Feed by M.T. Anderson

Feed (original 2002; edition 2012)

by M.T. Anderson

Member:bethlynlucas
Title:Feed
Authors:M.T. Anderson
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:Dystopia, Science Fiction, Satire

Feed by M. T. Anderson (2002)

It is not often I chew through a 300 page book in two days but this one made me do it. A funny, tragic romp through a funnish nightmare of a future that seems all to likely. If you think a mash up of Clockwork Orange, 1984 and anything by Terry Pratchett would be worth a go then you will not be disappointed. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
A brilliant, scathing commentary on our world today: pop culture, youth culture, consumerism, colonialism, environmentalism. Anderson is incredible at creating futuristic pop culture, comprised of trends like "speech tattoos" (in which someone pays to have a word--say, a brand name--inserted into every sentence they speak), bands, fashions. He is equally excellent at believable characters.

The grief and horror of this book are almost overwhelmingly realistic. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Wow! This was an intense YA book. It was both hilarious (really, laugh-out-loud funny) and depressing for its ability to capture a probable future. In the future, most people have "The Feed" implanted in their brains when they are little - it's like having the internet/TV in your brain at all times. People can watch shows, M-chat each other and get bombarded by ads all the time in their minds. The main character meets Violet, a girl who starts resisting the feed. This is a great look at what media literacy means and how we are affected even when we don't think we are. Ultimately this is a pretty downcast story, but an important one. Recommended. And it's a quick read. :)
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Narrated by David Aaron Baker. The audio version presents the futuristic theme very well, in particular hearing the message "feeds" of the individual characters. I wouldn't have gotten the true feel of the book if I had just read it. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
A grim future where technology threatens their lives, throw in some young people in love and a world that is no longer living. Despite the rather nightmarish quality to this America where corporations run the schools and control the “feed” to our brains, there is some comic relief. The jargon aspect to most of the book reminds one of Burgess’ _A Clockwork Orange_, but also lends authenticity to the tale. A satire that will make you ponder. Highly recommended. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Subversive, vigorously conceived, painfully situated at the juncture where funny crosses into tragic, ''Feed'' demonstrates that young-adult novels are alive and well and able to deliver a jolt. The fact that it is a finalist for the National Book Award is in itself a good sign.

FEED is laugh-out-loud funny in its satire, but at the same time it is absolutely terrifying.

M. T. Andersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all those who resist the feed-M.T.A
We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to completely suck.
"Everything we've grown up with the stories on the feed, the games, all of that it's all streamlining our personalities so we're easier to sell to."
You know, I think death is shallower now. It used to be a hole you fell into and kept falling. Now it's just a blank.
But we have entered a new age. We are a new people. It is now the age of oneiric culture, the culture of dreams.

Titus and his friends are typical middle class teens sometime in the far future. They go to School (TM) which is owned by the big corporations. But mostly they listen to their feed, a smart Internet connection directly connected into their brains. The feed knows what they like, it knows what they want and it knows the coolest thing of the moment. The feed markets products to them constantly and also allows them to have private chats with anyone else any time. Then one night Titus meets Violet, a girl a little off the grid. She didn't get a feed until she was 7 and mistrusts the marketing. Amusingly, her father is a professor of dead languages, like Fortran and Basic. Then one night a hacker protester infects their feeds and they learn something about life without the feed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763622591, Paperback)

This brilliantly ironic satire is set in a future world where television and computers are connected directly into people's brains when they are babies. The result is a chillingly recognizable consumer society where empty-headed kids are driven by fashion and shopping and the avid pursuit of silly entertainment--even on trips to Mars and the moon--and by constant customized murmurs in their brains of encouragement to buy, buy, buy.

Anderson gives us this world through the voice of a boy who, like everyone around him, is almost completely inarticulate, whose vocabulary, in a dead-on parody of the worst teenspeak, depends heavily on three words: "like," "thing," and the second most common English obscenity. He's even made this vapid kid a bit sympathetic, as a product of his society who dimly knows something is missing in his head. The details are bitterly funny--the idiotic but wildly popular sitcom called "Oh? Wow! Thing!", the girls who have to retire to the ladies room a couple of times an evening because hairstyles have changed, the hideous lesions on everyone that are not only accepted, but turned into a fashion statement. And the ultimate awfulness is that when we finally meet the boy's parents, they are just as inarticulate and empty-headed as he is, and their solution to their son's problem is to buy him an expensive car.

Although there is a danger that at first teens may see the idea of brain-computers as cool, ultimately they will recognize this as a fascinating novel that says something important about their world. (Ages 14 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:26 -0400)

In a future where most people have computer implants in their heads to control their environment, a boy meets an unusual girl who is in serious trouble. So says Titus, a teenager whose ability to read, write, and even think for himself has been almost completely obliterated by his "feed," a transmitter implanted directly into his brain. Feeds are a crucial part of life for Titus and his friends. After all, how else would they know where to party on the moon, how to get bargains at Weatherbee & Crotch, or how to accessorize the mysterious lesions everyone's been getting? But then Titus meets Violet, a girl who cares about what's happening to the world and challenges everything Titus and his friends hold dear. A girl who decides to fight the feed.… (more)

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,259,747 books! | Top bar: Always visible