Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, Book 1) by…

Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, Book 1) (edition 2009)

by Nalini Singh

Member:charlee2
Title:Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, Book 1)
Authors:Nalini Singh
Info:Berkley (2009), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Favorites

Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh

Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk (TheBooknerd)
    Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (87)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (90)
Great start to the series! I really enjoyed the characters and the interesting world Singh has created! The audio was good. The narrator did a good job with all the accents overall (sometimes, it was like she forgot to not use an accent when another character spoke). ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
I cannot BELIEVE it took me so long to start this series. Awesome. On to the next! ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
Angel's Blood was not as good as I thought it would be. Elena is a vampire hunter. She finds vampires and returns them to their master, the angel that created them. She has a special ability to scent vampires, which makes her unique. Raphael is the archangel of New York and requests her assistance to find an archangel gone bad.

This story never fully captured my attention, though there were many unusual aspects. Angels making vampires was an intriguing idea. The secrecy and mystery surrounding angels, especially archangels, was interesting. It was completely different than anything I've read lately. There was some action, some humor, and plenty of questions as to what exactly was wrong with the archangel gone bad. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to empathize with Elena nor was I able to really like Raphael. I understood that he wasn't human and wouldn't behave as a human does, but he was so cold and hard throughout most of the book. He redeemed himself in the end, but it was too late for me to warm up to him. I haven't decided if I'm going to read the next in the series yet. ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
Really awesome idea with angel's basically owning the vamps, and creating them as well. Interesting how the angels were portrayed. They were kind of evil, with no compassion. I think that's what made it interesting for me, because when I think of an angel I usually think of compassion and love. That was not the case with these angels. Elena is a guild hunter, she's "licensed to hunt vampires & assorted others". She born with the ability to smell vampires so she can track them better. She's a woman with a truly horrific life history. I think that's another thing that I really enjoyed about this book. It was horrific, and terrifying. I couldn't put it down.

This book was like Saw, meets CSI, meets angels/vamps, meets buffy, add a bit of sex and ta-daaa. If that doesn't say read me I don't know what else does. ( )
  RozzieReads | Jun 5, 2018 |
Angels' Blood
5 Stars

Elena Deveraux is a vampire hunter with a reputation for always finding her prey. Hired by the lethal archangel of New York, Raphael, to locate one of his ilk who has gone rogue, Elena soon realizes that the greatest threat to her life and her sanity may just be the very archangel with the key to her heart and her soul.

World building is one of Singh’s greatest skills and the world of the Guild Hunters is no exception. Her angels and vampires are original and compelling with angels that are anything but angelic and vampires that are so much more than simply vampiric.

Raphael’s arrogance, imperiousness and domineering attitude do not make for positive first impressions. Nevertheless, as the story progresses and his backstory emerges, it becomes clear that there is more to him than meets the eye and he slowly succeeds in winning you over with his mix of intense power, romantic gestures and pure sexiness.

Elena is a wonderful mix of strength and vulnerability that one cannot help but admire and empathize with. She also has a serious problem with her mouth getting ahead of her brain, which gets her into some rather sticky situations with Raphael and his men.

The secondary cast comprised of Raphael’s fellow archangels with their own personal agendas, the men who are loyal to him unto death as well as Elena’s self-absorbed family and her steadfast colleagues at the Guild are all fleshed out just enough to keep you guessing and whet your appetite for more.

In terms of the audiobook, Justine Eyre’s narration is captivating. While she may not be to everyone’s liking, her throaty voice resonates with me and she manages to capture the essence of all of the characters, male and female.

All in all, a fantastic introduction to the series with a straightforward plot, a psychotic villain and a final twist at the end, which ensures that I will be continuing with the series sooner rather than later. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

Nalini Singhprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the real Ashwini, who is definitely not all kinds of crazy (except when I drive her to it).  Best friends -- and sisters -- don't come any better than this.
When Elena told people she was a vampire hunter, their first reaction was an inevitable gasp, followed by, You go around sticking those sharp stakes in their evil purid hearts?

Nalini Singh introduces readers to a world of beauty and bloodlust, where angels hold sway over vampires.

Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux is hired by the dangerously beautiful Archangel Raphael. But this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to track. It's an archangel gone bad.

The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other - and pull her to the razor's edge of passion. Even if the hunt doesn't destroy her, succumbing to Raphael's seductive touch just may. For when archangels play, mortals break.
Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux knows she is the best - but she does not know if even she is good enough for this job. Hired by the dangerously beautiful archangel Raphael, a being so lethal that no mortal wants his attention, Elena knows failure is not an option - even if the task is impossible. Because this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to track. It's an archangel gone bad.
The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other - and pull her to the razor's edge of passion. Even if the hunt does not destroy her, succumbing to Raphael's seductive touch just might. For when archangels play, mortals break.

"Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux knows she is the best--but she does not know if even she is good enough for this job. Hired by the dangerously beautiful archangel Raphael, a being so lethal that no mortal wants his attention. Elena knows failure is not an option--even if the task is impossible. Because this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to trick. It's an archangel gone bad. The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other--and pull her to the razor's edge of passion..."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,340,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible