L'année du loup-garou by Stephen King

L'année du loup-garou (original 1983; edition 2012)

by Stephen King, Bernie Wrightson (Illustrator), François Lasquin (Translator)

Member:Patangel
Title:L'année du loup-garou
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Bernie Wrightson (Illustrator), François Lasquin (Translator)
Info:Albin Michel (2012), Broché, 130 pages
Collections:Your library, Lus en 2012
Rating:***
Tags:Fantastique

Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King (1983)

English (35)  French (3)  All languages (38)
The story itself wound up being rather ho-hum to me, but part of that may be due to the fact that I’m rather hard to shock these days.

My favorite part of the book is that it opens with a note from King stating that astute readers will notice that the full moon couldn’t possibly have fallen on all of the big holidays he has it fall on, but that he’s taken artistic license to make it do so. The passage reads like it has a wink at the end, and I like that King assertively addresses what could bother some readers or be a controversy and acknowledges that his facts are wrong, but he did it for artistic reasons. Personally, I’m not a fan of books that take artistic licenses, but if you’re going to, this is the way to do it. Acknowledge it (don’t hide from it) and move on.

This feels like an early Stephen King book. The usual small town New England stock characters are there, but they’re not fully fleshed-out. There’s even a spunky kid in a wheelchair who reminds me of an earlier version of Susannah from The Dark Tower series (the book about Susannah was first published in 2004). The stock, rather two-dimensional characters work in this book, since the storytelling approach is basically one of folklore. We don’t need to know much more about these characters than we see on the surface, and that’s fine.

Each chapter is a different month in the year, and they sort of feel like connected short stories. By the last half of the year, the reader starts to know what’s going on, and the “short stories” become even more connected.

Fans of an underdog hero will enjoy who ends up battling the werewolf plaguing the town, as will those who enjoy seeing the trope of a trusted citizen being someone who should not be trusted. (That’s as much as I can say without being too spoilery).

This all sounds rather positive, so why did I feel ho-hum about it? The tension building didn’t work for me. Nothing that happened really scared me. The character in the wheelchair feels like a less bad-ass version of Susannah, and what I would want would be Susannah. This is perhaps unfair of me to say, since Susannah came about further down the line, but I do think it points to how King’s writing improved with time (as does everyone’s). I also just found the villain to be rather expected and cliche, although I’m sure it wasn’t when the book first came out. In general, this book just doesn’t feel like it aged particularly well, especially when compared to other older King books.

Overall, if a reader is looking for a quick, beautifully illustrated folklore style retelling of a werewolf story, they will enjoy this book. Those looking for high levels of tension or gore or in-depth character development will want to give it a pass.

Check out my full review. ( )
  gaialover | Jun 27, 2015 |
I am (re)reading King in chronological order and he wrote a few books in 1983 which I'm not actually being particular to exact order I read them. This next book offers up another unique piece of work. Not just happy polishing off novel after novel, King has now shown us that he is a man of many talents and his readers can expect the unexpected. This book or some may call it a novella, is an illustrated werewolf story which started out as an idea for a calendar but grew into a book with 12 chapters, one for each month. This is classic King horror. It involves a large cast of characters yet while each set mainly only lasts for one chapter King works his magic bringing them to life as fully realized people. The main character is King's classic outsider youth, a boy in a wheelchair. The book has some good moments, a bit of gore, a great cast of characters and careful readers can figure out who the werewolf is before the reveal. The book is profusely illustrated by Berni Wrightson, returning again from Creepshow, in both colour and black and white. A decent entry in King's cannon. The book was published in two other formats: first as a limited edition hardcover and then simultaneously with the cheesy movie version as a paperback entitled Silver Bullet. I remember the movie being cheesy when it came out, but now I've just looked it up and notice the stars are Corey Haim & Gary Busey! I think that's worth a rewatch to see those two alone! LOL

Looking for connections to his previous books and the King Universe we are first set down in Tarker's Mills, Maine which gives a familiar feeling being back in King's Maine. Tarker's Mills sounded familiar to me, but I couldn't place it and didn't find any connections to the other books so far. So I did a little research and it turns out Tarker Mills is part of King's Universe, but this is its first appearance. There is one connection to a previously published work to this date. The GS & WM railway line is mentioned here and this is the same train line featured in "The Body". ( )
  ElizaJane | May 4, 2015 |
Let's get a few things out of the way: First, this is a classic. Second, there's only one version of this book that counts, and that's Plume's 1983 trade paperback. Thirdly, the film adaptation, "Silver Bullet" (written for the screen by Stephen King), is a deeper overall experience: better character development, cooler kills, the inclusion of that most-epic motorcycle/wheelchair every 80's kid wanted whether they were handicapped or not, and mo' frakkin' Corey Haim partnering up with crazy-as-balls Gary Busey. Pure epicosity.

Even though the film is an overall better experience, it does not detract from my enjoyment of the novella. To quote King: "Movie and books are like apples and oranges. They both taste delicious in their own ways." I will admit, though, my love for this book has a great deal to do with Bernie Wrightson's artwork. Of course, we wouldn't have Wrightson's fantastic drawings without King's story, and the two go together like sex and heroin.

I was three when the original Plume paperback came out, but I remember finding this on my mother's bookshelves some years later (perhaps around the age of five or six). I mistook it for a comic, and decided to flip through to find all the artwork. The most graphic of these pictures for me at the time was the slaughtered pigs. Forget the cop who has his face torn off, or the decapitated body atop the cab of the Peterbilt, the one who's being feasted upon by the titular hulking beast. The pigs' dismembered corpses upset me to the point that I started crying. Needless to say, Mom put the book up a little higher on the shelving after that.

I reread it at least twice a year, and it remains one of my favorite King stories.

In summation: Cycle of the Werewolf is a great place to start if you're new to King. If you're an old fan of his, you've probably already read this and agree with everything I've said in this review. Highly recommended for fans of graphic novels, werewolves, and bloody good times. ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
It was a treat to read a nice short book by Mr. King, who is notorious to having 700 to 800 pages with his books. The premise is there is a werewolf attacking a small town in Maine and a young boy figures out who it is and how to kill it. I like that the chapters were broken into months and of course the illustrations were amazing, usual Stephen King style.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/79883.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Sep 24, 2014 |
Uno de los primeros trabajos de STephen King "EL Ciclo Del Hombre Lobo", es un libro corto,facil de leer y entretenido. Quizas no sea el mejor,pero es uno muy bueno para comenzar a leer mas historias de este excelente escritor. ( )
  Gaby81 | Aug 28, 2014 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wrightson, BerniIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the stinking darkness under the barn, he raised his shaggy head. His yellow, stupid eyes gleamed. "I hunger," he whispered. -- Henry Ellender, The Wolf
"Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November, all the rest but the Second have thirty-one, Rain and snow and jolly sun, and the moon grows fat in every one." -- Child's rime
In memory of Davis Grubb, and all the voices of Glory.
Somewhere, high above, the moon shines down, fat and full--but here, in Tarker's Mills, a January blizzard has choked the sky with snow.