The Scrivener's Bones by Brandon Sanderson

The Scrivener's Bones

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Alcatraz (2)

Like this first in the series, this was a fun read. I'd give it a 3.5 if I had the option. The author is clearly having fun with it, even having the titular character disdain large fantasy novels - exactly what Mr. Sanderson usually writes. The clever plotting sometimes shades over into "Hey! Look how clever I am!" but not so much that it's obnoxious. I do want to know more about the larger story/cosmology going on - the hints in this volume are fascinating. I suspect I would have /adored/ this series if I'd read it as a kid. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Not as good as the first book, but the "trick" worked. The set-up was okay, if implausibly so. As if anything in the context of this series could be implausible, given that Things Aren't Ever What They Seem.
  librisissimo | Apr 18, 2018 |
so much fun! ( )
  Heldin | Oct 15, 2017 |
The second Alcatraz book is arguably the best in the series (2 and 3 are pretty much tied in my mind). For those who have only read the first one so far, that’s ample cause to be excited.

*Spoilers Ahead*

Sanderson elaborates on, and deepens, the two magic systems he introduced in the first book. Smedry talents are explained to Alcatraz by his uncle in what has become my favorite dialogue scene in the series, and a connection between oculator lenses, Smedry talents, and silimatic technology is hinted at for the first time here. The tomb of Alcatraz the First is discovered, and the things he wrote about the breaking talent leaves Alcatraz with much to think about. A mysterious, powerful new lens is found that will become a key part of the next book. The true reason that Alcatraz was sent the translator lenses by his father turns out to be a really clever trick, and a great payoff. Just all in all a great book, but more importantly a great setup for the rest of the series. Some book series are nothing but unrelated adventures with the same characters in the same world. Not this. This multi-volume story is so tightly woven together that you can’t even see the thread, and book two is really where the weaving begins to take shape.
  ForeverMasterless | Apr 23, 2017 |
Six years ago I read the first book in the Alcatraz series and really enjoyed it and meant to continue with the series. Now at last I've read the second book in the series and it was worth the wait. Sanderson's Alcatraz Smedry is an unreliable narrator who keeps interrupting the story to deliberately make the reader question everything. It's gimmicky but in-universe it works since the concept of this world is that evil librarians control reality. It's a funny adventure set in the Library of Alexandria, and Sanderson is committed to the idea of the wraith-like curators persistently trying to trick the human visitors into taking a book in exchange for their soul. It's a clever and enjoyable read and I should not wait so long to continue the series. ( )
  Othemts | Feb 6, 2017 |
Though some readers may find the author's non sequiturs and frequent interruptions in the narrative off-putting, those who enjoy their fantasy with a healthy dose of slapstick humor will be delighted.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Jane Henriksen Baird (Dec 1, 2008)

Sanderson gives due weight to his characters’ dangerous situation and its emotional implications, balancing absurdity, action, and character growth for a thoroughly thrilling read.
added by Katya0133 | editHorn Book Magazine, Claire E. Gross (Nov 1, 2008)

Trying too hard to be strange, the effect is not fun but forced.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Oct 1, 2008)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brundage, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
de Ocampo, RamonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lazo, HayleyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lauren, who somehow manages to be both the baby of the family and the most responsible one of us all.
So, there I was, slumped in my chair, waiting in a drab airport terminal, munching absently on a bag of stale potato chips.
I shivered, realizing it probably wasn't a good idea to sass the soul-sucking monster with a burning skull for a head.

Alcatraz Smedry is back with a new mission!

The Evil Librarians are still up to their antics and it's up to Alcatraz Smedry to put a stop to it! This second book will take Alcatraz and company on an exploration of the Library of Alexandria, which -- despite Librarian rumors -- was never destroyed. It is a mysterious place and everyone knows that it holds dark secrets. Can Alcatraz, with his talent for breaking things, break into this secret world? Or will the Evil Librarians once again prevail?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:51 -0400)

Thirteen-year-old Alcatraz Smedry and his companions seek Al's father and grandfather in the Great Library of Alexandria, where they face undead, soul-stealing wraiths called the Curators of Alexandria, and one of the Scrivener's Bones, a part-human, part-machine mercenary.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,690,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible