Catechism of the Catholic Church: Revised in…

Catechism of the Catholic Church: Revised in Accordance With the Official… (original 1992; edition 2000)

by Our Sunday Visitor

5,198271,275 (4.23)45
Member:faerielyght
Title:Catechism of the Catholic Church: Revised in Accordance With the Official Latin Text Promulgated by Pope John Paul II
Authors:Our Sunday Visitor
Info:Usccb Pub. (2000), Edition: 2, Paperback, 928 pages

Catechism of the Catholic Church by Catholic Church (Author) (1992)

Recently added bypjayb, emador, SchuylerHall, eacker001, private library, TeresaWClark, LeeGilbert
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose, Tim Spalding
    The Holy Bible by Richard Challoner (CatholicGal)
    CatholicGal: This is one of the more literal catholic translations.
    The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth by Scott Hahn (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: This is a great book that provides a wonderful overview of Mass.

English (25)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (27)
Shipwrecked 12yr old girl on the Scilly Isles ( )
  t29 | Feb 12, 2018 |
The full, complete exposition of Catholic doctrine, this second edition of the international bestseller has been significantly expanded, enhancing both its content and usability. Revised in accordance with the official Latin text promulgated by Pope John Paul II in 1997, the second edition now includes more than a hundred additional pages, offering such new features as a glossary of terms, an index of citations from sources and in-brief texts on core teachings. The essential elements of faith are presented in the most understandable manner, enabling everyone to read and know what the Church professes, celebrates, lives, and prays in her daily life. The first new compendium in more than 400 years, the second edition of the Catechism stands, in the words of Pope John Paul II, as "a sure norm for teaching the faith" and an "authentic reference text." Q: How does the second edition of the Catechism of the Catholic Church differ from the first edition? A: The second edition differs in two ways. First, the second edition reflects the changes that were made in the final Latin text in 1997. Second, the second edition includes a new index. The glossary was also added in the American version of the second edition of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
  tony_sturges | Oct 9, 2017 |
Incredible source of spiritual guidance and the gathered wisdom of the Roman church. ( )
  rlittlejn | Dec 27, 2015 |
An absolute read for every Catholic and anyone wanting to know what the Catholic Church actually teaches. Don't take your information from television, the newspaper, your neighbour or even another Catholic to start with. If you want the real, honest teaching, look it up here. I've dabbled in the Catechism many times, looking things up and following rabbit trails. However, I read the Catechism from start to finish using a schedule during the entire year of 2013. Brief readings every single day, ending late November. I can't actually review the Catechism; these are just my thoughts. It is a book of teaching (catechism actually means instructions), rules, explanations and a guide on how to live your life the way Jesus asks us to in the Bible and through oral tradition. Any question you may have about Catholic doctrine or Christian living is answered within these pages. Almost the entire book I found enlightening and I'm glad I can say I have read the whole thing. I found many passages that I've heard spoken by Popes, famous Catholic personages, priests etc. that have been accredited to them but really is just them knowing the Church's teaching so well they can almost quote the Catechism verbatim. I'll admit some parts were a little tedious and boring for me, it depends on how in depth on a topic you need to personally go, but by far and large I was captivated by most of the reading. Scripture, the Church Fathers and Doctors of the Church (as well as many other Saints) are quoted extensively, so we are reading a lot of original source material. The section on the Church's teaching of social justice (which denounces both communism and capitalism), is one where we could only wonder at how perfect and peaceful life on earth would be if all mankind could live according to the Body of Christ. I find that having read this all the way through I have become a better Christian, a better Catholic, am able to explain my Faith a bit better and live it much better. I don't think I'll read it front to back anytime soon (though that season may come again at some point) but Ill certainly be pulling it out frequently to see what exactly the Church's teaching is on a subject before I sound off, make a personal decision or try to explain a delicate concept. You can't live your faith without knowing what that faith is, and the Catechism is where you can first go to get the answers. Don't get me wrong, this in know way replaces the Bible. It's purpose is completely different. Don't let its size intimidate you either, as it is not difficult reading at all and can be read topically or randomly. But as a Catholic one should never presume or assume one knows what the Church teaches, find out for yourself; the correct answers are only as far as this book which should be on a shelf in your home or office. ( )
1 vote ElizaJane | Dec 1, 2013 |
This is a must for any Catholic home's library! It lays out Catholic beliefs in an easy to understand way that makes this book so useful! ( )
1 vote tannerl | Jun 30, 2013 |
We begin our profession of faith by saying: "I believe" or "We believe."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385479670, Mass Market Paperback)

Catechism of the Catholic Church is the first new edition of the catechism in 400 years. Catechism means "instruction," and this text will remain the standard reference for Catholics for many future generations. It is the authoritative summary of Catholic belief regarding the Church creeds, sacraments, commandments, and prayers. To get some idea of the level of detail with which the Catechism engages Catholic doctrine, consider that 17 pages of explanation accompany the opening words of the Apostle's Creed ("I Believe in God the Father"). The book is exceptionally well organized, with line-by-line explanations of every conceivable aspect of orthodox Catholic belief. Extensive cross-referencing, indexing, footnotes, and "In Brief" summaries of each section further ease the project of finding the precise answers to any questions a reader might have. Even the layout of information on the page is easy on the eyes, with wide margins for readers who wish to make notes. Furthermore, the back cover features a true rarity in the annals of world literature: a blurb by the Pope. --Michael Joseph Gross

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:49 -0400)

Teachings of the Roman Catholic Church covering: the Creed, the Sacred Liturgy and Sacraments, the Ten Commandments, and Christian prayer (including The Lord's Prayer).

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,528,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible