Miles from Nowhere by Nami Mun

Miles from Nowhere (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Nami Mun

307None36,124 (3.53)28
Member:Kelslynn
Title:Miles from Nowhere
Authors:Nami Mun
Info:Riverhead Trade (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages

Miles from Nowhere by Nami Mun (2009)

A quick but entertaining read about an Asian youth in NYC. ( )
  JK135 | Apr 9, 2014 |
I have won exactly one goodreads.com giveaway, 1 year ago. Unfortunately, the mailing coincided with an uncharacteristic week-long snow/ice/snowstorm - I think the pansy mailman didn't want to shuffle through the drifts to drop the book off at my door and just left a note in my faraway mailbox saying I wasn't home when he tried to deliver it. 'Come snow' my ass!

From what I understand of goodreads.com's secret formula for awarding these freebies, my lack of review for this book (that they believe I possess and should have read&reviewed) dropped my chances of winning again to nothing. Evidence: a year of not winning.

Let the giveaway famine end. I wish I could have read my own free, pristine copy a year ago. I imagine I would have at least liked it. I posit I would have written an acceptably postive review.

Please let me back in the pool for the giveaways? Please? ( )
  EhEh | Apr 3, 2013 |
Well, I didn't hate the book. It is beautifully written, but I just cannot get into books where I have no sympathy for the main character. I started to when they talked about her relationship with her parents, but in the end I couldn't really get into it. It's a quick read and I did feel bad for these people, but it just didn't hit home for me. Maybe I'm just heartless. ( )
  Rincey | Mar 29, 2013 |
The thirteen-year-old Korean narrator of this episodic novel runs away from home, living hand to mouth on the streets of New York City. Joon moves into the world of runaways - living in shelters, becoming addicted to drugs and alcohol, inhabiting the world of the hopeless. Yet through it all, she maintains her resilience, honesty and even honor in her search for something better than what she has known.

Miles from Nowhere is a depressing if realistic book, but there were times when Joon's innocence and the people she encountered made me smile.
  Kelslynn | Nov 4, 2012 |
  asianamlitfans | Nov 25, 2011 |
To see clearly and without flinching,
without turning away,
this is agony, the eyes taped open
two inches from the sun.
- Margaret Atwood, Notes Towards a Poem That Can Never Be Written
For Gus, my believer
I'd been at the shelter for two weeks and there was nothing to do but go to counseling or lie on my cot and count the rows of empty cots nailed to the floor or watch TV in the rec room, where the girls cornrowed each other's hair and went on about pulling a date with Reggie the counselor because he looked like Billy Dee Williams and had a rump-roast ass. I didn't see a way to join in, but I didn't feel like being alone, either.
I wondered when Lana had decided to start being a woman. If the change was easy or hard. If she had to forget people she loved and hated, and what piece of herself she had to leave behind. I wanted to start over, too. I'd left a bed and a mother to sleep under storefront awnings right beside men who thought a homeless girl was a warm radiator they could put their hands to. I'd slept in shelters, in abandoned buildings. I'd been beaten. And at the start of every new day, I still believed I could choose my own beginning, one that was scrubbed clean of everything past.

Fleeing her 1980s Bronx family home in the wake of her unfaithful father's abandonment and her mother's mental illness, Korean teen Joon struggles through an adolescence marked by homeless shelters, addiction, and demeaning jobs.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,500,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible