La rubia de hormigón by Michael Connelly

La rubia de hormigón (original 1994; edition 2004)

by Michael Connelly

Member:sora91
Title:La rubia de hormigón
Authors:Michael Connelly
Info:Barcelona : Ediciones B, 2004
Collections:Leídos, Read but unowned
Tags:negra

The Concrete Blonde by Michael Connelly (1994)

Recently added byprivate library, onemack, Rachel_Derrick, RichFSKT, ckuonen, MaynardFRC, fau, viral_sheth, pmario

English (55)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (58)
I am feeling rather disappointed about this novel. After a couple of excellent books to kick off the sequence, Connelly definitely sold me the dummy with this one.

The basic premise was sound enough. There had been various references in the previous two books to an incident in which the protagonist, Hieronymus "Harry" Bosch had confronted and then shot a man suspected of being the serial killer known as The Dollmaker. Bosch had fired because the other man had ignored warnings to stand still and had reached in desperation for something beneath a pillow. Bosch fired without hesitation, only to discover that he had been reaching for his discarded toupee rather than a gun.

Now, four years later, the victim's widow is suing the police force for compensation. As the trial opens a new corpse bearing all the hallmarks of a Dollmaker killing is discovered, leaving everyone to draw the uncomfortable inference that the man whom Bosch shot might have been innocent.

This all made for an intriguing backdrop to the story, but somehow it never quite seemed to get going. The courtroom scenes subsided into predictable turgidity, and even the investigation into the 'new' murder just rumbled on without Connelly's customary flair. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Mar 10, 2015 |
I thought initially this would be a weaker book, because of the trial. Luckily I was wrong. A great Bosch novel. ( )
  kenzen | Feb 23, 2015 |
In this classic from a #1 "New York Times" bestselling author, Detective Harry Bosch thought he'd stopped the serial killer known as the Dollmaker. Now the dead man's widow is suing Harry and the LAPD for shooting the wrong man--an accusation that rings true when a new victim is discovered with the Dollmaker's macabre signature. This was not one of my favorites in the Harry Bosh Collection, but recommend the series as there are so good ones! ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
I was reading this as a part of a Kindle omnibus and as I read the first few pages I wondered if the kindle books were out of order- but then I realized it was a flasback of sorts to the case that preceded this series. I like how Connelly develops Bosch through his flaws, through the less than ideal handling of the Dollmaker case. I also like how the series ties in LA history with this title weaving in the events of Rodney King and its aftermath. I like how the associate characters including Irving Irving (seriously?!) and Pounds develop along with the primary characters. I also like how the time passes between titles to develop the relationships between the characters in more time than the week-ish covered by the book allows. ( )
  skinglist | Jul 8, 2014 |
For my tastes, there were too many courtroom chapters. But overall, I enjoyed reading about how Detective Harry Bosch tries to prove his innocence through investigation out of the courtroom, which ultimately leads to his acquittal. ( )
  phillipfrey | Jun 18, 2014 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montanari, GianniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for
Susan, Paul and Jamie
Bob and Marlen, Ellen,
Jane and Damian
The house in Silverlake was dark, its windows as empty as a dead man's eyes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044661758X, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:53 -0400)

They called him the Dollmaker ... The serial killer who stalked Los Angeles and left a grisly calling card on the faces of his female victims. With a single faultless shot, Detective Harry Bosch thought he had ended the city's nightmare. Now, the dead man's widow is suing Harry and the LAPD for killing the wrong man - an accusation that rings terrifyingly true when a new victim is discovered with the Dollmaker's macabre signature. Now, for the second time, Harry must hunt down a death-dealer who is very much alive, before he strikes again. It's a blood-tracked quest that will take Harry from the hard edges of the L.A. night to the last place he ever wanted to go - the darkness of his own heart. With The Concrete Blonde, Edgar Award-winning author Michael Connelly has hit a whole new level in his career, creating a breathtaking thriller that thrusts you into a blistering courtroom battle - and a desperate search for a sadistic killer.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,016,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible