Taliesin by Stephen R. Lawhead

Taliesin (1987)

by Stephen R. Lawhead

Series: The Pendragon Cycle (1)

Rating: 2* of five

The Publisher Says: It was a time of legend, when the last shadows of the mighty Roman conqueror faded from the captured Isle of Britain. While across a vast sea, bloody war shattered a peace that had flourished for two thousand years in the doomed kingdom of Atlantis.

My Review: Ohfagawdsake.

An Atlantean princess? Atlantis, assuming Plato told the truth, sank over 3500 years before this book takes place. How old was this broad? How'd she have a kid?

The shuddersome Jesusyness of the book made me itch.

I sent this book on to its reward via Bookmooch. Ghastly.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. ( )
1 vote richardderus | Aug 15, 2014 |
The language for this series of books is writing at a very high level. I have a masters and several times I did mot know what the word meant. However, is spite of that, I give this series five stars. It s rich and deep and wonderfully told. It is in a league of its own. ( )
  DianneAstle | Aug 4, 2014 |
  DianneAstle | Aug 4, 2014 |
Stephen Lawhead has written two genre-spanning series which are fantastical retellings of historical legends: THE PENDRAGON CYCLE (King Arthur) and THE KING RAVEN TRILOGY (Robin Hood). I didn't like THE PENDRAGON CYCLE as well as I liked THE SONG OF ALBION, which was a later and better work. The story was too slow for me and the writing was not nearly as polished.

However, there are a lot of fans of this rendering of Arthur, I think because Lawhead does a lot of research, which makes his worlds believable. He is particularly good with Celtic lore. There is much to learn and enjoy here, but I was a bit impatient with the slow pace.

My library, which has a very small selection of downloadable audiobooks, actually carrie... Read More:
http://www.fantasyliterature.com/fantasy-author/lawheadstephen/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
This is the second Lawhead trilogy, which I won't be reading the rest in the series. Lawhead has a reputation for integrating Christian theology into classic hero mythos. This series tackles the Arthurian legend, and he starts all the way back with the birth and coming-of-age of Merlin. He's critiqued by many for being preachy and of all things talking about God in Arthurian mythos, which to me is laughable considering the classic knight's pledge. There are some novel concepts like the way he introduced Merlin and even the theological weavings. My problem is the rest of the book before and after such weavings is so tedious and tiring that by the time I got to something intriguing I was praying to be put out of my misery. Tedious conversations and inconsequential matters go on too long and the good bits are glanced over. Imagine Jane Austen redoing the Arthurain mythos with a dash of Christian theology thrown in. I know that sounds like a slight to Jane, I apologize Jane, but it's the one that best comes to mind. Hopefully, his take on Robin Hood will go better. ( )
1 vote revslick | Feb 8, 2014 |

Stephen R. Lawheadprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Posen, MikeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Brad and Nancy
I will weep no more for the lost, asleep in their water graves.
Celtic indicia taken from The Celtic Design Book by Rebecca McKilip w permission

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038070613X, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:42 -0400)

A retelling of an Arthurian legend about the bard Taliesin and his love for Charis, the princess of Atlantis. The sequels are Merlin (1988, 1990), Arthur (1989, 1990), and Pendragon (1994). It was a time of legend, when the last shadows of the mighty Roman conqueror faded from the captured Isle of Britain. While across a vast sea, bloody war shattered a peace that had flourished for two thousand years in the doomed kingdom of Atlantis. Taliesin is the remarkable adventure of Charis, the Atlantean princess who escaped the terrible devastation of her homeland, and of the fabled seer and druid prince Taliesin, singer at the dawn of the age. It is the story of an incomparable love that joined two worlds amid the fires of chaos, and spawned the miracles of Merlin...and Arthur the king.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,718,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible