Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes by…

Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes (edition 2008)

by Mem Fox

Member:ashbrau
Title:Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes
Authors:Mem Fox
Info:Harcourt Children's Books (2008), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Storytime Collection, Your library

Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes by Mem Fox

This was one of the most simplistic books I could find in the library, but it was surprisingly full of substance. One thing I liked about it was that it had such a deep message for such a short book. It did a spectacular job of teaching acceptance and diversity in a way that very young children could understand. The big idea of the book was that even though everyone is different, we are all human. The book told of several babies who were all born on the same day, but all in different countries and circumstances. The book described these circumstances, and then went on to say that despite this, all the babies had ten fingers and ten toes: “There was one little baby who was born on the ice, and another in a tent, who was just as nice. And both of these babies, as everyone knows, had 10 little fingers and 10 little toes.” The simplistic illustrations did a great job of highlighting the important points of the story, as well. For example, one of the pages highlighted a baby “wrapped in an eiderdown.” The illustration on that page consisted of only a baby wrapped in a blanket. This way, children are able to figure out what the word means by looking at the picture. Overall, the book did a great job of weaving an important message into a fun, enjoyable story. ( )
  lmcswe1 | Sep 18, 2014 |
Summary:
This is a story that talks about children all being the same all over the world. It explains that one baby is born here or there one baby is born like this or like that but all babies are born with ten fingers and ten toes.

Personal Experience:
I have a connection to this book because my sons friend is a different race than he is. The neighbor boy has practically been raised in my house. He is there all the time. I had to explain to my son that there is not a difference between us because of our skin.

Classroom Extension:
1. I would get several different magazines and let the students cut out several different ethnic groups of people and glue them on constrution paper showing we are all the same except our skin.
2. I would talk to the students about how dogs look different but are all dogs and the same for snakes, cats, birds and so forth ( )
  shelby22 | Jul 15, 2014 |
Early concept book counting to 10
amazon
  LindseyGreenlaw | Mar 14, 2014 |
Babies are born in different places, but they have things in common like ten little toes and ten little fingers. Even though, they are all different ethnicities they are still alike in many ways. A great reader where the children will be repeating stanza's.

Source: Lakewood Library
Ages: 2-4
  DalyJannie | Nov 17, 2013 |
this book is about how people have ten fingers and ten toes
Age: Toddlers
Source: Amazon
  DaisyMendoza | Nov 13, 2013 |

Fox, Memprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oxenbury, HelenIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Helena, who teaches them all -M. F.

For all the babies of the world -H. O.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 015206057X, Hardcover)

As everyone knows, nothing is sweeter than tiny baby fingers and chubby baby toes. . . . And here, from two of the most gifted picture-book creators of our time, is a celebration of baby fingers, baby toes, and the joy they—and the babies they belong to—bring to everyone, everywhere, all over the world!

This is a gorgeously simple picture book for very young children, and once you finish the rhythmic, rhyming text, all you’ll want to do is go back to the beginning . . . and read it again! The luminous watercolor illustrations of these roly-poly little ones from a variety of backgrounds are adorable, quirky, and true to life, right down to the wrinkles, dimples, and pudges in their completely squishable arms, legs, and tummies.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:37 -0400)

Rhyming text compares babies born in different places and in different circumstances, but they all share the commonality of ten little fingers and ten little toes.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670072397, 0143503588

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible