life, somewhere near the Wasatch Range in today's Price Canyon, and he survived his little brother, J.D., who died in Florida not all that long ago. (Sorry, I'm not gonna look that up for you. Maybe later).
1 vote KaterinaBead | Apr 8, 2008 |
For Mamma and Papa
Foreword: "John D.," Mamma said to me when i showed her a copy of the magazine containing my first published short story, "promise me that some day you will write a story about the little people who built the West - the people like Papa, Uncle Will, Uncle Mark, Aunt Cathie, Bishop Aden, Hal Gentry, Grandpa and Grandma Neilsen..."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,301,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible