Feed by M. T. Anderson

Feed (2002)

by M. T. Anderson

I found this sci-fi YA dystopian novel all the more frightening because it was so plausible. On the surface, it is the story of a romance between two teens of different backgrounds but the underlying story is in the setting. The disfunction of American society is highlighted by the fact that the main character is oblivious of it, even after circumstance forces it into his (and the readers') attention. ( )
  leslie.98 | Oct 28, 2017 |
Who is MT Anderson? Why is he so insanely talented? Octavian Nothing was probably the best YA historical fiction I’ve ever read, and Feed is the best Sci-Fi Dystopian YA I’ve ever read. They’re completely different books with different styles, voices. It feels like they were written by different authors.

The scary thing about Feed is how close we are to this sort of future. I worked in advertising for many years, and we were always salivating over different ways to market to people, each one a little more invasive.
  KiernanMaire | Oct 25, 2017 |
This was a audio sync book offered in the summer program. I read it now for SF, near future. This is a dystopia book that zeroes in on our increasing use of technology to communicate to the point we fail to communicate, lose empathy and are marketed by corporations so that all we do is consume. The earth is destroyed and the people are oblivious.

There is a lot of swearing and sexual content in the book, which i find hard to swallow in YA but as far as swearing. I think the author is showing that as are use of language deteriorates, all we know how to do is talk in slang and swear words. I get that, but not sure that the message is clear to the young audience that might be reading the book.

The audio aspect of this book featuring the Feed was a great part of the audio.

Rating; 3.37 ( )
  Kristelh | Oct 8, 2017 |
So so good, I loved it! I only take it down one star because the language was so filthy that I can't share it with most of my friends and family in good conscience, and I really would have loved to because the message was so good. ( )
  CatieCurrie4 | Sep 27, 2017 |
Summary: Feed is about a teenager named Titus who lives in a futuristic America where over 70% of Americans have a feed implanted into their brains that is similar to an advanced Internet where all of your desires are available- shopping, music, the best deals, television shows- as well as a private messaging feature, and a GPS. Over spring break to the Moon, which Titus finds utterly boring- he meets Violet. While hanging out with Violet and his friends, Titus is touched by a man from an underground revolutionary group called The Coalition of Pity and his feed, as well as Violet's and his friend's feeds are hacked. The group spends some time in the hospital and are all fixed up- except for Violet. During Violet's recovery, the reader learns about Titus and Violet's world. Titus attends SchoolTM- where he learns about how to use his feed, how to decorate, and other "important" social needs, while VIolet is homeschooled. People everywhere are breaking out in lesions, which become trendy after their favorite sitcom stars get them, and the environment is destroyed (the two wear special suits to go to the "beach" because the water smells so bad), including an artificial sun. However, most of the teenagers ignore the current events (including how the United States is dropping black sludge in South American countries and entire suburbs are just missing), and keep partying- except Violet and her father. When Violet gets sick, we learn that Violet had her feed implanted as a 7 year old, and that her family doesn't endorse the use of feeds, but real reading, writing, and knowledge. Although Violet tries to ignore her feed's wishes trying to get to know her, it all backfires and she confesses to Titus that her feed is broken, and she doesn't have much longer to live. In a last ditch attempt to "feel alive" Violet takes Titus to the mountains, but Titus ends things. Titus starts dating his friend Quendy, and only goes to visit Violet once she is completely incapacitated- no longer able to use her limbs, speak, or control her feed. Titus opens up to Violet for the last time- telling her stories about herself, and snippets of current events.

Personal Connection: I had a hard time getting into this book at first with all of the crazy slang and new-world lingo, but once I was a few chapters in, I was hooked! I loved reading about the futuristic world and the snippets of current events that would come through. It was utopian and scary- but so well written, and I kept thinking of our modern times- what we have done to our environment, how far technology has come, and "fake news"- what will be the cost?

Extras:
-Meet the author/book reading: https://www.teachingbooks.net/book_reading.cgi?id=2963
-Author website: http://mt-anderson.com/
-Interview: http://www.candlewick.com/book_files/0763617261.art.1.pdf
-Boston Globe-Horn Book Awards, 2003
-National Book Award for Young People's Literature, 2002

Application to Teaching: This book wouldn't be suitable in a K-2 classroom, but I could see it being used in a high school classroom- particularly with a focus on utopias, social media, or even politics and "fake news." Although it is a coming of age tale- it is so, so much more! ( )
  alliecipolla | Jul 25, 2017 |
Subversive, vigorously conceived, painfully situated at the juncture where funny crosses into tragic, ''Feed'' demonstrates that young-adult novels are alive and well and able to deliver a jolt. The fact that it is a finalist for the National Book Award is in itself a good sign.

FEED is laugh-out-loud funny in its satire, but at the same time it is absolutely terrifying.

M. T. Andersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beach, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sands, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Twomey, AnneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all those who resist the feed-M.T.A
We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to completely suck.
"Everything we've grown up with the stories on the feed, the games, all of that it's all streamlining our personalities so we're easier to sell to."
You know, I think death is shallower now. It used to be a hole you fell into and kept falling. Now it's just a blank.
But we have entered a new age. We are a new people. It is now the age of oneiric culture, the culture of dreams.

Titus and his friends are typical middle class teens sometime in the far future. They go to School (TM) which is owned by the big corporations. But mostly they listen to their feed, a smart Internet connection directly connected into their brains. The feed knows what they like, it knows what they want and it knows the coolest thing of the moment. The feed markets products to them constantly and also allows them to have private chats with anyone else any time. Then one night Titus meets Violet, a girl a little off the grid. She didn't get a feed until she was 7 and mistrusts the marketing. Amusingly, her father is a professor of dead languages, like Fortran and Basic. Then one night a hacker protester infects their feeds and they learn something about life without the feed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763622591, Paperback)

This brilliantly ironic satire is set in a future world where television and computers are connected directly into people's brains when they are babies. The result is a chillingly recognizable consumer society where empty-headed kids are driven by fashion and shopping and the avid pursuit of silly entertainment--even on trips to Mars and the moon--and by constant customized murmurs in their brains of encouragement to buy, buy, buy.

Anderson gives us this world through the voice of a boy who, like everyone around him, is almost completely inarticulate, whose vocabulary, in a dead-on parody of the worst teenspeak, depends heavily on three words: "like," "thing," and the second most common English obscenity. He's even made this vapid kid a bit sympathetic, as a product of his society who dimly knows something is missing in his head. The details are bitterly funny--the idiotic but wildly popular sitcom called "Oh? Wow! Thing!", the girls who have to retire to the ladies room a couple of times an evening because hairstyles have changed, the hideous lesions on everyone that are not only accepted, but turned into a fashion statement. And the ultimate awfulness is that when we finally meet the boy's parents, they are just as inarticulate and empty-headed as he is, and their solution to their son's problem is to buy him an expensive car.

Although there is a danger that at first teens may see the idea of brain-computers as cool, ultimately they will recognize this as a fascinating novel that says something important about their world. (Ages 14 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:26 -0400)

In a future where most people have computer implants in their heads to control their environment, a boy meets an unusual girl who is in serious trouble.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,449,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible