City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

City of Glass (2009)

by Cassandra Clare

Series: The Mortal Instruments (3), Shadowhunters (2.3)

English (246)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (251)
New characters come into play and the readers are given a glimpse of Clary's real family. Her brother is just as worse, or maybe even more horrible, than her father; her mother is still playing sleeping beauty; and Jace is thankfully not related in any biological way to her. The introduction of Sebastion was much appreciated, but I was saddened by who he murdered and how he did it. ( )
  AlphaHikar | Jan 14, 2015 |
This third installment really just follwed the same plotline as the earlier two books. I'm also finding Clare's lack of specificity in her descriptions of what is going on frustrating. Things often seem to happen far too conveniently and wthout adequate explanation.

That said, the gender politics of this series are in great shape. Multiple queer characters, whose issues are dealt with and don't die, and Jocelyn's sleeping beauty impersonation aside, the women in these books are full people and consistently treated as such. I do think I'm going to move on to other books though. ( )
  librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |
The original intended finishing installment of The Mortal Instruments, 'City of Glass' reads like the finishing volume of a bigger story but unfortunately all the problems of the previous two books continued plague Cassandra Clare's story.

The book revolves around Valentine's endgame by attacking the Shadowhunter capital of Alicante in the hidden country of Idris, which Clary and the reader see for the first time. The overall plot reads well, however the twists and turns along with the character interactions were more often than not just bad. The relationship between Jace and Clary did resolve itself in the predictable fashion thanks to a surprising new secondary antagonist allied with Valentine along with Jocelyn waking up and talking with Clary. The antagonist relationship for most of the book between the Clave and the Downworlders given what happened during Valentine's previous coup attempt was one of two big plot holes, the second was the sudden disappearance of the other surviving Shadowhunters from Valentine's boat in the previous book which affected a major secondary character's story arc.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out things that were well done, the first of which was the character of Simon who kept on growing throughout the book even though his story arc was marred by the second big plot hole. The second were the fight sequences, the ones that didn't involve Clary, which kept my attention whenever they occurred and had me looking forward to more than a lot of the character interactions.

Before I finished, maybe even before I started, 'City of Class' I had decided this was my last Mortal Instruments book. I gave the series three books and the completion of the first 'trilogy' story arc, keeping my opinions open. However the problems first seen in the 'City of Bones' continued and only got more obvious as the series continued and it has become too much for me to continue. ( )
  mattries37315 | Jan 7, 2015 |
City of Glass is the third book in The Mortal Instruments series and it is my favorite thus far! So much action, so much intrigue, so many twists and turns!

There are some new characters in this book, some of which have turned the story line of the series on end. Bad guys, good guys... from page to page, there are times when you just don't know about some of these characters. Even those we known and love have their moments. Nothing is black and white in this book, but a million shades in between.

There is a ton of emotion in this book, a ton of mystery and intrigue, a ton of battles and action. I love the ongoing story of the series and the way it constantly changes! Engrossing!!

My Recommendation: This is a must read for fans of the series, my favorite yet! ( )
  Kiki870 | Jan 6, 2015 |
Città di vetro è il libro che finora mi è piaciuto maggiormente, nonostante abbia comunque adorato gli altri due.
Questo libro è stato pieno di colpi di scena, mi ha intrigata molto e mi ha rapita, facendomi sempre venire voglia di continuare a leggere "un'altra pagina".
Secondo me poteva benissimo essere la conclusione di una trilogia quindi davvero non so dove la Clare voglia andare a parare con gli altri libri... non vedo l'ora di leggerli :)
  Felicetu6 | Jan 6, 2015 |

Die ons weer uit de
hel voert naar het
licht.

John Milton, Het paradijs verloren
For my mother. "I only count the hours that shine."
The cold snap of the previous week was over; the sun was shining brightly as Clary hurried across Luke's dusty front yard, the hood of her jacket up to keep her hair from blowing across her face.

Still pursuing a cure for her mother's enchantment, Clary uses all her powers and ingenuity to get into Idris, the forbidden country of the secretive Shadowhunters, and to its capital, the City of Glass, where with the help of a newfound friend, Sebastian, she uncovers important truths about her family's past that will not only help save her mother but all those that she holds most dear.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,165,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible