Beautiful Lies by Lisa Unger

Beautiful Lies (2006)

by Lisa Unger

Series: Ridley Jones (book 1)

(4) 2006 (7) 2007 (5) 2008 (5) adoption (8) audio (4) crime (9) ebook (11) family (8) fiction (86) kidnapping (5) library (4) lies (5) mystery (90) Mystery/Thriller (5) New York City (12) nook (8) novel (5) own (5) read (21) read in 2006 (4) read in 2007 (4) Ridley Jones (5) romance (4) series (5) suspense (38) thriller (51) to-read (29) unread (5) women journalists (5)

Awesome book! What a thriller and a good story line-AND a local author as well! ( )
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
When Ridley Jones does a good deed and ends up in the news, she gets a package in the mail that turns her life upside-down. There are pictures, along with a note: “Are you my daughter?” Along with the new guy, Jake, who just moved in upstairs, Ridley tries to figure out what is going on.

This was a different sort of thriller, I thought. Yes, there were guns and murders and such, but also lies and secrets to figure out. I guess most thrillers have that, too, but this one had different kinds of secrets and lies. It made it very interesting and suspenseful for me. I wanted to know what would happen, what had happened, and what was going on. I liked the main character, Ridley, and felt badly for her about some of the choices she had to make. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 5, 2014 |
I have to say that I am a Lisa Unger fan. She writes solid stories, with well-developed characters. In this novel, a young woman has her whole life turned upside down while becoming involved in attempting to solve the mystery of her birth and early childhood. Solid writing, but sometimes gets a bit bogged down in the minutiae and unnecessary details. Overall, a very nice read. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Apr 5, 2014 |
Woman saves the life of a small boy and her parentage is called into question. Mob connections. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Spoilers ahoy!

Another couple of thrillers with one, long story (Sliver of Truth is the sequel to Beautiful Lies). A bit more uneven than the last two like these I read and also a bit outside the bounds of reality. Sure, they’re thrillers, but the protagonist is a flake and makes some pretty stupid decisions. Also, the conspiracy and criminal activity goes pretty deep and wide, but of course never too close to home. Unlikely enemies and unlikely friends abound. I stuck with her for two books, but probably won’t read a third if one ever gets published.

Ridley Jones has had a pretty idyllic life. Well-loved by her parents she’s grown up to be a self-sufficient person making a career in freelance journalism. Part of the reason she can do this is the chunck of money left to her by millionaire Uncle Max who died in a car accident not long before the story opens. The only thorn in her side is her addict/street-person brother, Ace, and the fact that things didn’t work out with her fiance. He doesn’t seem to know that he’s been kicked to the curb though.

When her instincts kick in and she saves a little kid from being squashed by a beer truck, she gets her 15 minutes of fame and as a result receives a mysterious communication from a stranger that causes her whole world to implode. She’s not really the child she thought she was and her parents have knowledge of a secret world where kids are “rescued” by well-meaning adults and “sold” to rich white people. Of course in her case, it is more complicated than that.

Uncle Max is the big villain here, but I didn’t really buy it. He never showed himself until the end, and a cold smile wasn’t enough to do it. All the evidence against him was contained in little reports and files and because none of it was ever on stage, so to speak, it seemed remote and open for doubt. That Ridley came to believe it is clear, but nothing like that was conveyed to me as a reader. Esme and Zack took the stage with their evil deeds, but Max never did and so he remains distant and not much of a threat.

Ridley is one of those leading characters designed, I think, to make the reader feel smart. I found her immature with very little control of her emotions. She flew into rages or sulks or the sack with no pause for thought about how these things might affect her. She was by turns paranoid and so trusting that you could hardly feel bad for the consequences because damn, she deserved to get fucked up, lied to and screwed over. Her first person style was also assumptive and sometimes featured stilted language. No one would talk like that or write like that, but after a while I let it go and chalked it up to Ridley’s being a writer. Eh, it got me through. ( )
  Bookmarque | Feb 5, 2014 |

Lisa Ungerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sjelvgren, TiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As he was anonymous, without a name . . . at all

orphan, quidam.

CYPRIAN K. NORWID
For Jeffrey
You're everything. Always.
There were times when she wished he were dead.
Hij was anoniem, zonder naam...een en al
wees, quidam.

Cyprian K. Norwid

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307388999, Mass Market Paperback)

Ridley Jones has been living a lie. A mysterious package showed up on her doorstep one morning and the beautiful lie she used to call her life was over. Suddenly, everyone in she knows feels like a stranger. She has no idea who's on her side and who has something to hide—even her new lover, Jake, might have disturbing secrets of his own.

Now she's determined to find out the truth, even if it means risking her life. Ridley embarks on a breathtaking pursuit where every choice she makes sets off a whirlwind of consequences that are as frightening as they are shocking.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:15 -0400)

An impulsive good deed transforms the mundane life of Ridley Jones, a young New York City writer, when she receives a mysterious package that forces her to question everything she knows about herself and sends her on a dangerous quest.

Lisa Unger is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible