50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50…

by Dean Karnazes

1197101,247 (3.77)None
Member:JeffV
Title:50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days -- and How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!
Authors:Dean Karnazes
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2009), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Non-fiction, Memoir, Sports, Fitness, Training

50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days -- and How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance! by Dean Karnazes

2009 (2) audiobook (2) autobiography (4) Bay Area (1) BC091612 (3) biography (3) California (1) dpl (2) drinking (1) eating (1) exercise (2) Finished (2) fitness (6) health (3) marathon (6) marathons (3) massage (1) memoir (6) non-fiction (17) read (1) run (1) running (29) self-help (2) sport (1) sports (6) tips (2) to-read (2) training (1) weather (1) wishlist (1)

This book was a fascinating and inpirational book for me just now, as I'm training for my first marathon! Dean Karnazes' running just amazes me!

In addition to the marathon stories, I enjoyed the gray boxes of tips and extra info, as well as the stats about each race at the beginning of each segment. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
At the time that Dean Karnazes was running his fifty marathons in fifty days, Ian and I were preoccupied with new born Harriet. Although he is a local sports celebrity, I have only just heard of him this year promoting his account of those fifty marathons: 50/50.

For the 50/50 challenge, Dean Karnazes ran fifty consecutive marathons, each in a different state. All of the marathons were on official marathon routes, but not all of them were run during the normally scheduled marathons. Those that couldn't be run during the usual marathon were recreated. The recreated runs had different permitting issues and could sometimes only have a dozen or so participants running along with Karnazes.

Karnazes had a team of handlers to take care of the organizational issues of such an undertaking and he had a bus to ride on between the races. It sounds like it was a nightmare to carry off but they did it.

As you can imagine, most of 50/50 is dedicated to the 50 marathons and the 50 different cities visited. Peppered into this runner's geography of the United States are running hints. The hints include training schedules, diet tips and product recommendations.

If you are a runner or know a runner, you will probably enjoy this book. If you're not a runner, you can still enjoy reading about Karnazes's adventure. For the non runners, the book is fairly quick and can be skimmed. There's a lot of repetition as to be expected in a book about fifty marathons. ( )
  pussreboots | Apr 6, 2013 |
In 2006, ultramarathoner Dean Karnazes realized a goal that had been simmering in his mind for a number of years: to run 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days. Originally conceived as an epic family excursion, the realities of pulling it off amidst other family member's obligations made it seem unlikely to ever bear out. When outdoor outfitter The North Face stepped up with a sponsorship offer, suddenly the unlikely was not only possible, but would have the resources needed to pull it off.

50/50 not only contains anecdotes from the more than 7 week journey, but also is loaded with tips useful for runners of all abilities. Most of us will never have Karnazes'
freakish ability to run all day, then do it again the next, and again the day after...etc. Dean was both inspiring and inspired by the people he encountered along the way -- countless individuals who planned to run for just a half and wound up keeping pace to go far beyond what they thought possible. Karnazes rents himself out as a motivational speaker, and while he questions the dubious effect one can have on another if the passion is not already there, he does have a flair for tapping into deep-seated ambition and bringing it to the surface where it can do some good.

Dean Karnases is my exact age, so I am definitely not over-the-hill when it comes to setting new athletic milestones. Running a full marathon has been kicking around the back of my brain, kept there by the simple fact I do not love running like Karnazes does. As far as challenges go, however, it is an attainable one: I've run many half-marathons and occasionally train beyond that distance. The next step I suppose to just sign up and do it. And next year, I think I will. ( )
  JeffV | Aug 24, 2011 |
Dean Karnazes is an inspiration to runners and non-runners alike. This book chronicles his amazing adventure of running 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days in a row. Any serious marathon runner would be happy to run 50 marathons in a lifetime. Dean describes his adventures at every race stop all the trials the good, the bad and the ugly. In addition he mixes in a wealth of training advice, running tips and motivational inspiration all along the way. Obviously running 50 marathons takes more than incredible endurance which Dean has but also you need a little luck and great support from family and friends as well. You will be inspired by reading this book. Dean is a down-to-earth, blue-collar, genuine nice-guy and that becomes readily apparent. What do you do after you run 50 marathons in a row. That's a surprise ending that I win't give away. ( )
  realbigcat | Apr 27, 2010 |
I had to really work with myself not t read forward to see what he said about Cleveland. That in part hampered my liking the book. The other was "How was he going to top Ultramarathon Man?" Answer, he did not. He wrote this book based on the trip and the trip alone. You really began to appreciate the often commented phrase "it is not the journey but the destination." as you read each section. This book is for anyone who has gone past a 10k and wants to do a marathon. Think of it as Runner's World meets Lonely Planet.
P.S. shout out to Dean's wife, the unsung hero in the book. Her segments give new meaning to the word "running widow." ( )
  seki | Mar 20, 2010 |
This book is dedicated to my mom and my dad, who always gave me the liberty to wander freely. May our adventures never end...
On a bright Saturday morning in February 2002, we set out on another road trip - Karnazes family-style.

Dean Karnazes has run 350 continuous miles through three sleepless nights, ordered pizza during long runs, and inspired fans the world over with his adventures. So what does a guy like this do when he wants to face the ultimate test of endurance? He runs 50 marathons in 50 states-- in 50 consecutive days.

With little more than a road map and a caravan packed with fellow runners and a dedicated crew, Dean set off on a tour that took him through a volcanic canyon in Maui in high humidity and 88-degree heat; to an elevation gain of almost 4,000 feet at the Tecumseh Trail Marathon in Bloomington, Indiana; to a severed moose leg found alongside an Anchorage, Alaska trail that compelled him to sprint for safety.

Now in this heart-pounding book, Dean reveals how he pulled off this unfathomable feat with a determination that defied all physical limitations. But Dean goes beyond the story of the Endurance 50 marathons to share his invaluable secrets and advice for athletes of all levels. These are the tips that kept Dean going during the 1,310 miles he covered and 160,000 calories he burned while averaging sub-four-hour marathons and often sleeping fewer than four hours each night. Learn how to:

· Recover more quickly

· Adapt to extreme conditions

· Prevent muscle cramps and overheating

· Pace yourself when you "hit the wall"

· Stay motivated

Packed with practical advice and including training regimens, 50/50 will inspire you no matter what your fitness goal is, whether it's simply walking around the block, running a 10K, or completing yet another Ironman.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:37 -0400)

In the fall of 2006, Dean Karnazes, known as the "Lance Armstrong of the running world," took on the ultimate challenge: running 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 consecutive days. Dean set off in a caravan packed with fellow runners, with nothing more than a roadmap and a determination that defied all physical limitations. This book goes beyond the story of those 50 marathons: it is a firsthand account of what happens when your body defies all limitations, and it is a story of what it's like to push the limits of strength under grueling conditions. This book also reveals Dean's secrets and training tips, including what to do when you hit a wall, how to adapt quickly to drastic terrain, how to get motivated after a really tough day, and diet and exercise tips to improve your own best time. --From publisher description.… (more)

90 wanted2 pay5 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,238,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible