Feed by M. T. Anderson

Feed (2002)

by M. T. Anderson

What did I learn from this book? Basically that the world is going to end and it's all because of America's materialistic ways. Yeah, I think that pretty much sums up the tone of the book.

It's really a morality tale, a poorly written Canterbury Tales of the 21st Century.

No one has grown up. We have allowed the media to dictate to us what life should be like (and haven't we done this? Be skinny, be tan (or orange), be rich!), and the media has said that youth is king. So no one has really ever grown up. Which I think explains all the swearing. I'm not so much offended by written swearing as I am audible swearing, so it didn't bother me too much. I just felt like it made everyone seem extremely immature.

There is so much to think about with this book. While it has it's teenage angsty parts - it is a young adult book after all and apparently teenage angst is what sells, I don't remember loving angsty books when I was a teenager, but I was already reading King, Koontz and a myriad of other horror novelist by my teen years - it's not just about being a teenager in the future. There is a real story here, and it's scary as hell.

Children are not procreated anymore, they are grown, ala Aldus Huxley's Brave New World. One of the characters comes from "meg" rich family and is actually the clone of Abe Lincoln. Everyone has a brain implant and receives a bombardment of advertisements for things. Constant barrage of Sham-Wow commercials. Can you imagine that guy being in your head 24/7? But it's not so much annoying as it is just normal for these folks.

It kind of reminds me of a scene from Minority Report (the movie, not the book) when Tom Cruise is running through some tunnel or something and all these ads were shouting his name telling him that he would really like whatever product they were hocking. That's basically what the feed does. It tracks your shopping patterns and things you like and then serves up a constant online/brain infomercial.

The ickiest thing about the feed isn't just the feed, but how the feed and bioware affects the body. People's bodies are breaking down. Everyone is losing their skin. The bioware is eating their skin. Towards the end, the main character's mother has skin so thin that you can see her teeth even though her mouth is closed. But it's okay because lesions are in style. People actually go get lesions so they can be up to date with fads.

It's a sick, sick world. The earth is almost dead (and from the sound of the book, it seems like it's basically America's fault - everything is always America's fault, I'm pretty sick of that). You can go to the beach but you have to wear a biohazard suit to do it. There are farms, but filet mignon farms. No, not fishies swimming around, but the actual muscle, meat, whatever is laid out and you can walk around the "farm" looking at it all laid out and red and icky and stuff.

The adults in the book are so self-centered, and as I said, completely immature. Titus' father is all, like, "Dude, like I'm watching a feed!" The use of the word like is what killed the stars for me. It seems that the author of the book feels we de-evolution to Paris Hiltons.

None of the characters are particularly liked. Not a single one really garners any sympathy. Not even Violet, the one character who is starting to get what the feed is doing to humanity. But she's clingy and towards the end of the book, I felt like I was reading "Twilight" again in which the girl just has no idea how to be herself. I understand that this is exactly what the author was going for (unlike Stephenie Meyers). Violet wanted to be "normal" and never could be. Even though normal is shallow and fatal, it's what she wanted and she wanted Titus to be her knight in shining lesions.

Titus...he's your average teenage boy. Except towards the end he finally, finally gets it but not after a few chapters of him being a complete idiot while his girlfriend lies dying. Although, that's when I did start to feel for him. Here he is just a kid and this chick he's only known for two months has decided that he is going to be her world and no one has ever depended on him or wanted him or needed him like that and what teenage boy could handle that pressure? What teenager? What adult?

At the end, I got the sense that America's days were coming to an end. Finally someone was going to put us out of our misery.

All I could think about while reading this book was how much I depend on technology. I connect with my friends through email and facebook and livejournal before I pick up the phone and call them. Isn't that sad? When I was touring a real farm, I saw a family hanging out together. One of daughters, who couldn't be more than 12 looked so bored but instead of making her just deal with it like my parents made me do, she pulled out her phone and started texting friends right in the middle of the instructions for the game the woman was teaching them. She got picked on though right away. The farm is an old 1900 working farm, hands on. This poor girl, so thin and scrawney, couldn't keep up with the volunteer girl playing the hoop game.

Is this what's going to happen to us? Are we all going to move away from our blackberry's and iphones and have it all just implanted into our brains? I know I'd have to be one of the few people who don't get a feed, but this would mean I'd live a life of near poverty, at least in "Feed"'s world.

It's an interesting book. It's scary too. Definitely a read. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
I wish I could recommend it, but the language is atrocious. I understand why he wrote it with so many f-words, because much of our society has degraded to that level, but it is still tough to read. The ideas and the story as a whole are great however because it is a great glimpse of what life could be. I especially like how no one can even complete a sentence without using "thing." I'm afraid our texting children are on their way! ( )
  searscho | Jan 5, 2017 |
When there is a constant steam of games, shows, chats, and ads feeding directly into your brain, does the world make sense without it? Titus and his friends have never wondered about the streaming until a hacker causes their feeds to malfunction, leaving them stuck on the moon with nothing but their own thoughts for days. If that weren't mind-boggling enough, Titus meets Violet, a girl who has made the conscious decision to fight the feed. This smart, savage satire depicts a future that is unnervingly close to the here and now." -back of book. Eerily accurate portrayal of teen world, just enough (futuristic) slang, shifting friendships, anxiety & angst to feel like today. The setting: a scathing, scary depiction of the future of American culture, produced by mega corporations who not only maintain & bombard the "Feeds" in people's brains to satisfy their every consumer whim and massage their desires for constant buying, but ominous news clips, hints of a slowly devolving political system and threats from the "Global Alliance". As Titus and his friends zip around in their "upcars" we get glimpses - mentions- of the destroyed atmosphere, the "fake"oceans, the gray ash, the air factories while Americans live & shop & work in "bubbles" and under "domes." Adult themes, some sexual situations, and shrewd satirical commentary woven into a budding love story that takes a tragic turn. Great book to use w/older teens to compare to other futuristic dystopian classics like 1984, Brave New World, and -the slang bits- Clockwork Orange. (less) ( )
  BDartnall | Jul 13, 2016 |
This was a great book, beyond the foul language. Honestly, it surprised me with the depth in this story. I won't ruin the story for you, but if you can push aside the odd verbiage, and the foul language, the story will catch you by surprise. It will grab your heart and shake it back into reality. You will walk away from this book with tears streaming your face, your heart pulsating, and you reevaluating life, and the way in which you live it. I highly recommend you feed your mind with the depth of this novel. ( )
  Phoebestone97 | Jun 30, 2016 |
It is not often I chew through a 300 page book in two days but this one made me do it. A funny, tragic romp through a funnish nightmare of a future that seems all to likely. If you think a mash up of Clockwork Orange, 1984 and anything by Terry Pratchett would be worth a go then you will not be disappointed. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Subversive, vigorously conceived, painfully situated at the juncture where funny crosses into tragic, ''Feed'' demonstrates that young-adult novels are alive and well and able to deliver a jolt. The fact that it is a finalist for the National Book Award is in itself a good sign.

FEED is laugh-out-loud funny in its satire, but at the same time it is absolutely terrifying.

M. T. Andersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beach, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sands, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Twomey, AnneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all those who resist the feed-M.T.A
We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to completely suck.
"Everything we've grown up with the stories on the feed, the games, all of that it's all streamlining our personalities so we're easier to sell to."
You know, I think death is shallower now. It used to be a hole you fell into and kept falling. Now it's just a blank.
But we have entered a new age. We are a new people. It is now the age of oneiric culture, the culture of dreams.

Titus and his friends are typical middle class teens sometime in the far future. They go to School (TM) which is owned by the big corporations. But mostly they listen to their feed, a smart Internet connection directly connected into their brains. The feed knows what they like, it knows what they want and it knows the coolest thing of the moment. The feed markets products to them constantly and also allows them to have private chats with anyone else any time. Then one night Titus meets Violet, a girl a little off the grid. She didn't get a feed until she was 7 and mistrusts the marketing. Amusingly, her father is a professor of dead languages, like Fortran and Basic. Then one night a hacker protester infects their feeds and they learn something about life without the feed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763622591, Paperback)

This brilliantly ironic satire is set in a future world where television and computers are connected directly into people's brains when they are babies. The result is a chillingly recognizable consumer society where empty-headed kids are driven by fashion and shopping and the avid pursuit of silly entertainment--even on trips to Mars and the moon--and by constant customized murmurs in their brains of encouragement to buy, buy, buy.

Anderson gives us this world through the voice of a boy who, like everyone around him, is almost completely inarticulate, whose vocabulary, in a dead-on parody of the worst teenspeak, depends heavily on three words: "like," "thing," and the second most common English obscenity. He's even made this vapid kid a bit sympathetic, as a product of his society who dimly knows something is missing in his head. The details are bitterly funny--the idiotic but wildly popular sitcom called "Oh? Wow! Thing!", the girls who have to retire to the ladies room a couple of times an evening because hairstyles have changed, the hideous lesions on everyone that are not only accepted, but turned into a fashion statement. And the ultimate awfulness is that when we finally meet the boy's parents, they are just as inarticulate and empty-headed as he is, and their solution to their son's problem is to buy him an expensive car.

Although there is a danger that at first teens may see the idea of brain-computers as cool, ultimately they will recognize this as a fascinating novel that says something important about their world. (Ages 14 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:26 -0400)

In a future where most people have computer implants in their heads to control their environment, a boy meets an unusual girl who is in serious trouble. So says Titus, a teenager whose ability to read, write, and even think for himself has been almost completely obliterated by his "feed," a transmitter implanted directly into his brain. Feeds are a crucial part of life for Titus and his friends. After all, how else would they know where to party on the moon, how to get bargains at Weatherbee & Crotch, or how to accessorize the mysterious lesions everyone's been getting? But then Titus meets Violet, a girl who cares about what's happening to the world and challenges everything Titus and his friends hold dear. A girl who decides to fight the feed.… (more)

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,213,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible