The Shiniest Jewel: A Family Love Story by…

The Shiniest Jewel: A Family Love Story

by Marian Henley

5320337,150 (3.85)22
A graphic tale inspired by the author's poignant journey of adopting a baby while coping with her father's illness and her reluctance to marry a long-time boyfriend describes her struggles through the emotionally wrenching international adoption process and the parenting experiences through which she came to better understand her father.… (more)
    Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (Citizenjoyce)
    Citizenjoyce: Another excellent graphic depiction of a father - daughter relationship.

This is a book I probably wouldn't have run across and read, except that it came through my department at work. It's a delighful story, and because it's a graphic book, I was able to zip through it during lunch! It was an interesting mix of both light reading and a poignant story, and I enjoyed Henley's drawings and captions as well. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
This is a wonderful graphic memoir of Henley's attempts at international adoption at the age of 50, her extreme aversion to romantic commitment, and the decline in health of her father. I don't see how anyone could read it without tears streaming down their cheeks, as they did mine. Recommended for anyone wanting to read about how an accomplished woman lives her life, father daughter relationships, or the problems of adoption. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Nov 6, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A new graphic novel that you won't want to put down! The story of adoption, life, love, etc. told in adorable cartoons. If you have never read a graphic novel, you should start with this one. You won't be disappointed. Maybe you are thinking "I'm an adult, I don't do cartoon books! I need small type, 500+ pages and footnotes to believe I'm really reading." haha. Don't be silly. Really, you don't need to prove to anyone how serious a reader you are! Indulge in some chocolate here! Besides, this book IS serious! ( )
  kristinbell | Sep 4, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had a hard time "reading" this book. In fact, I did not finish it. It is a "cartoon" style book, which I never read and would not have requested it on the Early Reviewers list. I think the storyline is positive, in other words, a "good feel" book, just not my style ( )
  jeanie1 | Oct 3, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A cute little graphic novel about a woman's journey adopting her first child. It was sweet, but fairly unsubstantial. ( )
  freckled | Jul 26, 2009 |
It’s the story that drew me to keep reading, and then I noticed just how expressive the characters are and how powerful the simple imagery can be.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Marian Henley's book The Shiniest Jewel was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,742,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible