War Is...: Soldiers, Survivors, and…

War Is...: Soldiers, Survivors, and Storytellers Talk About War

by Marc Aronson

Outstanding anthology! ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
The realities of war are something that are difficult for those who are at home to understand. Using a variety of different points of view, the reasons for and thoughts about what war is and why it happens are addressed. The moral questions along with the practical and philosophical are addressed, but like many things are are few clear answers. Selected passages from this book could be really useful in a variety of high school level socials studies classes. ( )
  Jmmott | Dec 7, 2011 |
Marc Aronson and Patty Campbell have selected firsthand accounts and letters and interviews that bring to life the stark realities of war. The end result neither glamorizes nor belittles the work of the men and women (often teenagers) who serve our country and couldn’t be more timely.

A few of the selections in this book really stood out to me. Having never considered the armed forces as a possible future for myself, I found that the “Letter to a Young Enlistee” by Christian Bauman really brought this decision making process into perspective. “In the Front Lines” by Ernie Pyle is a collection of a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist’s articles from the heart of the action in World War II and served as a powerful reminder of the many sacrifices made by my grandfather’s generation. C. W. Bowman Jr.’s “Memories of Vietnam” were written decades after he returned from fighting. Offering the wisdom that comes with hindsight, his tales of being under siege and running tunnels brought the conflict in Vietnam more to life for me in a few pages than many of the movies I’ve seen on the war.

For a look at the more recent conflict in Iraq, I highly recommend “Women at War: What It Is Like to Be a Female Soldier in Iraq,” a series of profiles of women soldiers who are a growing part of the military; “Wordsmiths at War,” a trio of insightful blog entries by a soldier; and “Killing Flies” a one-act play by Rita Williams-Garcia about the challenges of returning home after war.

http://tatalonline.blogspot.com/2011/04/arlington-reads-2011-war-is.html ( )
  katie.funk | Jun 23, 2011 |
4Q, 4P
"...if we ask people to fight for us - as we always have an always will - we owe them the respect of listening to them. We have to honor their experience by paying attention to it, no matter how uncomfortable it makes us." p 9 (Marc Aronson, What I Believe About War) ( )
  LindsayHanson | Jun 2, 2010 |
This is an intriguing compilation of essays, fiction, non-fiction, and observations about war--its nature, the consequences of choices which are made both before and after, and well worth the time to read. ( )
  Prop2gether | Jan 6, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0763642312, Mass Market Paperback)

In a provocative anthology, two editors with opposing viewpoints present
an unflinching collection of works refl ecting on the nature of war.

Marc Aronson thinks war is inevitable. Patty Campbell thinks war is cruel, deceptive, and wrong. But both agree on one thing: that teens need to hear the truthful voices of those who have experienced war firsthand. The result is this dynamic selection of essays, memoirs, letters, and fiction from nearly than twenty contributors, both contemporary and historical — ranging from Christian Bauman's wrenching "Letter to a Young Enlistee" to Chris Hedges's unfl inching look at combat to Fumiko Miura's Nagasaki memoir, "A Survivor's Tale." Whether the speaker is Mark Twain, World War II correspondent Ernie Pyle, or a soldier writing a miliblog, these divergent pieces look war straight in the face — and provide an invaluable resource for teenagers today.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:17 -0400)

A collection of essays, memoirs, letters, and fiction that present opposing viewpoints on the nature of war by such contributors as Mark Twain, Bob Dylan, and Ernie Pyle.

Candlewick Press

Two editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763636258, 0763642312

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible