City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

City of Glass (2009)

by Cassandra Clare

Series: The Mortal Instruments (3), Shadowhunters (2.3)

English (234)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (239)
I may have skimmed through some parts of the previous two novels, but this volume of the Mortal Instruments series I thoroughly enjoyed. Jace, Clary, & company finally travel to the Shadowhunter homeland - although they arrive by varying means and not all are welcome. Valentine, of course, makes his presence known before too long and commences with his typical havoc-wrecking. However, this volume contains some important revelations and I am excited to see what turns the series takes next! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Aug 30, 2014 |
This third installment really just follwed the same plotline as the earlier two books. I'm also finding Clare's lack of specificity in her descriptions of what is going on frustrating. Things often seem to happen far too conveniently and wthout adequate explanation.

That said, the gender politics of this series are in great shape. Multiple queer characters, whose issues are dealt with and don't die, and Jocelyn's sleeping beauty impersonation aside, the women in these books are full people and consistently treated as such. I do think I'm going to move on to other books though. ( )
  raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |
better than the second book ( )
  jodiesohl | Aug 27, 2014 |
Hi Honey, mother
  patrishthefish | Aug 26, 2014 |
I don't know whether I enjoyed this book or not. Sure it has it's moments but there are plenty of WTF moments.

Seriously for like a huge chunk of the book, Jace continues to be reckless and be an ass. Like WTF, you aren't the only one suffering or has a problem. And stop acting like an ass to every near and dear to you. Ugh, I don't care he's a teenager, I just want to throttle him.

And omg Clary, it seemed like she didn't even try to get her act together for most of the book. She was so self absorbed and selfish that it seemed like the whole world revolved around her and her problems and never did she think about the consequences for her actions. Again, like Jace she might be a teenager but come on for someone who is so important, you need to get your shit together quick! However, her redeeming quality was convincing the clave to form an alliance with the Downworlders and for foiling Valentine's final act

Fairly decent action scenes, fairly predictable twists and turns and ending. you just know Sebastian is still alive because after all, he has demon blood in him, so who knows what he is capable of. Also the whole Malachi being Valentine's follower was quite the surprise, and rather unexpected. I am curious to know why the Faerie Queen made such a request and the consequences of not granting her a favour.

Overall, some what decent ending to book 3, could have been better if it wasn't as predictable but whatever it sort of satisfied me, at least much better than book 2. ( )
  Dream24 | Aug 21, 2014 |

Die ons weer uit de
hel voert naar het
licht.

John Milton, Het paradijs verloren
For my mother. "I only count the hours that shine."
The cold snap of the previous week was over; the sun was shining brightly as Clary hurried across Luke's dusty front yard, the hood of her jacket up to keep her hair from blowing across her face.

Still pursuing a cure for her mother's enchantment, Clary uses all her powers and ingenuity to get into Idris, the forbidden country of the secretive Shadowhunters, and to its capital, the City of Glass, where with the help of a newfound friend, Sebastian, she uncovers important truths about her family's past that will not only help save her mother but all those that she holds most dear.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,716,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible