L'année du loup-garou by Stephen King

L'année du loup-garou (original 1983; edition 2012)

by Stephen King, Bernie Wrightson (Illustrator), François Lasquin (Translator)

Member:Patangel
Title:L'année du loup-garou
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Bernie Wrightson (Illustrator), François Lasquin (Translator)
Info:Albin Michel (2012), Broché, 130 pages
Collections:Your library, Lus en 2012
Rating:***
Tags:Fantastique

Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King (1983)

Recently added bykintonk, e-b, jlsimon7, owlgirl, private library, TW_Spencer, Edward.Lorn, CaitlinJ42, littlebirdreads

English (33)  French (2)  All languages (35)
Let's get a few things out of the way: First, this is a classic. Second, there's only one version of this book that counts, and that's Plume's 1983 trade paperback. Thirdly, the film adaptation, "Silver Bullet" (written for the screen by Stephen King), is a deeper overall experience: better character development, cooler kills, the inclusion of that most-epic motorcycle/wheelchair every 80's kid wanted whether they were handicapped or not, and mo' frakkin' Corey Haim partnering up with crazy-as-balls Gary Busey. Pure epicosity.

Even though the film is an overall better experience, it does not detract from my enjoyment of the novella. To quote King: "Movie and books are like apples and oranges. They both taste delicious in their own ways." I will admit, though, my love for this book has a great deal to do with Bernie Wrightson's artwork. Of course, we wouldn't have Wrightson's fantastic drawings without King's story, and the two go together like sex and heroin.

I was three when the original Plume paperback came out, but I remember finding this on my mother's bookshelves some years later (perhaps around the age of five or six). I mistook it for a comic, and decided to flip through to find all the artwork. The most graphic of these pictures for me at the time was the slaughtered pigs. Forget the cop who has his face torn off, or the decapitated body atop the cab of the Peterbilt, the one who's being feasted upon by the titular hulking beast. The pigs' dismembered corpses upset me to the point that I started crying. Needless to say, Mom put the book up a little higher on the shelving after that.

I reread it at least twice a year, and it remains one of my favorite King stories.

In summation: Cycle of the Werewolf is a great place to start if you're new to King. If you're an old fan of his, you've probably already read this and agree with everything I've said in this review. Highly recommended for fans of graphic novels, werewolves, and bloody good times. ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
It was a treat to read a nice short book by Mr. King, who is notorious to having 700 to 800 pages with his books. The premise is there is a werewolf attacking a small town in Maine and a young boy figures out who it is and how to kill it. I like that the chapters were broken into months and of course the illustrations were amazing, usual Stephen King style.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/79883.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Sep 24, 2014 |
Uno de los primeros trabajos de STephen King "EL Ciclo Del Hombre Lobo", es un libro corto,facil de leer y entretenido. Quizas no sea el mejor,pero es uno muy bueno para comenzar a leer mas historias de este excelente escritor. ( )
  Gaby81 | Aug 28, 2014 |
Stephen King is not at his best for most of the chapters of Cycle of the Werewolf. Aside from the ones for July and December, they're pretty so-so. Each month of the year opens with a beautiful double-page pen-and-ink illustration. Each closes with a pen-and-ink drawing that takes up half or less of a page. Each month also boasts a full-color illustration. The werewolf is present in almost all of them, usually going after the victim(s)-of-the-month. The illustrations alone make the book worth owning. One character, a 10-year-old boy, may be in a wheelchair, but he's the smartest guy in town. I really enjoyed his dealings with the werewolf. (The werewolf's rationalizations did not impress me.) The possible reason the werewolf became a werewolf was not one I recall encountering before. ( )
  JalenV | Jun 18, 2014 |
Somehow manages to be both overwritten and underwritten.
  amanda4242 | Dec 23, 2013 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wrightson, BerniIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the stinking darkness under the barn, he raised his shaggy head. His yellow, stupid eyes gleamed. "I hunger," he whispered. -- Henry Ellender, The Wolf
"Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November, all the rest but the Second have thirty-one, Rain and snow and jolly sun, and the moon grows fat in every one." -- Child's rime
In memory of Davis Grubb, and all the voices of Glory.
Somewhere, high above, the moon shines down, fat and full--but here, in Tarker's Mills, a January blizzard has choked the sky with snow.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

PUBLISHER'S NOTE This novel is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, , events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

NAL BOOKS ARE AVAILABLE AT QUANTITY DISCOUNTS WHEN USED TO PROMOTE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES. FOR INFORMATION PLEASE WRITE TO PREMIUM MARKETING DIVISION, NEW AMERICAN LIBRARY, 1633 BROADWAY, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10019.

Cycle of the Werewolf was published previously in a limited hardcover edition.

First Signet Printing, April, 1985

Printing line: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

The isolated Maine village of Tarker Mills is terrorized by the horrifying bloodthirsty creature stalking its inhabitants at the time of the full moon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,153,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible