The Necklace: Thirteen Women and the…

The Necklace: Thirteen Women and the Experiment That Transformed Their… (2009)

by Cheryl Jarvis

Just Finished reading The Necklace by Cheryl Jarvis. This book is an absolutely amazing TRUE story about 13 women who buy and share a diamond necklace worth $37,000 dollars. What starts out an economic experiment, turns into a life long friendship and bond between many women of all ages as the necklace becomes a powerful item that raises thousands of dollars for charity, and a binding talisman to the meaning of sharing, friendship, and creativity! FIVE STARS, love this incredible story! Just ordered many copies for Christmas gifts. ( )
  vernefan | Nov 20, 2017 |
Read this one on vacation - Loved the relationships between the women, the great times, the trying times etc ... SO glad I read it! ( )
  KPhotoWrtr2 | Sep 12, 2017 |
(238)
  activelearning | Jan 22, 2016 |
This book is not just about a piece of jewelry. It is about relationships and about sharing -- and how by sharing what we have we get back more than we give. ( )
  mfdavis | May 20, 2015 |
stories are flat, premise is cool, this might be one of those books where the movie was better ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
Here we are, women who have been the beneficiaries of education, resources, reproductive choice, travel opportunities, the Internet, and a longer life expectancy than women have ever had in history. What can and will we do?
--Jean Shinoda Bolen
For our family and friends and for women everywhere who imagine possibilities.
Preface: On September 18, 2004, Thirteen women in Ventura, California, went together to buy a diamond necklace. With-in months the media picked up their story.

The true story of thirteen women who took a risk on an expensive diamond necklace and, in the process, changed not only themselves but a community.

Four years ago, in Ventura, California, Jonell McLain saw a diamond necklace in a local jewelry store display window. The necklace aroused desire first, then a provocative question: Why are personal luxuries so plentiful yet accessible to so few? What if we shared what we desired? Several weeks, dozens of phone calls, and a leap of faith later, Jonell bought the necklace with twelve other women, with the goal of sharing it.

Part charm, part metaphor, part mirror, the necklace weaves in and out of each woman’s life, reflecting her past, defining her present, making promises for her future. Lending sparkle in surprising and unexpected ways, the necklace comes to mean something dramatically different to each of the thirteen women.
With vastly dissimilar histories and lives, the women show us how they transcended their individual personalities and politics to join together in an uncommon journey. What started as a quirky social experiment became something far richer and deeper, as the women transformed a symbol of exclusivity into a symbol of inclusiveness. They discovered that sharing the necklace among themselves was only the beginning; The more they shared with others, the more profound this experience–and experiment–became.

Original, resonant, and beautifully told, this book is an inspiring story about a necklace that became greater than the sum of its links, and about thirteen ordinary women who understood the power of possibility, who touched the lives of a community, and who together created one extraordinary experience.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:31 -0400)

Four years ago, Jonell McLain saw a diamond necklace in a jewelry store window. The necklace aroused desire first, then a provocative question: What if we shared what we desired? Several weeks, dozens of phone calls, and a leap of faith later, Jonell bought the necklace with twelve other women. With vastly dissimilar histories and lives, the women transcended their individual personalities and politics to join together in an uncommon journey. Part charm, part metaphor, part mirror, the necklace weaves in and out of each woman's life, and comes to mean something dramatically different to each of them. What started as a quirky social experiment became something far richer and deeper, as the women transformed a symbol of exclusivity into a symbol of inclusiveness. They discovered that sharing the necklace was only the beginning: the more they shared with others, the more profound this experience became.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,368,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible