City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

City of Glass (2009)

by Cassandra Clare

Series: The Mortal Instruments (3), Shadowhunters (2.3)

English (336)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (341)
Very generic, predictable YA at this point. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
I wish I could be kinder to this book but I found it to be a slog to get through. At almost 500 pages long, the story moves in fits and starts. It just felt too overly padded, with lengthy stretches where little happened other than Clary going around and having the same conversations - usually about Jace or how she didn't belong in the Shadowhunter world - over and over again.

While the plot was a lot more focused than that of City of Ashes, it also felt a bit forced. There is a lot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Harry Potter in this story, which I especially felt the scene in which Valentine offers his ultimatum to the Clave. The plot twist concerning the origins of Jonathan Morgenstern, while not quite a retcon, still didn't sit quite right to me. It just felt as though the purpose of this whole book was to undo a rather questionable plot twist from earlier in the series.

The book also really lacked an emotional impact for me. I think this is possibly because I never felt as though any major protagonists would come to harm, which is a problem due to the world building. While Izzy at one point comments on how Shadowhunters tend to die young, it's not something we really see. Virtually all the deaths in this book are either older Shadowhunters and mostly occur off-page. This is a problem due to the fact it's a world where people can be healed from the brink of death by a single rune.

The book also wraps up virtually every loose end in the series, leaving only one real hanging thread that I can see will have an impact going forward. For me, this felt a little odd. As we're only on the third book of a six book series, it's difficult to see where Clare intends to take her concept from here. It really felt as though the series could end at this point.

In terms of character, this book was really more of the same. There isn't a lot of development for the supporting cast in this book because Clary and Jace are both such self-centred people. Even when their is a bereavement in the Lightwood family, the book never really focuses on how this will effect Izzy and Alec. Even Alec's coming out is shoved into the background, even though previous instalments indicated how taboo this was for a Shadowhunter. This also means that there is very little Magnus in this book, which is always a pity as he's one of the few characters that I actively like.

Clary and Jace are both just insufferable. Despite having incredible powers, Clary is still a damsel. While I sometimes felt sorry for her because of how horrible the other cast - primarily Izzy and Jace - can be to her, she really does bring this on herself at times by just doing profoundly stupid things. Her constant pining over Jace became really tiresome in this novel, but moreso was Jace's mercurial moods, sometimes seeming to toy with her and other times breaking her heart as painfully as possible.

However, I really did find myself rooting for newcomer Sebastian. Up until his climatic fight, he really did appeal to me. His "reading" of the core cast really summed up my feelings towards the series on the whole. Thank-you Sebastian, for your ability to put my feelings towards Clary and Jace to words.

So, in all, I'm still not a fan of this series. While I can see why it appeals to young adult readers, there are far better works of urban fantasy out there. I will probably continue with this series one day, but I'm not in any hurry to. ( )
1 vote ArkhamReviews | Jun 29, 2018 |
This book has left me shook.

I had such a bad experience with City of Ashes that when I tried to start this book a couple months ago, I couldn't get through ten pages before I decided the series was not for me. I was extremely disappointed because I actually really loved City of Bones and thought it had so much potential.

Needless to say, on a whim I decided to at least give City of Glass one more try for emmabook's Shadowhunters readathon. By chance, it happened to be the day that they were starting this book (which was perfect) and I figured I would just read one chapter a day and go for it.

Boy was I in for a surprise, because I actually loved this book. Once I got past my previous prejudice to the series, I was really able to get into this world and characters again. I absolutely loved all of the characters and most of the plot twists took me by complete surprise. I even read ahead and - much to my shock - actually couldn't wait to read more!

I'm definitely not waiting to read the next book according to the schedule, and cannot wait to get started on the next book!

Warning: spoilers coming up! If you haven't read the book... then don't proceed!

Because I do not want to spoil anyone who hasn't read the book, I decided to put the things I wasn't as fond of in more detail in a more spoiler-y area of this review. Again, while I really did enjoy this book twenty billion times more than I thought I would, I had a few issues.

Jace and Clary's relationship was I think probably one of my biggest issues with this book. I went into it already knowing they weren't siblings, but I still could not back up the romance in it at all. Yes, there was a very steamy, very lovely kiss scene between them, but other than that, I wasn't really rooting for their relationship and - dare I go as far to say - don't really ship them anymore. I liked them in the first book, but I'm kind of done with them now.

Clary kind of stems from this, but I wasn't too fond of her in this book. I think reading this later than when I read the first book, I'm just noticing how childish and immature she is. There were a few moments when she did show her strong side, but I find even just a lot of her internal dialogue and thoughts had me cringing.

I also wasn't fond of how the whole Clary's mother waking up was handled, because for the first couple of chapters she was in - I completely didn't trust her! After what had happened with the fill in Sebastian (speaking of which, I'm eager to meet the real Seb hopefully) I was sure she was an impostor or something! Yes, the reveal at the end of part 2 with her waking up was super cool and had me on the edge of the seat, but felt very anti-climactic after that. There was very little that even went into the explaining of how that worked.

Most of the plot twists, though they left me surprised in the moment, were very just kind of meh afterwards.

Also? Valentine is supposed to just be... dead? You really expect me to believe that?

jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
Città di vetro inizia circa una settimana dopo la conclusione di Città di Cenere, a occhio e croce direi che sono passati circa due o tre mesi dall'inizio di Città di Ossa.
Clary e Jace cercano di comportarsi come fratello e sorella, lui cerca di proteggere lei e lei come una bambina viziata lo ignora e si caccia nei guai tanto per cambiare.
A differenza del libro precedente questo scorre molto in fretta, senza perdersi in scene inutili (in poco più di due ore avevo già letto 200 pagine) e man mano introduce personaggi che ritroveremo nel (molto) successivo Città del Fuoco Celeste, quindi - a chi non lo ha ancora letto - consiglio di prestare particolare attenzione ai personaggi nuovi.

Anche qua Valentine da' prova di essere n villain coi fiocchi: è sprezzante, fiero e crudele; ma la cosa che gioca a suo vantaggio è che, al contrario di altri cattivi, lui è fermamente convinto della causa per cui combatte. Non vuole semplicemente conquistare il mondo per sete di potere, lui è convinto di essere nel giusto e questo lo rende reale.
La stessa cosa si può dire per Jonathan/S. che, anche se non combatte per la causa, è talmente definito bene da risultare - nella sua crudeltà - più reale di tutti gli altri personaggi.
Restando in tema Valentine e villain, mi aspettavo qualcosa di più dall'epica battaglia finale che ci si prospettava. Nello stesso libro viene detto che dura poco più di una decina di minuti e - perdonatemi - ma a questo punto forse ha fatto una scelta più intelligente la Meyer alla fine di Breaking Dawn.
Per quanto riguarda la rivelazione angelica/demoniaca (chi lo ha letto capirà a cosa mi riferisco) mi è piaciuta molto la scelta fatta dalla Clare. Devo ammettere che per i miei gusti è stata tirata molto per le lunghe... però se non altro, Jace rientra completamente nel suo personaggio che si era un po' lasciato indietro in Città di Cenere.

Continua a leggere su http://theinkspell.blogspot.it/2016/04/shadowhunters-citta-di-vetro-cassandra.ht... ( )
  jeky91 | Jun 15, 2018 |
Prior to the release of the last two books in the series, this book was my favorite. I can't name exactly why it was my favorite, it just was. I was absolutely captivated from the beginning to the end and the story-telling was simply magnificent. 5 stars!!! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, Mikesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Long is the way
And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light.
-John Milton, Paradise Lost
For my mother. "I only count the hours that shine."
The cold snap of the previous week was over; the sun was shining brightly as Clary hurried across Luke's dusty front yard, the hood of her jacket up to keep her hair from blowing across her face.

Still pursuing a cure for her mother's enchantment, Clary uses all her powers and ingenuity to get into Idris, the forbidden country of the secretive Shadowhunters, and to its capital, the City of Glass, where with the help of a newfound friend, Sebastian, she uncovers important truths about her family's past that will not only help save her mother but all those that she holds most dear.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,836,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible