Demons in the Spring by Joe Meno

Demons in the Spring

by Joe Meno

I can no longer say "I'm not really a fan of short stories but..." I've just read too many great stories lately for that statement to apply.

I absolutely loved this book. My favorite stories were The Unabomber and My Brother and Art School is Boring So, but honestly most of them were fantastic. ( )
  cait815 | Apr 1, 2013 |
Good collection. I reviewed one of the stories as part of a whistle-stop blog tour on Like Fire. ( )
  lisapeet | Mar 31, 2013 |

Earlier this year I was asked by our pals at Akashic Books to contribute a review of a single short story as a promotional project for Joe Meno's 2008 collection Demons in the Spring, recently reissued in paperback form as a fundraiser for the very worthy 826CHICAGO. And that garnered me a review copy of the entire book, which is why I thought I'd get a review of the entire book posted before the end of the year as well, although regular readers can of course already see the problem; that since I'm an unusually analytical reviewer, I have a hard time coming up with much to say about story collections, which to me always seem to consist of some pieces that are great, some that are terrible, and none long enough for me to really sit and sink my teeth into. So instead this is mostly a reminder simply that the book exists, gorgeously illustrated by a series of hipster artists like Charles Burns, Ivan Brunetti, Jay Ryan and Archer Prewitt, and that the profits go to a great organization that deserves your time and money. I'm giving it the standard score I give all story collections here, although will give you ample warning that the quality of individual pieces are all over the board.

Out of 10: 7.5 ( )
  jasonpettus | Dec 8, 2010 |
All it took was to see the spine of this beautifully crafted book of short stories on the library shelf and I was sold. Picking it up and seeing its beautiful design confirmed that is was something special. Hoping the writer was up to the challenge I checked it out and took it home. He did. The tempo and of his style reminded me of the Band King Missile, and the unique characters stay with you long after the book has been closed. ( )
  bellawether | Aug 31, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 193335447X, Hardcover)

Demons in the Spring is a collection of twenty short stories by Joe Meno, author of the smash hits The Boy Detective Fails and Hairstyles of the Damned,  with illustrations by twenty artists from the fine art, graphic art, and comic book worlds--Todd Baxter, Kelsey Brookes, Ivan Brunetti, Charles Burns, Nick Butcher, Steph Davidson, Evan Hecox, Kim Hiorthoy, Paul Hornschemeier, Cody Hudson, Caroline Hwang, kozyndan, Geoff McFetridge, Anders Nilsen, Laura Owens, Archer Prewitt, Jon Resh, Jay Ryan, Souther Salazar, Rachell Sumpter, and Chris Uphues.

Oddly modern moments which occur in the most familiar of public places, from offices to airports to schools to zoos to emergency rooms: a young girl who refuses to go anywhere unless she’s dressed as a ghost; a bank robbery in Stockholm gone terribly wrong; a teacher who’s become enamored with the students in his school’s Model United Nations club; a couple affected by a strange malady—a miniature city which has begun to develop in the young woman’s chest, these inventive stories are hilarious, heartbreaking, and unusual.

Joe Meno is the best-selling author of the novels Hairstyles of the Damned, The Boy Detective Fails, How the Hula Girl Sings, and Tender As Hellfire. He was the winner of the 2003 Nelson Algren Award for short fiction and is a professor of creative writing at Columbia College Chicago.

*A portion of the author's proceeds from the book will go directly to benefit 826 CHICAGO, a nonprofit tutoring center, part of the national organization of tutoring centers with branches in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City, and Seattle.*

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:59 -0400)

Features a collection of short stories about the surreal yet dark lives of individuals considered outcasts, misfits, or peculiar to loved ones or the outside world.

Akashic Books

An edition of this book was published by Akashic Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,155,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible