dismiss

Feed (2002)

by M. T. Anderson

In a future where most people have computer implants in their heads to control their environment, a boy meets an unusual girl who is in serious trouble.

I'm still kind of ruminating on this book...it reminds me a lot of others of its kind; Brave New World, 1984, etc. It was a flood of information, character, and warning, but I could never quite slip into the manner in which it was told. It felt like the book held me at arm's length the whole time, which perhaps was just another facet of its message.

Some parts were very good and very creative; Violet's ruminations, the blips of strange, beautifully and frighteningly worded ads and promises that ended each chapter. Some of the description was wonderful, weird new ways of talking about something, letting the reader see just how different this future world is from ours.

But we never really entered this future world. We get chunks of it, but there is no comprehension to it. I understood the mechanics of the world only in bits and pieces...even the feed was never fully explained. Nor did I ever fully understand the new slang language the characters used (I won't lie, that got really annoying sometimes); of course I deduced the meanings of most words, but most of the time they weren't used in any context that made that easy. The characters were put together in similarly uneven ways, changing the way they acted from chapter to chapter...only Violet was consistant. The characters felt more like symbols of "ideas" than people, which I understand is just the style some authors have.

I also felt that certain things lacked in emotion. The flatness of the first person narration meant that even highly emotional moments felt detached. And when emotion did bleed through from the characters to me, it was mostly sorrow and disgust.

It was a good dystopian novel, a clear and creatively done warning to the people about the dangers of technology and consumerism. It had a couple of those fantastic parts where the message hits you really hard, somewhere deep down. But it also felt like Anderson was trying so hard to deliver his message well, he lost the heart of the people and world of his novel. And sometimes those are the components that really make a good story. ( )
  booksong | Mar 18, 2020 |
Full review to come! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
I wish I'd read this when it first came out. Even more than ten years on, this YA scifi drama is a great reminder of how our experiences, expectations, and decisions are influenced and arguably created by mediated sources. Things like television, advertising, and yes, books.

In particular, there's a scene where Violet wants to get away, she wants to really live her live--she composes her Bucket List and realizes... that it's essentially comprised of movie scenes. Of societal scripts. Go to a restaurant with nice wines and white tablecloths with your love, where you will flirt and blush and clink glasses. Likewise how you plan your next purchases--how many people would've realized they needed a Lint Lizard if it hadn't appeared on television? How many people would honestly, really honestly, worn parachute and harem pants and Uggs and...

Anyway. It's a great read that probably pairs well with [a:Tony Vigorito|236986|Tony Vigorito|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1302530150p2/236986.jpg]'s work--though Feed is much better book (sorry dude, enjoyed your classes but that's my opinion and you can't change my grades retroactively). ( )
  prufrockcoat | Dec 3, 2019 |
Really interesting read, but extremely dark. I kind of just wanted to go curl up somewhere and escape after reading it. I understand, but it was kind of like being bludgeoned with the ideas. ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |
Yet another dystopia piece. Reads like the future of our youngsters. Better in audio. ( )
  Reyesk9 | Sep 23, 2019 |
Subversive, vigorously conceived, painfully situated at the juncture where funny crosses into tragic, ''Feed'' demonstrates that young-adult novels are alive and well and able to deliver a jolt. The fact that it is a finalist for the National Book Award is in itself a good sign.

FEED is laugh-out-loud funny in its satire, but at the same time it is absolutely terrifying.

M. T. Andersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beach, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sands, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Twomey, AnneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“O dear white children casual as birds,

Playing among the ruined languages,

So small beside their large confusing words,

So gay against the greater silences

Of dreadful things you did …”

—from “Anthem for St. Cecilia’s Day,”

W. H. Auden
To all those who resist the feed-M.T.A
We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to completely suck.
"Everything we've grown up with the stories on the feed, the games, all of that it's all streamlining our personalities so we're easier to sell to."
You know, I think death is shallower now. It used to be a hole you fell into and kept falling. Now it's just a blank.
But we have entered a new age. We are a new people. It is now the age of oneiric culture, the culture of dreams.

Titus and his friends are typical middle class teens sometime in the far future. They go to School (TM) which is owned by the big corporations. But mostly they listen to their feed, a smart Internet connection directly connected into their brains. The feed knows what they like, it knows what they want and it knows the coolest thing of the moment. The feed markets products to them constantly and also allows them to have private chats with anyone else any time. Then one night Titus meets Violet, a girl a little off the grid. She didn't get a feed until she was 7 and mistrusts the marketing. Amusingly, her father is a professor of dead languages, like Fortran and Basic. Then one night a hacker protester infects their feeds and they learn something about life without the feed.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,699,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible