Eat Me by Kenny Shopsin

Info:
Collections:Other
Tags:various, cookbooks, restaurant

Eat Me: The Food and Philosophy of Kenny Shopsin by Kenny Shopsin

The Tummy Trilogy by Calvin Trillin (sturlington)
    sturlington: Calvin Trillin ate in Shopsin's frequently and is mentioned several times in the book.

I really love to cook but I hate certain things that come along with it. Like flatten your foot if you dropped it cookbooks that tout the same old same old rhetoric that your grandma's grandma was reading once upon a time. Which is a drawn out way of saying that this particular book is something I picked up a couple years back because everyone was saying how different it was from the above mentioned cookbook trojan horses I'd come across all too often. It's been sitting in my stack of cookbooks ever since because I was happy believing it was different without giving myself the chance to find out otherwise.

If it hadn't been for a certain challenge in a certain group (Read a book about cooking), it would still be lurking in the corner of my kitchen. Alas alack, it was picked up and read and I'm happy to say that the members of that "everyone" were pretty spot on and I should have read the damn thing a lot sooner. It's funny and it makes you hungry for things you could actually see yourself cooking, both necessary reqs in my mind for a cookbook. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
Kenny Shopsin's cookbook and philosophy of life and cooking are something to experience! Kenny is humorous and blunt, explaining how and why he cooks the way he does. There are some awesome recipes in here and descriptions of how his restaurant works... by his rules.
  laurashrti | Nov 13, 2011 |
Rarely you come across a cookbook that you have to sit down and read all the way through, including the recipes. This is such a cookbook. Kenny Shopsin has a wonderfully original approach to cooking and to life. The epilogue alone -- The Art of Staying Small -- is a great reflection on how to live a fulfilling life doing what you love. ( )
  sturlington | Dec 3, 2010 |
I read the Trillin article on Shopsin's back in 2002, so I bought this as soon as I knew it existed. And it was pretty much what I expected, in a good way. There's the attitude, of course. And this seemed like a particularly good book for non-cooks -- it's all about throwing really random stuff together based on what's handy. Including leftovers. Nothing intimidating. Except for the burgers, I guess. I avoid cooking techniques that involve flame. Not sure chili and marinara cross as many boundaries as he thinks, but it's worth trying. ( )
  kristenn | Dec 29, 2009 |
Kenny Shopsin makes the simple case for doing work well, surrounded by people you love. He doesn't get anywhere - he throws people out of his restaurant who piss him off and avoids success as much as possible - but his joy in small things like mastering the perfect pancake is profound. A funny and ultimately moving book with recipes and humor. ( )
  dlgoldie | Dec 21, 2009 |
If there's anyone on your list who works as a professional cook, this is the perfect gift for them. Just getting to read about a cook who routinely throws customers out of his place because they deviate from the prescribed "rules" of ordering or don't show enough imagination or aren't the kind of people the cook enjoys cooking for is enough reason to revel in this cookbook memoir.

Shopsin's memoir is like the man: loud, opinionated, warm, exuberant and absolutely delightful. He had me when he revealed that he'd named one of his dishes solely to piss off Andrea Dworkin ("she's probably never heard of this dish"), but I really caught fire when I came to section on pancakes.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Oct 16, 2008)

This book is dedicated to EVE

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307264939, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2008: The eccentric and engaging food-lit manifesto, Eat Me: The Food and Philosophy of Kenny Shopsin, collects the wisdom, rants, and recipes of New York's most legendarily cranky, publicity-hating short-order cook. The foul-mouthed genius of Kenny Shopsin has been captured before, most notably in Calvin Trillin's wonderful New Yorker profile and the documentary I Like Killing Flies, but Eat Me gives a from-the-cook's-mouth take on life behind the counter, with the layout of a quirky, illustrated textbook. Chapter titles like "Selling Water, or the Secret of the Restaurant Business" and "The Story of Shopsin's Turkey, or Why I Hate the Health Department" should give you a taste of what's in store. Formerly located in Greenwich Village, Shopin's now sets up camp at Stall No. 16 at the Essex Street Market, where you'll find dozens of soups, sandwiches, burgers, milk shakes, breakfast plates, and pancakes (from Plain to White Mint Chocolate Chip), along with original comfort-food classics like Blisters on My Sisters (tortillas, cheese, fried eggs, beans, and rice), gracing the crammed 900-item menu. Getting tossed out of Shopsin's (for whatever offense) has taken on badge-of-honor status among diners--the culinary equivalent of being on the business end of a Don Rickles zinger. Reading Eat Me feels like the next best thing. --Brad Thomas Parsons

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:04 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,131,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible