To the Brink (The Bodyguards, Book 3) by…

To the Brink (The Bodyguards, Book 3) (edition 2005)

by Cindy Gerard

Member:libraryladyanne
Title:To the Brink (The Bodyguards, Book 3)
Authors:Cindy Gerard
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages

To the Brink by Cindy Gerard

To The Brink
4 Stars

When Darcy Prescott inadvertently learns a dangerous secret related to her diplomatic work, she knows the only person she can turn to for help is her ex-husband, former Special Forces, Ethan Garrett. Although their whirlwind romance ended in divorce, Ethan's love for Darcy is as intense as ever, and he does not hesitate to mount a rescue after realizing that Darcy has disappeared without a trace into the jungles of Venezuela. Can he save her before it is too late?

The plot transitions between the past detailing Darcy and Ethan's initial meeting and romance, and the present focusing on Darcy's kidnapping and Ethan's rescue. While this format has the potential to undermine a story, in this instance it is very effective as the reader is quickly immersed into the intensity of their prior relationship, which increases the excitement for their eventual reunion.

While Darcy and Ethan's chemistry is intense and their characters very appealing both as individuals and as a couple, the suspense elements are weaker mainly due to the overuse of military jargon. Nevertheless, the rescue sections are exciting (if somewhat overly descriptive), and realistic.

The secondary romance involving the unexpected and emotionally fraught attraction between Ethan's brother, Dallas, and Darcy's fellow captive, Amy, is another highlight of the book. It will be difficult to wait until book #6 for their story.

In sum, To The Brink is the best installment in Gerard's series thus far. Although the books have been more miss than hit for me, this story has renewed my motivation for continuing.
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I'll say it up front: I'm not a big fan of the hostage/traipsing through the rainforest thing, especially after reading several books with this scenario poorly done. But once again, Cindy Gerard came through for me and I couldn't put it down. (And it helps, of course, that as much as I *don't* like that particular trope, I *do* like the whole brothers/family one.) I loved Darcy, loved Ethan, and loved the two of them together. (And am looking forward to reading the Dallas/Amy story when that time comes.) ( )
  jendoyle2000 | Sep 1, 2014 |

Great book! Couldn't put it down! So suspenseful! Love Ethan and the whole Garrett fam! ( )
  Author_AndriaLarge | Sep 1, 2013 |
3.5 stars ( )
  Kaetrin | Aug 13, 2012 |
When I bought this book. I have only read a few pages and didn't have a chance to get back to it. I need to get back to it, but later.
  Archieve | May 5, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312990936, Mass Market Paperback)

Working on highly sensitive diplomatic affairs, Darcy Prescott is a natural target for terrorist kidnappers. But when she's mysteriously plucked off a street in Manila one sultry night, Darcy's disappearance isn't what it seems…

The moment Special Forces soldier Ethan Garrett laid eyes on Darcy, he knew she was the woman he would marry--and he did. But when their marriage fell apart, Ethan never really recovered. Now a highly paid bodyguard, Ethan quickly slips back into combat mode when he learns of Darcy's disappearance and calls in old favors to assemble a rogue rescue team….

Tracking Darcy all the way to the jungles of the Philippines, Ethan knows every move he makes could mean the difference between life and death. His love for Darcy burns stronger than ever. But when he learns the true reason for her abduction, it may be too late to save her--or himself…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:28 -0400)

Former Special Forces operative-turned-bodyguard Ethan Garrett risks everything to find his missing ex-wife, Darcy Prescott, a specialist working on sensitive diplomatic affairs, after she mysteriously vanishes off the streets of Miami, following a trail of clues that take him into the dangerous heart of the Philippines jungles.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,454,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible