Angels' Blood

Member:strange
Title:Angels' Blood
Authors:
Info:
Tags:urban fantasy, horror, angels, vampires

Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh

Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk (TheBooknerd)
    Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (61)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (64)
An acquaintance praised this book so much that I, ever the trustful fool, decided to pick it up and give it a try.

Note to self: never, ever follow tips given by peopole whose tastes I don't know much about.
Sure, the fact that she slobbered over Twilight should have been a clue about how reliable her judgment on books can be (for me).

I couldn't force myself to go further than page 50, it was that painful.

Ok, out with it: Elena is a dimwit.
She sees Raphael and every braincell she has (have she ever had some?) takes a dive to her panties. And then we are treated with cheesy physical descriptions like:
[...] a sudden wind swept across the rooftop, lifting up strands of his black hair. But black was too tame a word for it. It was so pure it held echoes of the night, vivid and passionate. Eyes of such pure undiluted blue it was as if some heavenly artist had crushed sapphires into his paints and then colored in the irises with the finest of brushes.
Oh please, kill me with a toothpick.

She is supposed to be this hotshot hunter but she does nothing but alternate between drooling over Raphael and being scared of him. Neither a great statement about her (supposed) competence. Her thoughts are dumb, her actions more so.
I just can't stand her and I am royally angry with the author for giving her the name and the white-blod hair of one of my favorite heroines (Elena of the Otherworld series, see [b:Bitten|11918|Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1)|Kelley Armstrong|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1306101770s/11918.jpg|2606334]).

Raphael. Where to begin with him?
Well, that question would be easier if there was actually something to begin with. But this character is insubstantial and just plain improbable. He's supposed to be a 500 years old, all-powerful angel, but he needs a dumbass chick to get a simple job done and he is "fascinated" be her. FASCINATED. By someone whose brain has the dimension and the functionality of a pea. Oh, Nalini, have mercy on me. ( )
  sbinifera | Nov 8, 2013 |
I absolutely *loved* *adored* *reveled in* the ending. I am an eternal optimist and in a genre that has such a negative interpretation of the human condition, I adored the fact that one person *can* make a difference. Caused me to round up my 1.5 star rating to 2 stars.

The beginning of my review can be found: Angels' Blood Review ( )
  SnowNSew | Oct 2, 2013 |
Want ( )
  Ebeth.Naylor | Sep 30, 2013 |
This one was a re-read for me. I haven't read book 3 or 4 yet and since it's been a while, I thought I would re-read 1 and 2.

First of all, I love Raphael and Elena. I also noticed I really like heroines who shoot the hero (Lord of Scoundrels, The Devil's Cub). I guess I'm a bloodthirsty wench. hehe

The dynamic between Elena and Raphael is what draws me. They're so good together. ( )
  ames | Sep 30, 2013 |
2/28/13- another reread. I adore this series.

11/10 - I enjoyed this book even more upon rereading it. The nuances of the romances combined with the excellent world-building and action packed suspense make for an excellent read. Highly recommend, even for those of you who are on the fence.

9/09 - I have an aversion to vampires, so I put off reading this for quite some time. I'm sorry for that now. What an amazing story. The world-building and characterizations were fabulous.

I really loved both characters. Elena was strong and witty. I might want to be her when I grow up.

Is there anything better than seeing an (arch)angel fall? Gabriel started out cold and harsh, but totally melted as the story progressed. But even from the beginning I adored him.
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |

Nalini Singhprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the real Ashwini, who is definitely not all kinds of crazy (except when I drive her to it).  Best friends -- and sisters -- don't come any better than this.
When Elena told people she was a vampire hunter, their first reaction was an inevitable gasp, followed by, You go around sticking those sharp stakes in their evil purid hearts?

Nalini Singh introduces readers to a world of beauty and bloodlust, where angels hold sway over vampires.

Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux is hired by the dangerously beautiful Archangel Raphael. But this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to track. It's an archangel gone bad.

The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other - and pull her to the razor's edge of passion. Even if the hunt doesn't destroy her, succumbing to Raphael's seductive touch just may. For when archangels play, mortals break.

"Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux knows she is the best--but she does not know if even she is good enough for this job. Hired by the dangerously beautiful archangel Raphael, a being so lethal that no mortal wants his attention. Elena knows failure is not an option--even if the task is impossible. Because this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to trick. It's an archangel gone bad. The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other--and pull her to the razor's edge of passion..."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,706,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible