Angels' Blood

Member:strange
Title:Angels' Blood
Authors:
Info:
Tags:urban fantasy, horror, angels, vampires

Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh

Recently added byprivate library, nwaldron, KingsLibrary, adotto, FangsfortheFantasy, jkgrage, SusanBNM, mojo09226
    Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk (TheBooknerd)
    Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (64)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (67)
Elena is a hunter for the guild, her job is to capture vampires who have absconded from their angelic masters and creators – and hunt down the odd rogue. Despite working with vampires and even angels, the incredibly powerful Archangels are things she avoids.

So she’s less than thrilled when the enthrallingly beautiful Raphael calls her in for a job. And saying no is not an option. Worse than dealing with one Archangel is dealing with two – because she’s on the hunt for a rogue, a serial killing Archange. She’s a mortal caught between two Archangels – and that rarely ends well for the mortal.

This book is a Paranormal Romance and, in general, it works as one because the romantic elements are somewhat necessary to the plot. The romance is front and central to this story and an integral part of Raphael’s evolution as a character – if not quite so much for Elena. Angels in general and archangels especially are known for being, well, arseholes. They’re arrogant, supremely powerful, long lived and regard humans as easily broken toys or tools to be used, mangled and discard. Their rule is upheld, at least in part, by the utter fear with which people regard them and reinforced by the frequent brutal and horrific punishment they dole out on their minions or anyone who thwarts them (from a world building point of view, I’d like to see this developed more: widespread fear of angels seems to be understandable common, but so is awe and reverence or at least hefty respect which seems… more out of place).

This is Raphael’s character arc. Starting from this place of utter brutality (albeit, still one of the more “compassionate” archangels) and mellowing as he becomes more humane as the book progresses. Similarly, Elena begins from a position of considerable fear towards Raphael (though she’s determined to keep some lines and most definitely won’t grovel or bite her tongue even if she does fear utter destruction) and then becomes more familiar with him as the book progresses.

The problem is the sexual tension between them hits at the very beginning. Ok he’s angelically beautiful (of course) but that doesn’t have to translate over drooling over him while at the same time as constantly thinking he’s about to kill her. Similarly, I’d have much preferred for him to have grown to respect her before he started coming on to her – especially since he’s making sexual “advances” (to say the least – it’s very physical) while still threatening her life and using his angel mojo to mess with her mind. She even says:

“She was worried less about being killed than being seduced out of her fucking mind.”

Which… yeah I don’t think “seduction” is the exact word there. On top of this we have a completely unnecessary element of angels and some vampires being able to exude some sexual scent that Elena is super-duper sensitive to – again leading to all kinds of sexual pressure just from smelling these beings. I don’t really see it as being remotely necessary for the plot either – romance between Raphael and Elena was, certainly, but the timing and the super-sex chemicals not nearly so much. Equally, I can understand Raphael being blasé about the risk and threat he represents, but it’s galling to have Elena feel guilty for trying to defend herself against the all powerful archangel when he, she makes it very clear, intimidates, threatens and tries (and succeeds) to terrify her

It’s a shame, because beyond this the plot elements and character development works really well. The way the angels are presented, in their power, unique abilities and literally awe inspiring scope is really well done. How that reflects on society is really well done and the creation of vampires and the place they occupy in the world is truly unique and not something I’ve seen in any other book. This all ties in really well with both Elena and Raphael’s place in society and really feeds Raphael’s character growth. We see what he could become by looking not just at Uram but also at Lijuan, we see numerous ways for an Archangel to either devolve… or gain great power at the cost of any shred of humanity. It makes the choice of relationship a truly interesting conflict – does she strengthen him? Or weaken him? It adds layers to their dynamic and consequences to their relationship that make it far deeper than “these two characters want to knock boots while a serial killer roams around the city.”

On that note, Elena and Raphael, even when they get all hot and heavy for each other, remain focused on task throughout the book which is also something I appreciate. There is a monster out there and neither of them, for a second, forget that or act like it’s not important or anything other than their ultimate priority. The threat Uram represents is always there even when exploring their characters, the world or anything else in the book. It makes the writing excellent, well paced, and the tension always there.

Elena has a lot of good points in a character – her refusal to be cowed, a defiance that doesn’t come across as ridiculous or foolish. I want to see more of her to get a good grasp of her character – and a grasp of her close friends (like Sara) to see more. She has an unfortunate backstory which feels a little tacked on – because it’s such a necessary element of Urban Fantasy protagonists. It felt less like an integral part of her character and a more a “she has to have one of these.” I want to see a lot more of her before getting a better feel of her.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Nov 26, 2014 |
I also read this book a couple of months ago. I am currently trying to catch up on reviews. So sorry for the delay. On to the review!

I have been a fan of Ms. Singh's psy-changeling series for a very long time so I finally decided to read this book because of my serious love of that series. This is serious isn't as engrossing as that one in my opinion but it is still excellent in it's own right.

I love the strength of Elena, she is all about fight and I love that in my heroines. I also love the complete unapologetic ruthlessness of Raphael. He is completely comfortable being exactly who he is and the epitome of an alpha male. I enjoyed the sensual tension between these characters, they are both so strong and such fighters, it was so nice to watch them fight each other and their emotions.

mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |

The world this book is set in is interesting. It take the vampires/angels plots and moves them around enough to not be out of the genre but also enough to be new and fresh. I will continue on in this series. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
An acquaintance praised this book so much that I, ever the trustful fool, decided to pick it up and give it a try.

Note to self: never, ever follow tips given by peopole whose tastes I don't know much about.
Sure, the fact that she slobbered over Twilight should have been a clue about how reliable her judgment on books can be (for me).

I couldn't force myself to go further than page 50, it was that painful.

Ok, out with it: Elena is a dimwit.
She sees Raphael and every braincell she has (have she ever had some?) takes a dive to her panties. And then we are treated with cheesy physical descriptions like:
[...] a sudden wind swept across the rooftop, lifting up strands of his black hair. But black was too tame a word for it. It was so pure it held echoes of the night, vivid and passionate. Eyes of such pure undiluted blue it was as if some heavenly artist had crushed sapphires into his paints and then colored in the irises with the finest of brushes.
Oh please, kill me with a toothpick.

She is supposed to be this hotshot hunter but she does nothing but alternate between drooling over Raphael and being scared of him. Neither a great statement about her (supposed) competence. Her thoughts are dumb, her actions more so.
I just can't stand her and I am royally angry with the author for giving her the name and the white-blod hair of one of my favorite heroines (Elena of the Otherworld series, see [b:Bitten|11918|Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1)|Kelley Armstrong|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1306101770s/11918.jpg|2606334]).

Raphael. Where to begin with him?
Well, that question would be easier if there was actually something to begin with. But this character is insubstantial and just plain improbable. He's supposed to be a 500 years old, all-powerful angel, but he needs a dumbass chick to get a simple job done and he is "fascinated" be her. FASCINATED. By someone whose brain has the dimension and the functionality of a pea. Oh, Nalini, have mercy on me. ( )
1 vote sbinifera | Nov 8, 2013 |
I absolutely *loved* *adored* *reveled in* the ending. I am an eternal optimist and in a genre that has such a negative interpretation of the human condition, I adored the fact that one person *can* make a difference. Caused me to round up my 1.5 star rating to 2 stars.

The beginning of my review can be found: Angels' Blood Review ( )
  SnowNSew | Oct 2, 2013 |

Nalini Singhprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the real Ashwini, who is definitely not all kinds of crazy (except when I drive her to it).  Best friends -- and sisters -- don't come any better than this.
When Elena told people she was a vampire hunter, their first reaction was an inevitable gasp, followed by, You go around sticking those sharp stakes in their evil purid hearts?

Nalini Singh introduces readers to a world of beauty and bloodlust, where angels hold sway over vampires.

Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux is hired by the dangerously beautiful Archangel Raphael. But this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to track. It's an archangel gone bad.

The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other - and pull her to the razor's edge of passion. Even if the hunt doesn't destroy her, succumbing to Raphael's seductive touch just may. For when archangels play, mortals break.

"Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux knows she is the best--but she does not know if even she is good enough for this job. Hired by the dangerously beautiful archangel Raphael, a being so lethal that no mortal wants his attention. Elena knows failure is not an option--even if the task is impossible. Because this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to trick. It's an archangel gone bad. The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other--and pull her to the razor's edge of passion..."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,351,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible