City of Glass. Die Chroniken der Unterwelt 3…

City of Glass. Die Chroniken der Unterwelt 3 (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Cassandra Clare, Franca Fritz (Übersetzer), Heinrich Koop (Übersetzer)

Member:Yuki-Chan
Title:City of Glass. Die Chroniken der Unterwelt 3
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Other authors:Franca Fritz (Übersetzer), Heinrich Koop (Übersetzer)
Info:Arena (2009), Ausgabe: 1., Aufl., Gebundene Ausgabe, 728 Seiten

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (2009)

Recently added byprivate library, benandhil, KrisGPS, EugeniaMarcela, bebonee, Bekz, Lunalety, jburns9, Rsmart1026

English (311)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (316)
Background: Clary and crew are planning to travel to the City of Glass to save her mother. Jace plots to leave Clary behind, making her illegally enter the city and getting Simon into a mess of trouble with the Shadowhunters. The Clave is trying to decide what to do about the Valentine situation that is on their heels and Clary and Jace learn about their pasts.

Review: I really liked this story line especially because of the Clary/ Jace developments, but I thought this was also the last book of a trilogy and I was misinformed. I think that the story line could have ended where it is. Again Clare uses the word incredulous all the time and it is bothersome, but there is also a lot less action in this book. They talk A LOT, and then once the action and war began the book was about over... I don't like when there is that much build up to a rather disappointing end.
I loved how Clare told us the pasts of Jace/Clary/Sebastian and how they were all linked together but I also felt like there were some wholes that I couldn't quite put a finger on.

I am interested to read the next installment to see how the story progresses further, since I believe this could have been the end... ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
Review to come... ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
After reading this one I cannot figure out the hype for this series. I am not a fan of it. I tried and kept reading every one but I have to say that I am done! This was not my favorite. I hated the characters and I did not like the story line. It was well written hence the 2 stars instead of 1.
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
City of Glass begins with Clary having to travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shawdowhunters in order to save her mother. She portals to the City of Glass, despite the fact that she does not have permission to enter and is traveling with Luke, a werewolf, and the punishment for breaking the Law could mean death. Once arriving, she learns that Jace does not want her there and Simon has been imprisoned by the Clave, as they are suspicious of his day walking abilities. Clary begins to learn more about her families past and meets Sebastian, also a Shadowhunter and a cousin of the Penhallow family that the Lightwoods are staying with. Valentine once again proves to be trying to destroy the Clave and now that he has the Mortal Cup and Sword, all he needs is the Mirror, which is located somewhere within Idris and he will be able to basically do whatever he pleases. As things get more and more complicated, Jace and Clary must once again face Valentine, but to what end?

Obviously, if you haven't read City of Bones or City of Ashes, City of Glass isn't going to make a whole lot of sense you, as it is the 3rd book in The Mortal Instruments series. I have to admit, that so far I have really enjoyed City of Bones and City of Glass, but some reason City of Ashes wasn't my favorite. I loved this book for two reasons; one everyone is finally in Idris, which we have heard so much about in the first two books and the second is we get to know Clary's background and family better, as well as some of the other people who were a part of the Circle and have been mentioned in the past two books. There are other reasons who I loved this book, but I can not disclose them without including spoilers and I never include spoilers, even if it makes me reviews short and not very in depth. I felt like I got to know Alec and Jace better throughout this book as well. And City of Glass answered a lot of questions that I had in regards to Clary's family and her past, as well as all the people mentioned in the first two books. When I finished this book, I finally felt like I understood what happened when Clary's mom fled Idris. By the end of the book, almost every question I had was answered and my "theories" were proven or not. I can't wait to read the rest of the series, as well as Lady Midnight and the Infernal Devices series. I will say it again; if you have not yet read The Mortal Instruments series, I highly recommend that you do so immediately! Happy reading! ( )
  mrsreadsbooks | Aug 3, 2016 |
I know that there are three more books in this series, but this felt like the end of a trilogy? Are we sure that the next three books aren't new trilogy?

Clarey was very similar to how she's been in the last two books. She's frustrating, stubborn, impulsive, brave, loving and stupid. I know that she's had character growth over the last two books, but it's hard to pin down how, because, if anything, she is more annoying than she was in the first book. I think Clarey had reason to be angry at her mother, but still, Jocelyn was unconcious for like, a month, and the first thing Clarey does when she sees her is yell at her. I'd understand if she gave her a hug and then yelled at her, but I really don't like that she didn't even show any relief to see her mother.

My opinions on Jace are similar to those on Clarey, except that I don't know when I started getting annoyed at Clarey, and Jace has just irritated me from the moment I met him. I do think that he's had some character growth. I like that he's learned to value his life, and he's less arrogant than he was, but he's still pretty arrogant.

I didn't really like Jace and Clarey's relationship from the start. I suppose that could be partly from watching too many booktube videos, and knowing that they were brother and sister, but I also just found that they didn't seem good for each other. Or rather, I think that Clarey was good for Jace, but Jace wasn't good for Clarey. He would repeatedly be a jerk to her. There were times when she wasn't very nice to him, but it never seemed like it was on the scale as him to her. It became even worse in this book. He pulled the cliche "I'm being a jerk to protect you" when he lied to her to get her to stay home, and then when he was exceedingly cruel to her, hoping to get her to go back home. Then he thought he had demon blood in him, he thought he was a monster, and instead of resolving to endeavor to be better than anyone thought he could be, he used it as an excuse to be even worse than usual. In some ways I thought that it was a an easy duck out of their relationship problems to make them not really be brother and sister, but given the fact that they continuously gave into their lust for one another, I don't think that they would have been able to fix their relationship. They barely even tried.

I really like Simon in every book, and in every book I find myself thinking that he's gotten the worse deal of the characters. He's constantly picked on by the Shadowhunter characters, and then a lot of bad stuff happens to him on top of that.

I like Luke, and I like him as a father figure for Clarey. He always seemed to be a good leader, but he definitely was in this book. Who knew the Shadowhunters would listen to him since he was a downworlder.

For some reason, I really like Magnus. He's hilarious. He made me laugh at times when in the next moment laughing was inoppropriate, but I was still laughing at Magnus.
I also like Isabel. Sort of. She is a little bit mean at times, which I don't like, but she got better in this book, and, through her grief for Max we got to see her act a little bit more human.

I don't like Alec much. There are times when he seems to have an inflated oppinion of himself.

I like Maryse. We don't know her that well, but she loves her children and usually has good interactions with Jace. We didn't get to know Robert well enough for me to have developed an oppinion on him.

We didn't see much of Maia in this book, which is too bad because I really liked her in the other books, still, what we did see of her was pretty good, when she saved Clarey and Jace and was snarky because they didn't recognize her in wolf form, and when she reluctantly accompanied Simon into Raphael's camp, and at the end when she and Isabel seem to be friends, but also rivals for Simon's affection.

I liked Max too. He was a spot of innocence in this messed up world that Clarey and Simon stumbled into. I do wish we would have gotten to know him better before he was killed. He was starting to seem like a little brother to Clarey, but only starting. They didn't know each other well enough to really become like brother and sister, but they were on their way, and I wish that they could have made it all the way.
I thought Hodge was dead, so I was saddened when he was killed right when he was going to redeem himself. I had liked him in the first book.

Never trust that a villain is dead until you see his body. Isn't that what Jace said about Valentine in the last book? So, I know that "Sebastian/Jonathan's" eyes were staring blankly at the sky, but I didn't get the impression he was far enough into the water to be washed away by it, so it seems odd that no one bothered to make sure he was dead after the defeat of Valentine. And I read the description of the next book so I know that he's alive.

I don't even know how to feel about the dreadful Angelology in this book. The angels were something distant, almost mythical, in the other books, and I was willing to suspend my disbelief, but are the angels in this book supposed to be literal angels? Because angels don't strictly have bodies (so it would have been impossible for Valentine to hold one captive for decades.) Angels serve God, but they are not gods, which seemed to be their representation in this book.

From what I understand, it's best to read the Infernal Devices next, and then continue with the Mortal Instruments series, so Clockwork Prince will be what I read next. ( )
  NicoleSch | Jul 29, 2016 |

Die ons weer uit de
hel voert naar het
licht.

John Milton, Het paradijs verloren
For my mother. "I only count the hours that shine."
The cold snap of the previous week was over; the sun was shining brightly as Clary hurried across Luke's dusty front yard, the hood of her jacket up to keep her hair from blowing across her face.

Still pursuing a cure for her mother's enchantment, Clary uses all her powers and ingenuity to get into Idris, the forbidden country of the secretive Shadowhunters, and to its capital, the City of Glass, where with the help of a newfound friend, Sebastian, she uncovers important truths about her family's past that will not only help save her mother but all those that she holds most dear.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,251,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible