La rubia de hormigón by Michael Connelly

La rubia de hormigón (original 1994; edition 2004)

by Michael Connelly

Member:sora91
Title:La rubia de hormigón
Authors:Michael Connelly
Info:Barcelona : Ediciones B, 2004
Collections:Leídos, Read but unowned
Tags:negra

The Concrete Blonde by Michael Connelly (1994)

Recently added byjmurphy001, private library, casalleke, Rena37, Alan1946, BookHavenAZ, gmmartz, Andrew-theQM

English (68)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (71)
This is the third book in the series and at first I struggled to get into the book. However once I did it was a very enjoyable read and I loved the way the trial sequences linked up with the investigation of a Serial Killer. The trial sections were the favourite parts for me and I enjoyed the relationship between Harry Bosch and his adversary in court Honey 'Money' Chandler. I think by the end of the book I had worked out who the killer was but I did enjoy the journey to the final resolution. Michael Connelly is an excellent write however I still think I have a slight preference for the Lincoln Lawyer/Mickey Haller Series but it is increasingly a close call. One slight irritation, I could do without all the smoking in the book, it doesn't add to the book. If you enjoy crime books I would recommend this series. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
The Concrete Blond
5 Stars

Detective Harry Bosch gained national fame when he shot and killed a serial killer known as The Dollmaker. Now Harry is being sued by the killer’s family for wrongful death and their case is being bolstered by the appearance of a new victim bearing all of the marks of the Dollmaker’s macabre signature. Did Harry make a mistake or is their a copycat on the loose?

The serial killer plot alongside the court room scenes make for a gripping and balanced mix of police procedural and legal thriller. The investigation is compelling with several red herrings to lead the reader astray. The final showdown with the actual killer is intense although his identity and motivation do feel contrived.

As with the previous books, Harry’s characterization is a highlight as more of his past is revealed. The developments in his relationships with Irving and Edgar are intriguing although the romance is rather weak mainly due to Sylvia’s contradictory attitude and behavior. It appears that Harry and Sylvia’s relationship is not actually going anywhere.

Connelly’s writing has improved with each successive installment. The action scenes are tighter although he still has the same difficulty that many male authors of thrillers encounter - they know how to write suspense and action, but struggle with expressing the more intimate and romantic emotions.

In sum, this is the best book in the series so far and I look forward to finding out what happens next with Harry and company. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Harry Bosch is on trial. The wife of a man he shot and killed in the line of duty 4 years ago has brought a civil suit against the LAPD. Although the shoot was deemed good (the man, Norman Church, was reaching for something under a pillow after being told to freeze, Harry was still disciplined for not following procedure by going in alone. The evidence found at the scene certainly implicated the man as being the serial killer, nicknamed the dollmaker, that the police had been after. But just as the trial starts a note, written in the same style as those left for the original victims, has been found pointing to where another body can be located. When the body is dug up all evidence points to another dollmaker victim and initial investigations show the murder being committed 2 years after Church was killed. Do they have a copycat killer on the loose or did Harry shoot the wrong man? What implications will this have on Harry's trial?

This is the third book in the series and using the backdrop of the trial while investigating the new murder allowed the padding out of what is a fairly basic story. It also provided the opportunity for some of Harry's back story and insight into his character to come to light. The new case throws in a few suspects along with a couple of red herrings to keep the reader guessing. The pacing of the story is good and doesn't get bogged down in the courtroom scenes as these segments are kept fairly short and it's not long before we're returned to the investigation which seems to proceed quickly. One thing that did bother me a little about the investigation though was why the composite sketch from the survivor of the dollmaker wasn't used to narrow down the suspect list of the follower. Did Mora, Locke and Bremmer all look the same? That didn't really affect my enjoyment of the story though and overall it ended up being a pretty decent thriller. I will at some point continue with the series. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | May 29, 2016 |
Wow. This is a roller coaster. Bosch is a civil defendant in a suit against the Police Department for a shooting he did four years before, an event which ended the serial killings by the man dubbed 'The Dollmaker'. The family of the man Bosch killed is suing for monetary damages, pain and suffering, etc., and they have a shark of a lawyer on their side.

Bosch is sure the shoot was 'good', but then things begin to crop up - bodies, hand-delivered notes. There are leaks - of course.

When I stopped reading at 1:30AM, I was sure I knew how the book would end. The next morning, when I finished it, I discovered how wrong I was. Connelly does a pretty good red herring trail in this one. All in all, very satisfying. ( )
  ffortsa | May 26, 2016 |
There are three stories here: Harry is on trial in civil court for shooting an unarmed man whom he suspected was the Dollmaker, a serial killer, and who might have just kidnapped a possible victim when the man reaches for something under a pillow. (We never find out why the suspect would want to get a toupee when Bosch tells him not to move.) The body of another woman who seems to have been killed with the M.O. of the Dollmaker is found buried in concrete; hence the title of the book. Harry is involved with Diana, the wife of a policeman whose death was investigated by Harry in a previous book. I thought I had guessed whodunit, but, as usual, I was wrong.
Whether the man shot by Bosch is in fact the Dollmaker seems to be important for the trial. I don't see why: It seems to me that Harry's actions should be judged by what happened at the moment and whether his suspicions were reasonable. He is being sued by the wife of this man. She sits quietly in court and we never discover what she thinks or feels. Does she believe her husband was a serial killer? How does she come to terms with the idea that she lived with a monster? This isn't Connelly's focus, but it would make an interesting book. ( )
  raizel | Apr 10, 2016 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montanari, GianniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for
Susan, Paul and Jamie
Bob and Marlen, Ellen,
Jane and Damian
The house in Silverlake was dark, its windows as empty as a dead man's eyes.

The Dollmaker was the name of the serial killer who had stalked Los Angeles ruthlessly, leaving grisly calling cards on the faces of his victims. Now with a single faultless shot, Harry Bosch thinks he has ended the city's nightmare.

But the dead man's widow is suing Harry and the LAPD for killing the wrong man - an accusation that rings terrifyingly true when a new victim is discovered with the Dollmaker's macabre signature.

So, for a second time, Harry must hunt down a death-dealer who is very much alive, before he strikes again. It's a blood-tracked quest that will take Harry from the hard edges of the L.A. night to the last place he ever wanted to go - the darkness of his own heart.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044661758X, Mass Market Paperback)

In this classic from a #1 "New York Times" bestselling author, Detective Harry Bosch thought he'd stopped the serial killer known as the Dollmaker. Now the dead man's widow is suing Harry and the LAPD for shooting the wrong man--an accusation that rings true when a new victim is discovered with the Dollmaker's macabre signature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:53 -0400)

They called him the Dollmaker ... The serial killer who stalked Los Angeles and left a grisly calling card on the faces of his female victims. With a single faultless shot, Detective Harry Bosch thought he had ended the city's nightmare. Now, the dead man's widow is suing Harry and the LAPD for killing the wrong man - an accusation that rings terrifyingly true when a new victim is discovered with the Dollmaker's macabre signature. Now, for the second time, Harry must hunt down a death-dealer who is very much alive, before he strikes again. It's a blood-tracked quest that will take Harry from the hard edges of the L.A. night to the last place he ever wanted to go - the darkness of his own heart. With The Concrete Blonde, Edgar Award-winning author Michael Connelly has hit a whole new level in his career, creating a breathtaking thriller that thrusts you into a blistering courtroom battle - and a desperate search for a sadistic killer.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,506,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible