L'année du loup-garou by Stephen King

L'année du loup-garou (original 1983; edition 2012)

by Stephen King, Bernie Wrightson (Illustrator), François Lasquin (Translator)

Member:Patangel
Title:L'année du loup-garou
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Bernie Wrightson (Illustrator), François Lasquin (Translator)
Info:Albin Michel (2012), Broché, 130 pages
Collections:Your library, Lus en 2012
Rating:***
Tags:Fantastique

Cycle Of The Werewolf by Stephen King (1983)

English (42)  French (1)  All languages (43)
'A Signet book.' ( )
  jodiesohl | Jun 29, 2016 |
I love how this story was short and yet gave so much. I also love how they pulled a movie from this without completely destroying the original story. ( )
  PriPri77 | Jun 23, 2016 |
Cycle of the Werewolf is a fun, quick read filled with abrupt chapters which cover a few pages a month (a moon). It's a mixture between graphic novel, children's book, and adult horror story. The writing is simple for any age to understand, but the graphics are quite bloody when they need to be while staying within a publishable, mainstream rating.

It's not a big brainer book; the almost child-like flow is comic pulp style, but each section has more text than imagery and cannot be called a straight graphic novel. Since the story is so spread out, it's choppy, and several of the chapters are told through different points of view, keeping it a little disconnected. The suspense scenes written during some of the kills were wound pretty tightly, and the violence was displayed well enough with the nifty graphics.

It's not like anything else King has written, and from what I understand it was originally meant to be a calendar, where a different part of the story was read each month. There's no way I would have been able to not read the entire calendar when I bought it if it were sold in that form! With the writing style, it doesn't feel like King at all to me. I think this is because he had to keep the writing short, simple, and bare-bones.

While it's an enjoyable enough book to read and fun to own for it's content, illustrations, and who it's by, the story is not a deep werewolf piece. Its format is simple and in many ways it grows dull at times, there is no tension that ties the tense scenes together as well as I would have liked. The little boy was of course the focus character but the ending revelation with him felt slightly anti-climactic.

The graphics are nicely done, pencil like drawings with defined detail but without deep color.

I haven't seen the movie this inspired for years (Silver Bullet) and forgot just about everything about it. This graphic novel inspires me to revisit it. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
This is the first (and so far the only) Stephen King book I've read (I know, for shame). I was expecting it to drag on and be boring, but it was actually interesting. Not very much scary, but I really liked the writing style, and the way the book was divided into short story snippets for every month that left clues as to who the werewolf was. If you're looking to get into King's writing, this is definitely the place to start! ( )
  meowism | May 17, 2016 |
Not sure if I still have a copy. must check
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wrightson, BerniIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the stinking darkness under the barn, he raised his shaggy head. His yellow, stupid eyes gleamed. "I hunger," he whispered. -- Henry Ellender, The Wolf
"Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November, all the rest but the Second have thirty-one, Rain and snow and jolly sun, and the moon grows fat in every one." -- Child's rime
In memory of Davis Grubb, and all the voices of Glory.
Somewhere, high above, the moon shines down, fat and full--but here, in Tarker's Mills, a January blizzard has choked the sky with snow.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

PUBLISHER'S NOTE This novel is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, , events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

NAL BOOKS ARE AVAILABLE AT QUANTITY DISCOUNTS WHEN USED TO PROMOTE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES. FOR INFORMATION PLEASE WRITE TO PREMIUM MARKETING DIVISION, NEW AMERICAN LIBRARY, 1633 BROADWAY, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10019.

Cycle of the Werewolf was published previously in a limited hardcover edition.

First Signet Printing, April, 1985

Printing line: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

The isolated Maine village of Tarker Mills is terrorized by the horrifying bloodthirsty creature stalking its inhabitants at the time of the full moon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,925,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible