Merlin (The Pendragon Cycle, Book 2) by…

Merlin (The Pendragon Cycle, Book 2) (original 1988; edition 1996)

by Stephen R. Lawhead

Member:james7163
Title:Merlin (The Pendragon Cycle, Book 2)
Authors:Stephen R. Lawhead
Info:HarperCollins (1996), Paperback, 484 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Merlin by Stephen R. Lawhead (1988)

This version of Merlin is by far the best I have ever read. He is awesome and the hero of the series. ( )
  alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |
Part 1 is solid, good stuff. Part 2 is thoroughly remarkable. Part 3 is so-so. Lawhead has a problem nailing the ending of these novels, which is too bad. ( )
  chriskrycho | Mar 30, 2013 |
This is an interesting take on the story of Merlin. Arthur is there, but only peripherally - THIS is Merlin's story.
His boyhood, how he lost his land, adopting a new land and family - how he grew from a common child to a legend.
It held my interest all the way through. ( )
  dragonasbreath | Oct 10, 2011 |
The second book in the Pendragon Cycle by Stephen Lawhead does not disappoint. Lawhead provides an excellent, albeit a bit religious, adaption of the legendary Merlin. I felt the first book in the series, Taliesin, was a great book, but Merlin is a must read. Unlike Taliesin, Merlin is told in the first-person, by Merlin, which I felt made the book more enjoyable. The book is loaded with high kings (yes, there are several), bards, druids, evil, and epic battles with the ever present and menacing barbarians, the Saecsen. Now, on to book three in the series, Arthur. ( )
  james7163 | Sep 14, 2011 |
I struggled with Merlin. While I loved Taliesin there were aspects of that book as well that I struggled with, mostly the names and places. I took my time reading it and then I took my time reading Merlin and with Merlin, I just ended up feeling completely out of my depths.

I felt while I was reading this story, that I should have come into it knowing a little more about the history. As it was, I was surrounded by names and places that I couldn't pronounce and a story that I just couldn't follow, no matter how many times I flipped back and forth trying to remember and put things together. I'm really unhappy about this too, because I desperately wanted to like this book as much as I liked the first.

I will probably give it another try another time. In the meantime, I don't think I'll be moving on to the next book in the series anytime soon. ( )
  TheLostEntwife | Mar 12, 2011 |

Stephen R. Lawheadprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hildebrandt, GregCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hildebrandt, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Posen, MikeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ten rings there are, and nine gold torcs
on the battlechiefs of old;
Eight princely virtues, and seven sins
for which a soul is sold;
Six is the sum of earth and sky,
of all things meek and bold;
Five is the number of ships that sailed
from Atlantis lost and cold;
Four kings of the Westerlands were saved,
three kingdoms now behold;
Two came together in love and fear,
in Llyonesse stronghold;
One world there is, one God, and one birth
the Druid stars foretold

S. R. L.
Oxford, 1987
To the memoyr of James L Johnson
They were going to kill Arthur.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380708892, Mass Market Paperback)

He was born to greatness, the son of a druid bard and a princess of lost Atlantis. A trained warrior, blessed with the gifts of prophecy and song, he grew to manhood in a land ravaged by the brutal greed of petty chieftains and barbarian invaders.

Merlin: Respected, feared and hated by many, he was to have a higher destiny. for It was he who prepared the way for the momentous event that would unite the Island of the Mighty—the coming of Arthur Pendragon, Lord of the Kingdom of Summer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:57 -0400)

Born of nobility and possessing magical talents, Merlin works to prepare an England abandoned by its Roman occupiers for the coming of Arthur Pendragon.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,543,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible