Fire and Ice: A Novel by Julie Garwood
Info:Ballantine Books (2008), Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:**
Tags:fiction, romance, suspense, adult

Fire and Ice by Julie Garwood

Born in Death by J.D. Robb (joycedlee)
    joycedlee: Nora Roberts is a more established writter than Julie Garwood, not taking anything away from her. Nora Roberts is my Favorite Author and she is extremely good at what she does. If you like Fire and Ice you will like the J.D. Series from Nora Roberts. joycedlee… (more)

Sophie Rose is a reporter who is asked to write about her notorious father, Bobby Rose. She refused and quits her job to take another at a small paper covering local personalities. When one of them, William Harrington, turns up dead with her business card in his sock Sophie investigates. ( )
  lindahallmann | Jul 5, 2013 |
ok ( )
  WinonaBaines | Feb 14, 2012 |
This is the 2nd book in a series. This seems to be a popular writing method these days for romance/mysteries. It keeps from having to invent so many characters, I guess. As in most of these books, the main character is a childhood friend of the heroine of book one and also the soon to follow book three. She gets involved & falls in love with the best friend of husband #1. All these series are getting a bit tiring. It is not necessary to have read book #1 first, at least. The story is somewhat interesting in the scenes in Alaska and on the testing of some sort of naturally produced enzyme in the wolves being studied there. This is a beach book. Nothing heavy, but the characters are fun. ( )
  PermaSwooned | Feb 20, 2011 |
My girlfriend just raved and raved about how good an author Sandra Brown is and how I should get over my biases about her. To prove the point, she gave me this book to read. Ummm.... this book is by Julie Garwood.

But I read it anyway. I did learn some facts about Alaska, like that in some places, it's illegal to lock your cars. Why? Bear attacks. If car doors can't be locked anyone can jump into the car when a bear attacks and maybe be safe. But I've gotta tell you. For once, I'd love to see a short, plump woman with pendulous breasts become the love of someone's life. Oh, wait. Maybe I need to write that one, since I'm living it. ( )
  bookczuk | Apr 16, 2010 |
Sophie Rose, a reporter for a marginal Chicago newspaper, is a person of interest to enough government agencies to make great alphabet soup, and for nothing she's done. Her father, a modern day Robin Hood, makes a habit of stealing from the rich and giving to the poor - and of staying one step ahead of the police. So Sophie's used to taps on her phone and semi-polite invitations downtown to answer a few questions.

But when one of her more boring interviewees turn up (or mostly) in Alaska with one of her business cards tucked into his signature red running socks, she's in a whole lot more trouble than her father ever got her into.

Enter Jack MacAlister - an unintentional YouTube star, the semi-disgraced FBI agent just may be Sophie's only hope.

I wanted to enjoy this book, I really did. But the writing didn't have Garwood's usual flow. The plot was needlessly complicated, the humor seemed forced and mechanical, and the quirky characters weren't. Not a keeper. ( )
  SunnySD | Jan 9, 2010 |

my friend forever
Journal Entry 1
Chicago

Today we celebrate.

Fresh from her incredible smash-hit historical romance Shadow Music, New York Times bestselling author Julie Garwood returns to contemporary romantic suspense with this wonderfully sexy, exhilarating blockbuster. Filled with sizzling passion and breathless adventure, Fire and Ice features a feisty heroine whom Garwood's devoted readers already know and love from her hugely popular novel Murder List. Sophie Rose, a tough and determined newspaper reporter, is the daughter of Bobby Rose, a suave, charming, and handsome gentleman who also happens to be a notorious big-time thief sought by every law-enforcement agency in the country. When the major Chicago daily where she works insists she write an exposeabout her roguish father, Sophie refuses, quits her job, and goes to work at a small newspaper. Far from her onetime high-powered crime beat, she now covers local personalities such as the quirky winner of several area 5K runs whose trademark is goofy red socks. Those red socks--with Sophie's business card neatly tucked inside--are practically all that's found after runner William Harrington is killed near Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, seemingly the victim of a brutal death by polar bear. The Alaska cops want to know why Harrington carried Sophie's card. With an unerring nose for a good story, she heads north. What Sophie doesn't realize is that on her journey from Chicago to Prudhoe Bay, danger follows in her wake. After one attempt on her life, she's been assigned brash but sexy Jack MacAlister as a bodyguard by the cautious FBI. Amid great peril and deadly intrigue in the unforgiving Alaskan terrain, she and Jack form an uneasy alliance sparked with sensual attraction. But they will soon be fighting more than their growing passion for each other. Powerful forces will stop at nothing to prevent the exposure of the sinister conspiracy Sophie and Jack are about to uncover. Captivating mystery, unyielding desire, unrelenting action in a setting both beautiful and lethal--Julie Garwood weaves these thrilling elements into a heat-generating masterpiece of romantic suspense.

The daughter of notorious, high-profile thief Bobby Rose, journalist Sophie Rose leaves her job at a major Chicago newspaper for a small local paper, but when she stumbles into the middle of a bizarre story, she follows the trail of the mystery north to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, accompanied by a bodyguard, Jack Prescott, a sexy FBI agent.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,669,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible