The Glass of Time: A Novel by Michael Cox

The Glass of Time: A Novel (edition 2008)

by Michael Cox, Josephine Bailey (Narrator)

Member:devans00
Title:The Glass of Time: A Novel
Authors:Michael Cox
Other authors:Josephine Bailey (Narrator)
Info:Tantor Media (2008), Edition: Unabridged,Unabridged CD, Audio CD
Tags:mystery, thriller, england, europe, family, aristocracy, culture, sociology, custom, Madeira, portugal

The Glass of Time by Michael Cox

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (sskwire)
    sskwire: The greatest novel by one of the greatest Victorian suspense writers. I suspect Cox is a huge fan, and anyone who likes his work won't be able to put down "The Woman in White."
    The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox (historycycles)
    historycycles: "The Meaning of Night" is required reading in order to enjoy "The Glass of Time," which is the sequel.

English (46)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (48)
I was interrupted a lot while reading this book, and so it didn't flow as well for me as his first book. Some find the style annoying, because he builds suspense but then goes on with descriptions or comments and you just want to find out what happens! I did find myself skimming sometime to get to the resulting action, and then going back to enjoy the writing style.
If it comes out as a book on CD I would like to listen to it.
  KylaS | Feb 18, 2016 |
It was a mistake to wait several years after reading "The Meaning of Night" by the late Michael Cox before starting his other novel, "The Glass of Time." I hadn't realized the second book continued the story of the first, but from a different perspective. The perspective of the first is that of a killer in 19th century England who explains in great deal the how and why of his crime. The second novel is told from the point of view of his daughter, Esperanza Gorst, who knows nothing at first of her father or his crime.

Esperanza, directed by her guardian, takes a position as lady's maid to a mysterious and beautiful widow called the Lady Tansor. This woman may herself have been involved in one or more murders. Now Esperanza is told to earn the lady's love and trust and ultimately to try to marry her oldest son, thus eventually becoming the next baroness herself.

The novel is long and extremely complex, with secrets revealed and mysteries unraveled in virtually every chapter. We discover, as Esperanza does, that she is not just continuing her father's story but also pursuing the same objectives.

I don't rate this as highly as the first novel. Even for the Victorian novel it purports to be, it is just too convoluted and unconvincing. It still makes good reading, however. ( )
  hardlyhardy | Feb 15, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I couldn't get into this book. I tried because I wanted to be fair for this review (I received an ARC) but I think it was too dark and too drawn out for me. ( )
  eshaw27 | Jan 18, 2016 |
I'm a bit disappointed in this follow-up to THE MEANING OF NIGHT, my favorite book of 2006. I recommend reading that book before reading this book. Otherwise, I think one would become confused with all the information thats crammed in at the end of this story, apparently in order to make more sense of the storyline. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
Didn't know this was the second in a series... so now I'll have to back and do the first one. Intriguing characters, captivating story, the power of love and revenge... what's not to like? Listened to this during my runs, so I looked forward to getting back out there and visit with these delightful and tortured people. ( )
  asawyer | Dec 31, 2014 |
For Truth is like a lone bird singing,
On the edge of day and night —
The unseen herald, ever bringing
Certainty of Light.

—P. Verney Duport
From Merlin and Nimue
Privated Printed (1876), Canto III
We twayne are one too many (quoth I) for men saie,
Three maie keepe a counsell, if two be awaie.

JOHN HEYWOOD, Dialogue of Proverbs (1546)
For Dizzy — again

Dedicated also to the Memory of
Pat Riccioni
Melissa Allen
Chris Davenport
I wish you, first of all, to imagine that you are standing beside me, peeping over the rail of an arched and curtained gallery, set — like the stage of some aerial theatre — high above a long and imposing room.

Building on his haunting, superbly written debut, The Meaning of Night, Michael Cox returns to a story of murder, love, and revenge in Victorian England.
In the autumn of 1876, nineteen-year-old Esperanza Gorst arrives at the great country house of Evenwood in Northhamptonshire. There she will serve as the new lady's maid to the former Emily Carteret, now Lady Tansor. But Esperanza is no ordinary servant. She has been sent by her guardian, the mysterious Madame de l'Orme, to uncover the secrets that her new mistress has sought to conceal—and to set right a past injustice in which her own life is intertwined. Unable to escape the reverberations of past misdeeds, Lady Tansor finds herself desperate to keep Esperanza from learning dark, dangerous truths.
As well as a page-turning period mystery, The Glass of Time is a beautifully written and vividly imagined study of seduction, betrayal, and friendship between two powerful women bound together by the past.

Building on his "superb" (Washington Post) debut, The Meaning of Night, Michael Cox returns to a murderous nineteenth-century England.

Like its "beguiling" and "intelligent" (New York Times Book Review) predecessor, The Glass of Time is a page turning period mystery about identity, the nature of secrets, and what happens when past obsessions impose themselves on an unwilling present. In the autumn of 1876, nineteen year-old orphan Esperanza Gorst arrives at the great country house of Evenwood to become a lady's maid to the twenty-sixth Baroness Tansor. But Esperanza is no ordinary servant. She has been sent by her guardian, the mysterious Madame de l'Orme, to uncover the secrets that her new mistress has sought to conceal, and to set right a past injustice in which Esperanza's own life is bound up. At Evenwood she meets Lady Tansor's two dashing sons, Perseus and Randolph, and finds herself enmeshed in a complicated web of seduction, intrigue, deceit, betrayal, and murder. Few writers are as gifted at evoking the sensibility of the nineteenth century as Michael Cox, who has made the world of Charles Dickens and Wilkie Collins his own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:12 -0400)

Taking a job as a Victorian lady's maid in the household of baroness Tansor, nineteen-year-old orphan Esperanza Gorst hides the truth about her mission to uncover her mistress's secrets about a past injustice that has affected Esperanza's own life. By the author of The Meaning of Night.… (more)

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393067734, 0393337162

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Glass of Time: A Novel by Michael Cox was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible