Night's Master by Amanda Ashley

Night's Master (edition 2008)

by Amanda Ashley

Member:saraslibrary
Title:Night's Master
Authors:Amanda Ashley
Info:Zebra (2008), Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:fiction, horror, romance, vampires, series, night's

Night's Master by Amanda Ashley

Read a short story by Amanda Ashley in an anthology that I loved, so I thought I'd pick up one of her full length books.

I really could not get into this book. Ashley's writing is smooth and easy to read. However, the characters and pacing of the story just did not hold my interest. The main character, Kathy, opens up a bookstore in a small town and suddenly finds herself caught in the middle of a battle between werewolves and vampires. From that I thought I would enjoy it as it was a very Underworld set up. But Kathy was such a dull character. She barely played an active role in the book. Most of the time it just seemed like she was just along for the ride. Her one role in the book seemed to ask a crap ton of questions. She was constantly grilling Rafe about his past and what it is like to be a vampire. And when she wasn't grilling Rafe she was brooding because he was a vampire. Rafe seemed like an interesting character, but he never really got the chance to develop on his own. Instead we get information dumps on his past through Kathy's questions. Also, for being the leader of the North American vampires he sure didn't seem to have very many responsibilities.

The other thing that really bothered me about this story is that things about the setting didn't mesh. At the very beginning of the book we learn that this story takes place in a future where vampires and werewolves are known to exist by humans and that there's been an ongoing war between them for quite some time. What bothered me about this is that despite vampires and werewolves being known to exist the character knows absolutely nothing about them except the myths. Which just did not make sense within setting that Ashley had set up.

Overall, I enjoy Ashley's writing style but her pacing and the way she developed her characters drove me crazy. I think I'll be sticking to just her short stories from now on.
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0821780638, Mass Market Paperback)

Kathy McKenna was sure that the little Midwestern town of Oak Hollow would be isolated enough for safety, but the moment the black-clad stranger walked into her bookstore, she knew she was wrong. Raphael Cordova exudes smouldering power, and his sensual touch draws Kathy into a world of limitless pleasure and unimaginable dangers.Oak Hollow was supposed to be neutral territory for supernatural beings. Instead it has become home to an evil force determined to destroy them - and kill any mortal that gets in the way. As leader of the North American vampires, Raphael has always put duty first, but then, no woman has ever enthralled him the way Kathy does. And as the enemy's terrifying plan is revealed, Raphael's desire could be a fatal distraction for all his kind, and for the woman he has sworn to love forever...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:31 -0400)

"Kathy McKenna was sure that the little Midwestern town of Oak Hollow would be isolated enough for safety, but the moment the black-clad stranger walked into her bookstore, she knew she was wrong... Oak Hollow was supposed to be neutral territory for supernatural beings. Instead it has become home to an evil force determined to destroy them, and kill any mortal who gets in the way. As leader of the North American vampires, Raphael has always put duty first ... As the enemy's terrifying plan is revealed, Raphael's desire could be a fatal distraction for all his kind, and for the woman he has sworn to love forever."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,196,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible