If You Come Softly by Jacqueline Woodson

If You Come Softly (1998)

by Jacqueline Woodson

Jeremiah es tiroteado y muere, y Ellie ahora tiene que lidiar con las consecuencias.

Mmmm... suena como un libro alegre.

Me dijeron que es muy bueno, así que voy a arriesgarme a pesar de esa sinopsis
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
I've read almost all of this authors books. She is an incredible writer who deals with difficult subjects without over reaction. Her style is lovely and lyrical, and she is one of my favorite authors.

In this book she writes of two 15 year old young adults who attend a prestigious private school in NYC. Jeremiah is African American; Ellie is Jewish and white. Jeremiah's movie producer father left his mother in pursuit of a younger woman. Ellie's mother abandoned her family twice, thus leaving her with a sense of mistrust of relationships that can last.

As the two form a very significant bond; they face a lot of bumps in the road. Again Woodson writes in a wonderful fashion. While two teenage people falling in love might sound trite, I would recommend you read this to see the magical way in which the reader is pulled into the story.
  Whisper1 | Jan 8, 2014 |
If You Come Softly by Jacqueline Woodson is a great multicultural book to read with sixth-eighth graders. Elisha "Ellie", a white Jewish girl, and Jeremiah "Miah", an African American boy, attend the same prep-school. Ellie and Miah run into each other and can't stop thinking about each other. They have the same class together and their relationship begins to grow. Ellie is scared to tell her parents about him because she is afraid what they will say. Throughout the book Ellie and Miah deal with racism. They endure stare and rude comments from strangers but their love for one another continues to grow. At the end, Ellie decides to tell her parents about Miah but life makes a brutal choice for them.

This is a great book to address the issue of racism with your students. Many students may be able to relate to the characters in this book. They may be afraid to tell their parents something or they may have been a victim of racism. I would use this book as a literature circle. ( )
  mstanley33 | Nov 27, 2013 |
Predictable and cliche. ( )
  bookwoman137 | Apr 18, 2013 |
Two 15 year olds, Jeremiah (Miah) who is black, and Elisha (Ellie) who is white, meet during their first year at an exclusive New York prep school and fall in love. Both teens are also dealing with difficult family situations. Miah's father has left his mother for another woman, and Ellie is trying to fight through her feelings about her mother, who twice abandoned her family for extended periods. The teenagers must also deal with the subtle and not-so-subtle bigotry that they are subject to as a mixed-race couple. Miah and Ellie go about working through their problems, both individually and together, and their relationship continues to blossom, giving readers a shared sense of contentment. ( )
1 vote | MissBoyer3 | Sep 4, 2011 |
For the ones like Jeremiah
The Alexander - Grossman Family
My mother calls to me from the bottom of the stairs, and I pull myself slowly from a deep sleep.
If you come as softly
as the wind within the trees
You may hear what I hear
See what sorrow sees

And if you come I will be silent
Nor speak harsh words to you.
I will not ask you why, now.
Or how, or what you do.

We shall sit here, softly
Beneath two different years
And the rich earth between us
Shall drink our tears
He wondered where that stuff went to, where love went to, how a person could just love someone one day and boom-- the next day love somebody else.

Elisha, a Jew falls in love with Jeremiah who is black. They both entered the relationship knowing the obstacles they were going to face as a result of their different racial backgrounds. Their love was strong enough to stand the hardships they experienced. They each brought out the best in each other and performed very well at school. Jeremiah had courage to introduce Elisha to his mother. However, Elisha was not sure how her parents would react. Her sister had disapproved of her dating a Black when she first announced her crush on Jeremiah. The day she was going to introduce him, he was shot by the police for being in a wrong place at the wrong time (a black man in a white neighborhood).

Miah and Ellie are in love. Theirs is a rare and special first love. But the people around them don’t see it that way. They can only see black and white: Miah is black, Ellie is white, and Jewish; and their love, no matter how real, is too strange and scary for the world they live in.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:12 -0400)

After meeting at their private school in New York, fifteen-year-old Jeremiah, who is black and whose parents are separated, and Ellie, who is white and whose mother has twice abandoned her, fall in love and then try to cope with peoples' reactions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,364,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible