Wages Of Sin by Jenna MacLaine

Wages Of Sin (edition 2008)

by Jenna MacLaine

Rating:****1/2
Tags:Keeper Shelf, Vampire, Paranormal Romance, Signed by author

Wages of Sin by Jenna MacLaine

GIFSoup

EEwwwww. I'm not liking this writing style; it has a choppy stop/go hesitation flow. Not to much of a fan of that. Hopefully it gets better.
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
SONY
  Talthor | Oct 19, 2013 |
I read this when it was self-published, so maybe some of the things that drove me crazy are better now that it's made it through an editor. (Although, when I tried to give it another chance in its revised form, I found too many of the same problems, so I didn't ever finish the re-read).

Anyway, the sheer number of WTF? moments specifically related to the sociocultural context in which it was set made it almost completely nonsensical. (i.e., the world-building was crap. Those characters in that time would not have known that, and they certainly wouldn't have talked about it like that. That = many different things. The one "that" that stands out most in my memory relate to the goddess Kali.)

The characters were... unfinished? It was like watching stick-figure cartoons set against a nonsensical backdrop. I can see how some people might find that enjoyable in a zany sort of way, maybe, but I got the sense that it wasn't deliberate or intentional on the author's part, which may be why it drove me so batty. Or it could be that the characters were so here! there! all over the place I never got a good understanding of why they behaved as they did.

I liked the concept, but the finished product didn't really pull together for me. ( )
  thewalkinggirl | Aug 29, 2011 |
I first read this book when it was self-published in 2006 and loved it. When I heard that Jenna Maclaine got picked up by St. Martin's Press I was so excited. So, naturally I had to read it again.

This book was even better the second time around. After reading this the first time, I really got me interested into reading Historicals again. Ms. Maclaine has created an exciting and fresh twist on witches and vampires. Cin and Michael burn bright from their first meeting and they keep you turning the pages, to see what happens next. My favorite thing though is "The Righteous" themselves. A group of vampires fighting evil, I can't wait to find out more about them and what's next for them. ( )
  vampiregirl76 | Mar 24, 2010 |
I love Buffy as much as the next person, so I don't mind when writers let the series influence their books. I am a little put off when it's transparently done. I mean, here we have two handsome vampires on a redemptive mission against other vampires: one older, burly, dark, and pensive; the other younger, wiry, blond, and frisky. It was distracting, quite frankly, and I spent a few moments rolling my eyes just a little. Moreover, Cin wasn't all that likable. This wasn't a bad book by any means, but nothing encouraged me to keep up with the series. ( )
1 vote TheBooknerd | Mar 9, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312946163, Mass Market Paperback)

Dulcinea Craven descends from a long line of witches, and she has just inherited wild, untrained magical powers that she has no idea how to control. Now a ruthless vampire and an age-old demon are determined to enslave Cin and steal her power for their own. Her only hope is The Righteous, a band of warrior vampires who slay the rogue undead. Among them is Michael, a fierce swordsman who inflames Cin’s most primal hungers. Showing her a sensual pleasure beyond anything in the mortal realm, she must choose between the human existence she has always known, and immortality as a vampire—a new life filled with forbidden urges, dark yearning, and unearthly passions…

Jenna Maclaine's Wages of Sin is “A wonderful blend of fantasy, romance, and intoxicating adventure, wickedly spiced with danger” (Gena Showalter, New York Times bestselling author).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:19 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible