The Chessmen of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

The Chessmen of Mars (1922)

by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Series: Barsoom (5)

920109,529 (3.46)9

Ok, so I said in my last review (Thuvia, Maid of Mars) That I thought either book 3 or 4 was about rescuing a slave, but I think I was wrong and it was actually this one.
It starts out promising, (sort of) with Tara (John Carter's daughter) standing up for herself and saying that she does not want to be forced to marry someone she has not chosen, and before she wants to get married. However, instead of coming off like that, she came off spoiled and pouty, like she was being a silly girl throwing a temper tantrum and ruining off because she didn't get her own way. (Which of course means, since a woman has gone off on her own, she will inevitably need rescued /sigh) Needless to say we find and declare evil a new race, (who, actually I found interesting, despite a touch of their own slavery of kind, or perhaps not?) our main man lies about who is is, and WAM! That silly girl realizes she really does love him (and is written in a nice excuse to marry him and not her betrothed). ( )
  AngelaRenea | May 12, 2014 |
This fifth volume of the Barsoom series is very entertaining. Again some very original populations of Barsoom are introduced, and in this volume the fighting and killing is not so dominant as in some previous volumes. The story has Tara, daughter of John Carter and Dejah Thoris as the main character. There is enough tension and - as I said - the new peoples that are introduced are quite original. A good read! ( )
  ReneH | Sep 26, 2013 |
I'm starting to get tired of the style and substance of this series. ( )
  paulrharvey3 | Jun 24, 2013 |
Also have as Grosset & Dunlap hc ed. ( )
  Georges_T._Dodds | Mar 30, 2013 |
Out of all the John Carter books I think I enjoyed this one the best.
Burroughs introduced a couple pretty strange Barsoom creatures in this story, the Kaldanes, and the Rykors. Two separate creatures but dependent on one another.
The story was kind of halloweenish in one regard with the horrible looking Kaldanes and other events that involve superstitious fear of the Manatarians.
The story also has a philosophical aspect of maintaining a healthy balance between mind and body. ( )
  marysneedle | Mar 27, 2013 |

Burroughs, Edgar Riceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
D'Achille, GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Feibush, RayCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ilmari, SeppoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krenkel, Roy G., 1918-1983.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
St. John, J. AllenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
PRELUDE: Shea had just beaten me at chess, as usual, and, also as usual, I had gleaned what questionable satisfaction I might by twitting him with this indication of failing mentality by calling his attention to the nth time to that theory, propounded by certain scientists, which is based upon the assertion that phenomenal chess players are always found to be from the ranks of children under twelve, adults over seventy-two or the mentally defective—a theory that is lightly ignored upon those occasions that I win.
Tara of Helium rose from the pile of silks and soft furs upon which she had been reclining, stretched her lithe body languidly, and crossed toward the center of the room, where, above a large table, a bronze disc depended from the low ceiling.

In the Pits of the Dead

The lock clicked shut, imprisoning her only protector, and Tara saw with horror the old man advancing upon her - I-Gos, keeper of the illustrious dead, whose ghastly mastery of taxidermy peopled his realm with their lifelike corpses.
"You sought to deceive old I-Gos," he cackled, "but you found that though his eyes are weak, his brain is not. Yet it shall not go ill with you. I-Gos loves beautiful women ... and when you die, I shall mount you beautifully and place you in the chamber with my other women. Will that not be fine, eh?"
He approached until he stood close beside the horrified daughter of the Warlord of Mars. "Come!" he cried, seizing her wrist, "Come to I-Gos!"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345278380, Mass Market Paperback)

1922. After a rambunctious youth and series of short-lived jobs including door-to-door salesman, accountant, a peddler for a quack alcoholism cure and finally pencil sharpener wholesaler, Burroughs found his calling as writer. As the story goes, one of Burroughs' duties was to verify the placement of advertisements for his sharpeners in various magazines. These were all-fiction pulp magazines, a prime source of escapist reading material for the expanding middle class. Burroughs spent time reading those magazines and decided he could write those stories just as well. He was lucky his first time out and sold Under the Moon of Mars. The Tarzan series followed this and Burroughs was now a full-fledged writer. In this volume of the Mars series, Helium, a spoiled princess and John Carter's daughter, rejects Gahan, Jed of Gathol, as a suitor and foolishly flies off into a great storm. Gahan gives chase. By the time he finally catches up to Tara, she has forgotten who he is, and he assumes the name Turjun, a panthan mercenary. Together they challenge the power of O-Tar, Jeddak of Manator, whose barbaric nation of Red Men have preyed upon Gathol for centuries. The Manatorians have elevated Jetan, Martian chess, to an unprecedented level of skill and excitement: they use live chessmen who fight for live princesses. Gahan finds himself fighting for Tara on the chessboard of Manator, and haunting O-Tar's palace. See other titles by this author available from Kessinger Publishing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:01 -0400)

Tara, Princess of Helium and daughter of John Carter, defies the elements by flying into a rare, fierce Martian storm. Hurtled half a planet from her home she is threatened by grotesque, flesh eating monsters and barbarous warriors.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,712,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible