L'année du loup-garou by Stephen King

L'année du loup-garou (original 1983; edition 2012)

by Stephen King, Bernie Wrightson (Illustrator), François Lasquin (Translator)

Member:Patangel
Title:L'année du loup-garou
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Bernie Wrightson (Illustrator), François Lasquin (Translator)
Info:Albin Michel (2012), Broché, 130 pages
Collections:Your library, Lus en 2012
Rating:***
Tags:Fantastique

Cycle Of The Werewolf by Stephen King (1983)

English (38)  French (3)  All languages (41)
Not sure if I still have a copy. must check
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
Kind of a non read. I don't really understand its purpose. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Forgettable, but yeah it passed the time and had pictures. ( )
  Lukerik | Nov 17, 2015 |
this did improve as it went along but it starts out absolutely terribly. i do like the idea - the whole calendar thing, the short stories paired with art, etc - and i'm already predisposed to not like it because it's about a werewolf, but that's not my problem with it. there is no character development at all until we're about halfway through, and then only very little. this is what he excels at, and is what makes his books as good as they are. so when it's lacking, the entire book is lacking. there were moments and lines of his good writing, and i like when he makes the "weak kid" the hero, which is why this gets more than .5 star, but it just wasn't very good. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Aug 4, 2015 |
The story itself wound up being rather ho-hum to me, but part of that may be due to the fact that I’m rather hard to shock these days.

My favorite part of the book is that it opens with a note from King stating that astute readers will notice that the full moon couldn’t possibly have fallen on all of the big holidays he has it fall on, but that he’s taken artistic license to make it do so. The passage reads like it has a wink at the end, and I like that King assertively addresses what could bother some readers or be a controversy and acknowledges that his facts are wrong, but he did it for artistic reasons. Personally, I’m not a fan of books that take artistic licenses, but if you’re going to, this is the way to do it. Acknowledge it (don’t hide from it) and move on.

This feels like an early Stephen King book. The usual small town New England stock characters are there, but they’re not fully fleshed-out. There’s even a spunky kid in a wheelchair who reminds me of an earlier version of Susannah from The Dark Tower series (the book about Susannah was first published in 2004). The stock, rather two-dimensional characters work in this book, since the storytelling approach is basically one of folklore. We don’t need to know much more about these characters than we see on the surface, and that’s fine.

Each chapter is a different month in the year, and they sort of feel like connected short stories. By the last half of the year, the reader starts to know what’s going on, and the “short stories” become even more connected.

Fans of an underdog hero will enjoy who ends up battling the werewolf plaguing the town, as will those who enjoy seeing the trope of a trusted citizen being someone who should not be trusted. (That’s as much as I can say without being too spoilery).

This all sounds rather positive, so why did I feel ho-hum about it? The tension building didn’t work for me. Nothing that happened really scared me. The character in the wheelchair feels like a less bad-ass version of Susannah, and what I would want would be Susannah. This is perhaps unfair of me to say, since Susannah came about further down the line, but I do think it points to how King’s writing improved with time (as does everyone’s). I also just found the villain to be rather expected and cliche, although I’m sure it wasn’t when the book first came out. In general, this book just doesn’t feel like it aged particularly well, especially when compared to other older King books.

Overall, if a reader is looking for a quick, beautifully illustrated folklore style retelling of a werewolf story, they will enjoy this book. Those looking for high levels of tension or gore or in-depth character development will want to give it a pass.

Check out my full review. ( )
  gaialover | Jun 27, 2015 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wrightson, BerniIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the stinking darkness under the barn, he raised his shaggy head. His yellow, stupid eyes gleamed. "I hunger," he whispered. -- Henry Ellender, The Wolf
"Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November, all the rest but the Second have thirty-one, Rain and snow and jolly sun, and the moon grows fat in every one." -- Child's rime
In memory of Davis Grubb, and all the voices of Glory.
Somewhere, high above, the moon shines down, fat and full--but here, in Tarker's Mills, a January blizzard has choked the sky with snow.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

PUBLISHER'S NOTE This novel is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, , events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

NAL BOOKS ARE AVAILABLE AT QUANTITY DISCOUNTS WHEN USED TO PROMOTE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES. FOR INFORMATION PLEASE WRITE TO PREMIUM MARKETING DIVISION, NEW AMERICAN LIBRARY, 1633 BROADWAY, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10019.

Cycle of the Werewolf was published previously in a limited hardcover edition.

First Signet Printing, April, 1985

Printing line: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

The isolated Maine village of Tarker Mills is terrorized by the horrifying bloodthirsty creature stalking its inhabitants at the time of the full moon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,260,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible