Mary Anne by Daphne du Maurier

Mary Anne (1954)

by Daphne du Maurier

Recently added byprivate library, danny_liebig, phantomswife, BeyondEdenRock, JMLC, GreatAuntCharlotte, irkthepurist, jas16, Grier
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg
    Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray (mambo_taxi)
    mambo_taxi: Vanity Fair is definitely the more enjoyable romp with an equally colorful heroine.
    Bare Nell by Leslie Thomas (Booksloth)

English (17)  French (1)  All languages (18)
Du Maurier writes (wrote) beautifully. Mary Anne is fully realised, but in a way it's a pity that she was not only a real person, but a great-great-grandmother of Du Maurier. The story fizzles out a bit after the great court case, which would probably not have happened had Mary Anne been a fictional character.
I read this many years ago, and very much enjoyed re-reading it. ( )
  ClareRhoden | Nov 4, 2017 |
My first Daphne du Maurier book, and I did experience some trouble getting trough it. But I loved the story and how it evolved. ( )
  lisa.isselee | Nov 28, 2015 |
  lisa.isselee | Sep 26, 2014 |
  cherryblossommj | May 28, 2013 |
Although I would have previously sworn that it was impossible for du Maurier to write a bad book, this one comes periously close and although it had all the right elements; good story, fascinating real life people, great period setting, royalty, scandal etc it just never really came together for me. It felt disjointed, uneven, lacking in emotion and with a lacklustre, prosaic feel that du Mauriers other books just don't have. I missed her lyrical descriptions. I also struggled to sympathise with Mary Anne, and by the end I positively disliked her, not caring one bit about her fate. Disappointingly, the narrative was a strange and uncomfortable mix of historical fiction and biography which never quite reached it's potential and in the end left me wanting more of both.

However, this is Daphne du Maurier we're talking about so even a 'meh' book by her is better than a lot of others out there. Just don't expect another Rebecca or Frenchman's Creek or My Cousin Rachel etc.

Buddy read with Kim. ( )

my great-great grandmother
died Boulogne, June 21st, 1852
and to
GERTRUDE LAWRENCE
who was to have acted the part
on the stage
died New York, September 6th 1952
In memory of both
Introduction

Mary Anne Clarke, the notorious mistress of the Duke of York, had much in common with her descendant, Daphne du Maurier.
Years later, when she had gone and was no longer part of their lives, the thing they remembered about her was her smile.

VIRAGO EDITION:

A vivid portrait of overweening ambition, Mary Anne is set during the Napoleonic Wars and based on du Maurier's own great-great-grandmother.
A vivid portrait of overweening ambition, MARY ANNE is set during the Napoleonic Wars and based on du Maurier's own great-great-grandmother. In Regency London, the only way for a woman to succeed is to beat men at their own game. So when Mary Anne Clarke seeks an escape from her squalid surroundings in Bowling Inn Alley, she ventures first into the scurrilous world of the pamphleteers. Her personal charms are such, however, that before long she comes to the notice of the Duke of York.With her taste for luxury and power, Mary Anne, now a royal mistress, must aim higher. Her lofty connections allow her to establish a thriving trade in military commissions, provoking a scandal that rocks the government - and brings personal disgrace.

"An ambitious, stunning, and seductive young woman, Mary Anne find the single most rewarding way she can rise above her miserable cockney world: she will become the mistress to a royal duke. In doing so, she provokes a scandal that rocks Regency England. Based on the true story of one of du Maurier's own distant relatives, Mary Anne's love of money and the men who spend it embroil her in risks that threaten her very existence"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,803,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible