Angels' Blood

Member:strange
Title:Angels' Blood
Authors:
Info:
Tags:urban fantasy, horror, angels, vampires

Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh

Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk (TheBooknerd)
    Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (70)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (73)
The fact is, this isn't the first time i re-read this particular novel. Now that the series has progressed, and sadly taken a nosedive, i see the subtle nuances i haven't really noticed before.

Nalini Singh originally intended for this series to have a subtly different flavor then it became. Happily i can say i am grateful it didn't turn out to be one of those one novel per MC types, because sometimes a certain character just deserves some more depth. Not every story can fit in one scroll, and not every character deserves a cheesy HEA.

The reason i lost faith in this series is a sad one. Firstly i am a supporter of common sense, then a supporter of women's rights. As such i will not scream till i froth at the mouth at every story i read where a woman meets a dominant male, or bare my tits in an attempt to fight the patriarchy every time i read a story in witch a woman needs to be saved.

Guild Hunter lacks in two massive departments - firstly, The Tortured Soul Syndrome. Every character is abused, every character needs saving. Every single character is running from their pasts. Yes, i understand that if you live for thousands of years, you are bound to experience some ill shit, that is never in dispute. What got me was that every character was somehow portrayed in a same way. So much so that it started to take away from the originality and the uniqueness of every character in this series. I knew what the dynamic between characters is going to be like, regardless of the story and that simply put me off. All of the women, and I mean ALL of them are in a need of saving, and running away from their romantic interests. And ALL of the guys are super-duper-macho-kick-ass-one-liner-spewing-uber-fighting-bad-boys-but-not-really.
Urgh.

Second - Sense of Humor. You would think that these angels would learn how to tell a fucking joke, being old as dirt and all....but no,every time the angels speak be like...

Have a mojito for fucks sake... Relaaaaaaaaaax.
Still though, this was a good one. ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
Summary
Elena Deveraux is a vampire hunter, and she has always had the talent for being able to detect and sense vampires around her. She is considered to be the best of the best. When she is called upon to meet with the archangel Raphael, she is shocked, but he needs her to hunt down a rogue archangel who has gone insane and is on a killing spree. She has never before been able to scent archangels, until now. This hunt will put Elena in the middle of a mad killing escapade that will put her in danger of losing herself to the dangerous and lethal archangel Raphael. Elena knows what her job is, and she also knows that she may not survive. This is the most dangerous mission she has ever gone on, and when an intense desire for Raphael gets thrown in the mix, Elena starts to realize that if the rogue doesn’t kill her, the danger of being with Raphael could very well destroy her…

The Hero
Raphael, holds one of the most powerful territories of the archangels. Despite the fact that he isn’t the most oldest of his kind, he is one of the most dangerous and cunning of them all. He is ruthless and not afraid to use every weapon at his disposal to get what he wants. Raphael isn’t your typical hero, in fact he is quite edgy and pretty dangerous. But whew did I love him. In fact I don’t think I have ever read a hero like him before, there was something so much more to him and you get that sense from the very beginning. That even though he is pretty damn dangerous and scary at times, there is also a soul deep part of him that needs love and affection just like everyone else. This side of him no one sees until Elena comes on the scene and we see him change slowly but surly to a being that begins to love.

The Heroine
Elena, is a vampire hunter, but she is so much more than the average hunter. There is a reason Raphael wants her so bad, because she is the best the Guild has to offer. She was born a vampire hunter, and her senses are natural to her. Which makes it easier for her to hunt vampires than anyone else. The family that Elena was born into it she has lost them all because of her father. And she despises him, but she has created a new family, her best friend and her husband, and other members of the Guild are her real family and she will do anything to protect them. What was most intriguing about Elena was the various facets to her character that we see. At first we see a bad ass fighter, that can bring in those rogue vampires pretty dang easily. We see her as a protector and a fighter and stands up to Raphael (which could easily get her maimed or killed) but she forges on. Despite how scared she is of him at times, she still goes forward and boy did i love her strength and fortitude to deal with whatever came her way. She was a heroine that I cheered for from page one.

Plot and Story Line
For the longest time I have been in love with Nalini Singh, and I fell for her Psy Changeling series, but I resisted reading this series, why? I have no idea. hehe oh the workings of my mind, I honestly don’t even know why I didn’t, probably because I just haven’t read that much in Urban Fantasy, but I was thrilled that there was a focus on the romance as well as this world that Singh has created for us. but I found myself just falling for this story immediately. From the first page I was completely hooked, and I couldn’t put this one down, and whew what a page turner this story was for me. The first aspect that I fell for was our heroine. She is completely a bad ass and love her personality, and I found myself relating to her in those strange ways that I would never normally see if I hadn’t been so involved in this story. And the hero….WOW….he is a shock to the core, because he is so much more than any hero you will ever read. And the chemistry between these two is pretty fiery hot!! I mean honestly, the whole sensual game they play with each other is hot enough to set fire to you. Now on to the main focus of the story…the hunt for the rogue Archangels. Now these archangels aren’t your average ones that you hear about. They are dangerous and scary and formidable. You don’t cross these beings or you are dead. What was so spectacular about this book was how well Singh balances out the Urban Fantasy world and the paranormal romantic elements. In fact it was quite difficult at times to distinguish the two, they were melded together in such a way that it formed a rich story that will enthrall you from the beginning. I was astonished at the way the story developed and the ending….DANG can this author give me a surprise or shock that I would never see coming. This book really tested me in a way that allowed me to see “outside the box” and in a perspective of seeing a different side to a character or actions being taken. The story itself is action packed and thrilling to the end, guaranteed to get your blood pumping with adrenalin and excitement. The romance between Elena and Raphael is intense and magnificent and is utterly captivating!!

The Cover
I am not sure what I think of the cover to be honest, the colors are very dramatic, and it makes you feel that edgy and dangerous feel that the book portrays.

Overall View
Angels’ Blood is an utterly engaging read that will have you on edge from beginning to end, a story that is packed with suspense, dangerous creatures, a fighting heroine, and a passionate love!!
  addictofromance | Jun 19, 2015 |
Well this was my first adventure into Singh's style. I thought her world building was excellent. Angels and vampires living amongst us! Cool. The story of a rogue archangel on the loose kept me turning pages. Unfortunately the romance kept dragging the story down. I liked both the hero and heroine but didn't really care if they hooked up or not. The scenes of them together weren't all that smoldering and I would've preferred a fade to black rather than something lackluster. The other characters especially Illium with his love for mortals and gorgeous blue wings, kept me turning pages.

I'll continue with the series because I like the world and the story coming up next brings together three things I can't get enough of angels, vampires and zombies! I'm also hoping the romance factor gets an energy boost too. ( )
  Akaria | May 13, 2015 |

Elena Deveraux
Raphael

Awesome! Excellent! And awesome! This is a great story and it's just as powerful in the reread as it was the first time I read it. Justine Eyre is just the best narrator. She bring such life to a book. 4.5 Stars I'm glad I took the time to hear this one before continuing the series, now the question is do I read or listen to the next one??? ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
just not good. ( )
  dukedukegoose | Jan 26, 2015 |

Nalini Singhprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the real Ashwini, who is definitely not all kinds of crazy (except when I drive her to it).  Best friends -- and sisters -- don't come any better than this.
When Elena told people she was a vampire hunter, their first reaction was an inevitable gasp, followed by, You go around sticking those sharp stakes in their evil purid hearts?

Nalini Singh introduces readers to a world of beauty and bloodlust, where angels hold sway over vampires.

Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux is hired by the dangerously beautiful Archangel Raphael. But this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to track. It's an archangel gone bad.

The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other - and pull her to the razor's edge of passion. Even if the hunt doesn't destroy her, succumbing to Raphael's seductive touch just may. For when archangels play, mortals break.

"Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux knows she is the best--but she does not know if even she is good enough for this job. Hired by the dangerously beautiful archangel Raphael, a being so lethal that no mortal wants his attention. Elena knows failure is not an option--even if the task is impossible. Because this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to trick. It's an archangel gone bad. The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other--and pull her to the razor's edge of passion..."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,022,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible