Member:strange
Title:Angels' Blood
Authors:
Info:
Tags:urban fantasy, horror, angels, vampires

Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh

Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk (TheBooknerd)
    Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (77)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (80)
5 Stars

Elena Deveraux is a vampire hunter with a reputation for always finding her prey. Hired by the lethal archangel of New York, Raphael, to locate one of his ilk who has gone rogue, Elena soon realizes that the greatest threat to her life and her sanity may just be the very archangel with the key to her heart and her soul.

World building is one of Singh’s greatest skills and the world of the Guild Hunters is no exception. Her angels and vampires are original and compelling with angels that are anything but angelic and vampires that are so much more than simply vampiric.

Raphael’s arrogance, imperiousness and domineering attitude do not make for positive first impressions. Nevertheless, as the story progresses and his backstory emerges, it becomes clear that there is more to him than meets the eye and he slowly succeeds in winning you over with his mix of intense power, romantic gestures and pure sexiness.

Elena is a wonderful mix of strength and vulnerability that one cannot help but admire and empathize with. She also has a serious problem with her mouth getting ahead of her brain, which gets her into some rather sticky situations with Raphael and his men.

The secondary cast comprised of Raphael’s fellow archangels with their own personal agendas, the men who are loyal to him unto death as well as Elena’s self-absorbed family and her steadfast colleagues at the Guild are all fleshed out just enough to keep you guessing and whet your appetite for more.

In terms of the audiobook, Justine Eyre’s narration is captivating. While she may not be to everyone’s liking, her throaty voice resonates with me and she manages to capture the essence of all of the characters, male and female.

All in all, a fantastic introduction to the series with a straightforward plot, a psychotic villain and a final twist at the end, which ensures that I will be continuing with the series sooner rather than later. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
This was a decent start to this paranormal romance series. In general this was a pretty typical paranormal romance.

The main heroine, Elena, has special Hunter powers that make her stronger than normal and overworks herself like crazy (like many UF and PNR heroines). The male lead, Raphael, is your typical over protective alpha male (although he tries to temper himself to allow Elena room). I enjoyed Elena’s relationship with her best friend; they have a funny and cute friendship that added a lot to the story.

I did enjoy the reimaging of a world run by angels and how vampires related to the angels; the explanation behind this was well done. I also enjoyed the twist the story took at the end.

Overall this was an engaging read but not all the different from many of the other PNR series out there. I thought some of the elements in the world were interesting (angles and how vampires relate to them). I didn’t really enjoy Raphael as a character all that much...too alpha male, but I know a lot of PNR readers dig that. I enjoyed the book well enough but am not sure if I will continue the series or not at this point. ( )
  krau0098 | Apr 27, 2016 |
The Guild Hunter books were a great series, unfortunatly by the time I got around to reading them I was a little burnt out on the genre and it was way to similiar to other books I read and the characters were hard to connect with. Overall, I liked it but I wouldn't read it again. They are good books and many people like them, my opinion is somewhat swayed because, I've been reading the same genre forever so unless a plot jumps out at me and I feel like I really connect with the characters than it I won't give it a rave review. It was worth reading though, I would just have it at the bottom of my "To Read" list. ( )
  lnycook | Apr 18, 2016 |
Archagels rule the vampire world, Guild hunters take care of the problems the angels don't.. Ellie is a hunter, turned out by her family, hardened from life. She is assigned to work with an Archangel to solve a problem that will most likely lead to her death. He is sexy, beautiful and has little feelings for life. The conflicts of working together may be to much.. to many secerts.. to much danger from a killer Acrchangel and from the very one that hired her. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I loved this, and cant wait to read more in this series!! ( )
  JoBDo | Jan 2, 2016 |

Nalini Singhprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the real Ashwini, who is definitely not all kinds of crazy (except when I drive her to it).  Best friends -- and sisters -- don't come any better than this.
When Elena told people she was a vampire hunter, their first reaction was an inevitable gasp, followed by, You go around sticking those sharp stakes in their evil purid hearts?

Nalini Singh introduces readers to a world of beauty and bloodlust, where angels hold sway over vampires.

Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux is hired by the dangerously beautiful Archangel Raphael. But this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to track. It's an archangel gone bad.

The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other - and pull her to the razor's edge of passion. Even if the hunt doesn't destroy her, succumbing to Raphael's seductive touch just may. For when archangels play, mortals break.
Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux knows she is the best - but she does not know if even she is good enough for this job. Hired by the dangerously beautiful archangel Raphael, a being so lethal that no mortal wants his attention, Elena knows failure is not an option - even if the task is impossible. Because this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to track. It's an archangel gone bad.
The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other - and pull her to the razor's edge of passion. Even if the hunt does not destroy her, succumbing to Raphael's seductive touch just might. For when archangels play, mortals break.

"Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux knows she is the best--but she does not know if even she is good enough for this job. Hired by the dangerously beautiful archangel Raphael, a being so lethal that no mortal wants his attention. Elena knows failure is not an option--even if the task is impossible. Because this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to trick. It's an archangel gone bad. The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other--and pull her to the razor's edge of passion..."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,468,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible