The Necklace: Thirteen Women and the…

The Necklace: Thirteen Women and the Experiment That Transformed Their… (2009)

by Cheryl Jarvis

258None44,027 (3.18)28

stories are flat, premise is cool, this might be one of those books where the movie was better ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
An interesting book. I didn't really enjoy it much, but it was easy to read. The book is a non-fiction account of a group of women who decided to buy a very expensive diamond necklace together. I never really got past the 'spending over $1000 each to buy a $15000 piece of jewelry' thing. I can see that they were able to use it to do good for others, but they probably could have accomplished that without the expensive piece of jewelry.

The story is broken down into very short sections, which made it easy to read. It is not a chronological account. Each section is titled by the name of one of the women. The section then goes on to describe the woman and what she feels she got out of being part of the group. It also tells the story of the group itself and how it evolved, by using that woman's experience and contribution to the discussions or activities. I didn't really relate to the group as a whole. These were a group of women who were pretty comfortable financially, with lots of free time on their hands.

Even though I didn't enjoy the book that much, I think it would be an excellent choice for a book club. You could have some very interesting discussions, based on questions like 'Would you ever go in on a necklace like this?' 'Was there any woman you particularly identified with?' The discussions would really help in making this a book worth reading. ( )
  Time2Read2 | Mar 31, 2013 |
!3 women buy a VERY expensive diamond necklace to share.

The most interesting thing in the book is how the necklace changes them. This necklace, and the other women in the group, give each woman something she needed, but maybe didn't realize it. Very interesting. ( )
  bookwormteri | Apr 12, 2012 |
Think Traveling Pants meets Red Hat Club, with a little Sweet Potato Queens tossed in for good measure. The idea is intriguing, but I never would have finished this book if I wasn't reading it for a book club. The writing is over the top sentimental, and nothing about any of the women is at all interesting ( )
  A.NovelGal_Reads | Mar 11, 2012 |
So Jonell desires a diamond necklace with a price tag of $37,000. Within weeks the price falls to $24,000 and bids are taken. Jonell thinks why not share a luxury item such as this as we do art when we stand beside one another viewing a beautiful masterpiece? Here's the gem, this is a true story that took place in 2004 in Ventura, CA. Jonell sold this to 12 women to "buy in" and each pay at last $1,000 for the lower bid of $15,000. Each lady would have the necklace that they actualy named Jewela for their birth month with just 2 overlaps. Now Jewela almost takes on a character all it's own.

I'm pleased one lady pushed this to our book club of 10. The story is so much more than it appears with members inviting the public to come spend an evening with Jewela and the benefit proceeds going to charity groups. The community became a part of this joint venture and benifited greatly. Character changes that impacted a person's lifestyle was documented. I'm not in to diamonds myself and neither were some of the women that bought in. They bought in to an experience that was truly rewarding. Empower 13 women, let them brain storm, see what you get! 3.5*

btw, can I get maybe 12 of ya to go $2,000 on a new Jeep Wrangler? I'll let ya pick color = ) ( )
  BONS | Jan 16, 2012 |
Here we are, women who have been the beneficiaries of education, resources, reproductive choice, travel opportunities, the Internet, and a longer life expectancy than women have ever had in history. What can and will we do?
--Jean Shinoda Bolen
For our family and friends and for women everywhere who imagine possibilities.
Preface: On September 18, 2004, Thirteen women in Ventura, California, went together to buy a diamond necklace. With-in months the media picked up their story.

The true story of thirteen women who took a risk on an expensive diamond necklace and, in the process, changed not only themselves but a community.

Four years ago, in Ventura, California, Jonell McLain saw a diamond necklace in a local jewelry store display window. The necklace aroused desire first, then a provocative question: Why are personal luxuries so plentiful yet accessible to so few? What if we shared what we desired? Several weeks, dozens of phone calls, and a leap of faith later, Jonell bought the necklace with twelve other women, with the goal of sharing it.

Part charm, part metaphor, part mirror, the necklace weaves in and out of each woman’s life, reflecting her past, defining her present, making promises for her future. Lending sparkle in surprising and unexpected ways, the necklace comes to mean something dramatically different to each of the thirteen women.
With vastly dissimilar histories and lives, the women show us how they transcended their individual personalities and politics to join together in an uncommon journey. What started as a quirky social experiment became something far richer and deeper, as the women transformed a symbol of exclusivity into a symbol of inclusiveness. They discovered that sharing the necklace among themselves was only the beginning; The more they shared with others, the more profound this experience–and experiment–became.

Original, resonant, and beautifully told, this book is an inspiring story about a necklace that became greater than the sum of its links, and about thirteen ordinary women who understood the power of possibility, who touched the lives of a community, and who together created one extraordinary experience.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:54 -0400)

Four years ago, Jonell McLain saw a diamond necklace in a jewelry store window. The necklace aroused desire first, then a provocative question: What if we shared what we desired? Several weeks, dozens of phone calls, and a leap of faith later, Jonell bought the necklace with twelve other women. With vastly dissimilar histories and lives, the women transcended their individual personalities and politics to join together in an uncommon journey. Part charm, part metaphor, part mirror, the necklace weaves in and out of each woman's life, and comes to mean something dramatically different to each of them. What started as a quirky social experiment became something far richer and deeper, as the women transformed a symbol of exclusivity into a symbol of inclusiveness. They discovered that sharing the necklace was only the beginning: the more they shared with others, the more profound this experience became.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,483,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible