Feed by M.T. Anderson

Feed (original 2002; edition 2004)

by M.T. Anderson

Member:tophile
Title:Feed
Authors:M.T. Anderson
Info:Candlewick (2004), Paperback, 299 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

Feed by M. T. Anderson (2002)

While the book covered good themes about massive consumerism, I felt that Anderson was trying too hard to sound 'young' and resulted in making the book hard to read.

He creates his own vocabulary for this futuristic dystopia...BUT doesn't give the context for these words that enables readers to fully grasp them.

There were many things that I felt were left up in the air. More than just "Let the reader decide what will happen"...to the extent that I wonder what I just read 200 pages for.

Also, the intense use of profanities? Hardly needed...or admirable. It seemed that there was a per page profanity quota. And I think profanity is ok, but when it is overused, it diminishes the effectiveness of it.

I hope students will like it more. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

I hope students will like it more. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
This is a book about the future and how new technology can affect one's brain. This story is based on the main character Titus, who meets a girl named Violet who is dying. Throughout the story, Titus we so highly influenced by The feed, a future brain simulator, that he let down Violet the girl he had fallen for. This story is a bit more advanced so it will be more suitable for older students.
  cindyofili | Jun 18, 2014 |
Though I applaud Anderson's attempt at predicting the future in pop-culture and slang, I have to say, I wasn't a huge fan of the book. I think that Anderson's warning of capitalism and environmental concerns is an important topic and should be written about, I just didn't think that this was a great way to do it. The prose is hard to follow at times, due to the slang that he creates throughout the book. Overall the message is clear, which I appreciate, but I only gave it 2.5 stars because of the prose and the inability for me to really delve deep into the narration. ( )
  bmmoore | Jun 4, 2014 |
I usually don't get into the futuristic, sci-fi type books, but this one was a huge exception. It's a book that makes you think, whether you like it or not. From the very first chapter, readers will be questioning the limits of technology and whether eventually traveling the moon for spring break will be a boring and familiar experience. Along with the setting, the language itself makes one examine how slang is used in today's communication. Their present day vernacular (meg, unit, bannered, in mal, brag, etc.) takes a while to get into and understand, but then it makes sense and accurately models the type of words we use today. I loved that the book was written in first person. I really got a feel for what life was like in their time--how people speak, think, interact with their feeds, and carry out a "normal" life.
Titus' relationships with his friends show so much about how he lives his life. To him, everything is normal and blah, which is why Violet is so into him. But while Violet is looking to live, Titus just seems to be looking to get by. He doesn't really think for himself, and when he does, he chooses to think the bare minimum. And it's so interesting, because Violet is the one that points out how he is the only one that uses metaphor. The people of this time are completely numb to creative thinking, even though they have the capacity for it.
Anderson captures a possibly exaggerated version of what today's American culture may be headed towards, while expressing the importance of individual thought. His use of irony and comparative language is beautiful throughout the story, and each page had me wanting more. ( )
  ghelmus | Jun 2, 2014 |
Subversive, vigorously conceived, painfully situated at the juncture where funny crosses into tragic, ''Feed'' demonstrates that young-adult novels are alive and well and able to deliver a jolt. The fact that it is a finalist for the National Book Award is in itself a good sign.

FEED is laugh-out-loud funny in its satire, but at the same time it is absolutely terrifying.

M. T. Andersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all those who resist the feed-M.T.A
We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to completely suck.
"Everything we've grown up with the stories on the feed, the games, all of that it's all streamlining our personalities so we're easier to sell to."
You know, I think death is shallower now. It used to be a hole you fell into and kept falling. Now it's just a blank.
But we have entered a new age. We are a new people. It is now the age of oneiric culture, the culture of dreams.

Titus and his friends are typical middle class teens sometime in the far future. They go to School (TM) which is owned by the big corporations. But mostly they listen to their feed, a smart Internet connection directly connected into their brains. The feed knows what they like, it knows what they want and it knows the coolest thing of the moment. The feed markets products to them constantly and also allows them to have private chats with anyone else any time. Then one night Titus meets Violet, a girl a little off the grid. She didn't get a feed until she was 7 and mistrusts the marketing. Amusingly, her father is a professor of dead languages, like Fortran and Basic. Then one night a hacker protester infects their feeds and they learn something about life without the feed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763622591, Paperback)

This brilliantly ironic satire is set in a future world where television and computers are connected directly into people's brains when they are babies. The result is a chillingly recognizable consumer society where empty-headed kids are driven by fashion and shopping and the avid pursuit of silly entertainment--even on trips to Mars and the moon--and by constant customized murmurs in their brains of encouragement to buy, buy, buy.

Anderson gives us this world through the voice of a boy who, like everyone around him, is almost completely inarticulate, whose vocabulary, in a dead-on parody of the worst teenspeak, depends heavily on three words: "like," "thing," and the second most common English obscenity. He's even made this vapid kid a bit sympathetic, as a product of his society who dimly knows something is missing in his head. The details are bitterly funny--the idiotic but wildly popular sitcom called "Oh? Wow! Thing!", the girls who have to retire to the ladies room a couple of times an evening because hairstyles have changed, the hideous lesions on everyone that are not only accepted, but turned into a fashion statement. And the ultimate awfulness is that when we finally meet the boy's parents, they are just as inarticulate and empty-headed as he is, and their solution to their son's problem is to buy him an expensive car.

Although there is a danger that at first teens may see the idea of brain-computers as cool, ultimately they will recognize this as a fascinating novel that says something important about their world. (Ages 14 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:47 -0400)

In a future where most people have computer implants in their heads to control their environment, a boy meets an unusual girl who is in serious trouble. So says Titus, a teenager whose ability to read, write, and even think for himself has been almost completely obliterated by his "feed," a transmitter implanted directly into his brain. Feeds are a crucial part of life for Titus and his friends. After all, how else would they know where to party on the moon, how to get bargains at Weatherbee & Crotch, or how to accessorize the mysterious lesions everyone's been getting? But then Titus meets Violet, a girl who cares about what's happening to the world and challenges everything Titus and his friends hold dear. A girl who decides to fight the feed.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,655,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible