The Nose by Nikolai Gogol

The Nose (1836)

by Nikolai Gogol

Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol (Anonymous user)

English (5)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All (7)
Amusing short story, with moments of true hilarity. I was surprised that Gogol had such a sense of humor. On the other hand, the story lacks any real depth and Gogol makes no attempt whatsoever to explain the absurd happenings.

A recommended read, but do not expect to take away anything of significance. ( )
  la2bkk | Sep 20, 2014 |
Novela corta o cuento largo, rusa o ruso, delirante y del absurdo, totalmente recomendable. Una agradable sorpresa de Gogol. ( )
  david.uchile | Mar 18, 2014 |
Nikolai Gogol's short story "The Nose" is a pretty quick and amusing read. There doesn't appear to be anything too deep about it (which may be the point as compared to most Russian literature.) I'm not a fan of magical realism generally, but when they're this short, I guess it's all right. ( )
  amerynth | Nov 11, 2013 |
Brilliant. What an idea! Someone’s nose is found in some bread. A man wakes up to find his nose gone and begins a desperate search. He discovers it living a life of its own, a life far more privileged in status than it’s owner. Then it returns but there’s a twist.

I loved Gogol’s short story because it contrasts so strongly with every other piece of Russian lit. that I’ve read… and I’ve read a ton. Usually, they’re painstakingly detailed (Tolstoy), deeply psychological (Dostoevsky), heavily political (Solzhenitsyn) or deeply emotional (Goncharov, Pushkin, Turgenev, Lermontov, etc. aka everything else). But this is satire to rival Swift or Cervantes… from the pen of a Russian! Wonderful.

Analyses of the short story that I’ve read online tend towards searching the text for underlying psychological motives, for a political edge, for something, well, Russian about it. But I think Gogol just wanted to send a message to the literary community and say, “Life isn’t all misery and deeply felt meaning, you know!” And I think he said it very well.

The story is bonkers and total fun. There isn’t a single character in it who isn’t farcical, and it doesn’t really have a point (no pun intended). And you, yes you, with that twitch in your right index finger. Step away from the mouse. I know you are dying to comment and tell me what the point is about The Nose. Gogol wrote this for you, to show you that you can just read a story to enjoy it for its own sake without worrying about what it means. If you’ve missed that, go and read it again… go on.

Brilliant. ( )
1 vote arukiyomi | Oct 29, 2011 |
A delightful short story about a man that wakes and finds out his nose has gone and it is walking in town disguised as a State Counselor!... ( )
  FPdC | May 27, 2010 |

Gogol, Nikolaiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berserik, HermanusIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dreiblatt, IanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Timmer, Charles B.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trottenberg, DorotheaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

After disappearing from the Deputy Inspector's face, his nose shows up around town before returning to its proper place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:10 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,809,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible