City of Glass. Die Chroniken der Unterwelt 3…

City of Glass. Die Chroniken der Unterwelt 3 (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Cassandra Clare, Franca Fritz (Übersetzer), Heinrich Koop (Übersetzer)

Member:Yuki-Chan
Title:City of Glass. Die Chroniken der Unterwelt 3
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Other authors:Franca Fritz (Übersetzer), Heinrich Koop (Übersetzer)
Info:Arena (2009), Ausgabe: 1., Aufl., Gebundene Ausgabe, 728 Seiten

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (2009)

English (309)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (314)
After reading this one I cannot figure out the hype for this series. I am not a fan of it. I tried and kept reading every one but I have to say that I am done! This was not my favorite. I hated the characters and I did not like the story line. It was well written hence the 2 stars instead of 1.
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
City of Glass begins with Clary having to travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shawdowhunters in order to save her mother. She portals to the City of Glass, despite the fact that she does not have permission to enter and is traveling with Luke, a werewolf, and the punishment for breaking the Law could mean death. Once arriving, she learns that Jace does not want her there and Simon has been imprisoned by the Clave, as they are suspicious of his day walking abilities. Clary begins to learn more about her families past and meets Sebastian, also a Shadowhunter and a cousin of the Penhallow family that the Lightwoods are staying with. Valentine once again proves to be trying to destroy the Clave and now that he has the Mortal Cup and Sword, all he needs is the Mirror, which is located somewhere within Idris and he will be able to basically do whatever he pleases. As things get more and more complicated, Jace and Clary must once again face Valentine, but to what end?

Obviously, if you haven't read City of Bones or City of Ashes, City of Glass isn't going to make a whole lot of sense you, as it is the 3rd book in The Mortal Instruments series. I have to admit, that so far I have really enjoyed City of Bones and City of Glass, but some reason City of Ashes wasn't my favorite. I loved this book for two reasons; one everyone is finally in Idris, which we have heard so much about in the first two books and the second is we get to know Clary's background and family better, as well as some of the other people who were a part of the Circle and have been mentioned in the past two books. There are other reasons who I loved this book, but I can not disclose them without including spoilers and I never include spoilers, even if it makes me reviews short and not very in depth. I felt like I got to know Alec and Jace better throughout this book as well. And City of Glass answered a lot of questions that I had in regards to Clary's family and her past, as well as all the people mentioned in the first two books. When I finished this book, I finally felt like I understood what happened when Clary's mom fled Idris. By the end of the book, almost every question I had was answered and my "theories" were proven or not. I can't wait to read the rest of the series, as well as Lady Midnight and the Infernal Devices series. I will say it again; if you have not yet read The Mortal Instruments series, I highly recommend that you do so immediately! Happy reading! ( )
  mrsreadsbooks | Aug 3, 2016 |
I know that there are three more books in this series, but this felt like the end of a trilogy? Are we sure that the next three books aren't new trilogy?

Clarey was very similar to how she's been in the last two books. She's frustrating, stubborn, impulsive, brave, loving and stupid. I know that she's had character growth over the last two books, but it's hard to pin down how, because, if anything, she is more annoying than she was in the first book. I think Clarey had reason to be angry at her mother, but still, Jocelyn was unconcious for like, a month, and the first thing Clarey does when she sees her is yell at her. I'd understand if she gave her a hug and then yelled at her, but I really don't like that she didn't even show any relief to see her mother.

My opinions on Jace are similar to those on Clarey, except that I don't know when I started getting annoyed at Clarey, and Jace has just irritated me from the moment I met him. I do think that he's had some character growth. I like that he's learned to value his life, and he's less arrogant than he was, but he's still pretty arrogant.

I didn't really like Jace and Clarey's relationship from the start. I suppose that could be partly from watching too many booktube videos, and knowing that they were brother and sister, but I also just found that they didn't seem good for each other. Or rather, I think that Clarey was good for Jace, but Jace wasn't good for Clarey. He would repeatedly be a jerk to her. There were times when she wasn't very nice to him, but it never seemed like it was on the scale as him to her. It became even worse in this book. He pulled the cliche "I'm being a jerk to protect you" when he lied to her to get her to stay home, and then when he was exceedingly cruel to her, hoping to get her to go back home. Then he thought he had demon blood in him, he thought he was a monster, and instead of resolving to endeavor to be better than anyone thought he could be, he used it as an excuse to be even worse than usual. In some ways I thought that it was a an easy duck out of their relationship problems to make them not really be brother and sister, but given the fact that they continuously gave into their lust for one another, I don't think that they would have been able to fix their relationship. They barely even tried.

I really like Simon in every book, and in every book I find myself thinking that he's gotten the worse deal of the characters. He's constantly picked on by the Shadowhunter characters, and then a lot of bad stuff happens to him on top of that.

I like Luke, and I like him as a father figure for Clarey. He always seemed to be a good leader, but he definitely was in this book. Who knew the Shadowhunters would listen to him since he was a downworlder.

For some reason, I really like Magnus. He's hilarious. He made me laugh at times when in the next moment laughing was inoppropriate, but I was still laughing at Magnus.
I also like Isabel. Sort of. She is a little bit mean at times, which I don't like, but she got better in this book, and, through her grief for Max we got to see her act a little bit more human.

I don't like Alec much. There are times when he seems to have an inflated oppinion of himself.

I like Maryse. We don't know her that well, but she loves her children and usually has good interactions with Jace. We didn't get to know Robert well enough for me to have developed an oppinion on him.

We didn't see much of Maia in this book, which is too bad because I really liked her in the other books, still, what we did see of her was pretty good, when she saved Clarey and Jace and was snarky because they didn't recognize her in wolf form, and when she reluctantly accompanied Simon into Raphael's camp, and at the end when she and Isabel seem to be friends, but also rivals for Simon's affection.

I liked Max too. He was a spot of innocence in this messed up world that Clarey and Simon stumbled into. I do wish we would have gotten to know him better before he was killed. He was starting to seem like a little brother to Clarey, but only starting. They didn't know each other well enough to really become like brother and sister, but they were on their way, and I wish that they could have made it all the way.
I thought Hodge was dead, so I was saddened when he was killed right when he was going to redeem himself. I had liked him in the first book.

Never trust that a villain is dead until you see his body. Isn't that what Jace said about Valentine in the last book? So, I know that "Sebastian/Jonathan's" eyes were staring blankly at the sky, but I didn't get the impression he was far enough into the water to be washed away by it, so it seems odd that no one bothered to make sure he was dead after the defeat of Valentine. And I read the description of the next book so I know that he's alive.

I don't even know how to feel about the dreadful Angelology in this book. The angels were something distant, almost mythical, in the other books, and I was willing to suspend my disbelief, but are the angels in this book supposed to be literal angels? Because angels don't strictly have bodies (so it would have been impossible for Valentine to hold one captive for decades.) Angels serve God, but they are not gods, which seemed to be their representation in this book.

From what I understand, it's best to read the Infernal Devices next, and then continue with the Mortal Instruments series, so Clockwork Prince will be what I read next. ( )
  NicoleSch | Jul 29, 2016 |
I think I may have read somewhere that Cassandra Clare originally wrote the Mortal Instruments series as a trilogy, and didn’t start adding books to the series until later, perhaps after the first few books became runaway bestsellers. As such, City of Glass pretty much brings everything full-circle for our characters and wraps up all the major plot points introduced in the first two books. If I’d been reading them as they were released, I probably would have assumed this is the end for our intrepid characters, but since I’m a little late to party, I already know there’s more story to tell. And it’s certainly not that City of Glass wraps up so tightly that it doesn’t leave room for more story. Quite the opposite, in fact. It’s just that if there was no more, I’d call it a very satisfying ending.

This book takes us away from New York City (only the first couple of chapters take place there) to the Nephilim city of Alicante in the fictional country of Idris, which it seems is located somewhere in Europe. This expanded upon the series mythology quite a bit as we learn more of the history of the Shadowhunters and get the flavor of their land and culture without any mundanes being in the picture. The Downworlders are definitely present, though, as many of them live in Idris, but most are outside Alicante, as they’re forbidden to enter the city without permission. We also, for the first time, get to see the Clave and learn a little more about the Shadowhunters’ government, which like most governments, is pretty messed up. The other thing we finally get resolved is the full history of Valentine and his family, what made Jocelyn run in the first place, why she’s been in a coma for so long, and what exactly is the relationship between Jace and Clary. I have to give the author props for great plotting. Even if a couple of the plot points were a little predictable for me, I still had a wonderful time reading this book. It’s now my favorite in the series so far.

The reader gets a number of character perspectives in this volume, but I’d probably have to say that Clary’s POV dominated. She’s a Shadowhunter by blood, but since she never trained to fight, many think she might just be in the way when the others head for Idris. Jace fears more for her safety and tries very hard to stop her from going, but Clary is determined because she feels it may be her last hope of finding a cure to wake her mother. She may not be a physical fighter, but she continues to build on the new powers she discovered in the previous book of the series and becomes instrumental in helping fight the war with Valentine as well as uniting Shadowhunters and Downworlders against their common enemy. She learns her full history, but before she does, she still struggles in her feelings for Jace, whom she believes is her brother. I’ve always liked Clary, because she’s a sweet girl who tries to do the right thing, but at the same time she’s not a pushover. She’s strong and determined, knowing what she has to do and following through to the best of her ability. Not to mention, she may not be able to wield a sword, but her powers are pretty darn impressive anyway.

Jace only gets a few of his own POV scenes in this book, but we see his character developing through the eyes of Clary and the other characters. As Clary’s backstory begins to come to light so does Jace’s, but before he can learn the full story, he decides to go on what ostensibly could be a suicide mission to defeat Valentine before he can destroy all the people Jace loves. Oddly enough, even though we don’t get a lot of Jace’s own perspective, he finally came alive for me in this book. So many readers love him, but I wasn’t quite there yet. I liked him, but now I can honestly say that I fully appreciate his character. I think it’s because we start to see beyond the sarcasm that’s become a defense mechanism for him and really begin to see who Jace is inside. He finally exhibits some vulnerability, making him more endearing and relatable to me. In fact, it’s because of his vulnerabilities and his belief that he is an inherently bad person with nothing to lose, especially since he can’t be with the girl he loves romantically, that makes him take such a daring risk. And for that I did love him.

There’s a lot going on for all the other characters we’ve come to know and love in the series. Simon gets a number of his own POV scenes and begins to grow more as a character. I’ve always loved him for his sweet geekiness, but as a vampire now, he also has a newfound sex appeal, which he is rather endearingly surprised to discover. We also learn more about how he’s now able to walk in daylight. Simon must take a daring risk of his own to gain the cooperation of the vampires in the war against Valentine, because they are equally wary of one of their own kind walking in daylight as the Shadowhunters are. The Lightwoods suffer through a tragedy, which in some ways, I think, spurs Alec and Isabelle to live life more in the moment. We’re also introduced to several new characters from Alicante, some good, some bad, as well as a surprising past character who resurfaces. Some old friends of the Lightwoods have a daughter, Aline, who’s around Clary’s age, and she may play a part in future books of the series. They also have a nephew, Sebastian, who’s keeping some interesting secrets of his own. And when Luke unexpectedly travels to Idris with Clary, we meet someone from his past as well. Magnus plays a strong part in helping out several people. There is some positive progress on the romantic front for several supporting characters too. Even though all the romances are really secondary to the rest of the plot, it was still nice to finally have some closure on a few of them to give me some couples to feel like I can safely root for.

As with the previous books of the series, I would say that City of Glass is fully suitable for a mature teenage audience. There’s a fair bit of violence. Various characters must battle demons as well as engage in hand-to-hand combat with other characters. Some characters die, at least one of which could potentially be a bit distressing, but it plays out off canvas and isn’t graphic. We see Jace coming to a point where he is prepared to kill his own father in order rid the world of Valentine’s evil and save those he loves. I’d say most of the violence, though, is on par with PG-13 movies. There is some language, but it’s definitely not overdone and used in what I would call a sparing manner. There are a couple of scenes in which characters engage in some fairly passionate kisses. Two male characters are among those sharing a kiss, but it’s written from the perspective of an observer and not either of the characters involved. The reader is briefly led to believe that two characters may have had sex off-canvas (they didn’t). Jace and Clary share a bed platonically, and their continued romantic feelings for one another, while still believing that they are siblings and the potentially incestuous nature of those feelings, might bother some. In general, though, I feel that all these possibly objectionable elements were handled very well and I would personally have no problem with my own teenager reading the book.

Overall, City of Glass was an excellent read that I thoroughly enjoyed. As I said, it brings a satisfying end to all of the major plot points and conflicts, which IMHO was needed, instead of dragging certain elements out even further. So kudos to the author for that. Yet at the same time, it leaves just enough room for more potential storytelling to come. I have no idea what might be in store for all our intrepid heroes in the next three books of the Mortal Instruments series, but I’m very eager to find out. So I’ll definitely be picking up City of Fallen Angels very soon. ( )
  mom2lnb | Jul 15, 2016 |
This series keeps getting better and better as I go along. The first book was good, the second was fine but this one sucked me in so fast and so far that I lost track of time and when I wasn't reading, I couldn't wait to get back to the characters. I even stayed up late on a Tuesday night to finish because I couldn't put it down. You learn a lot about the characters in this book. You learn more about Jace's background and history, who he really is, what happened to him and Clary as babies. There is also an epic battle. This was supposed to be the third book of a trilogy and it feels like a wrap-up of the story but apparently the author had more to say. I'm fine with that, I wasn't ready to let them go. I highly recommend this series and I highly recommend you read them back-to-back. This has become one of my favorite series in this genre. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |

Die ons weer uit de
hel voert naar het
licht.

John Milton, Het paradijs verloren
For my mother. "I only count the hours that shine."
The cold snap of the previous week was over; the sun was shining brightly as Clary hurried across Luke's dusty front yard, the hood of her jacket up to keep her hair from blowing across her face.

Still pursuing a cure for her mother's enchantment, Clary uses all her powers and ingenuity to get into Idris, the forbidden country of the secretive Shadowhunters, and to its capital, the City of Glass, where with the help of a newfound friend, Sebastian, she uncovers important truths about her family's past that will not only help save her mother but all those that she holds most dear.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,401,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible