City of Glass. Die Chroniken der Unterwelt 3…

City of Glass. Die Chroniken der Unterwelt 3 (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Cassandra Clare, Franca Fritz (Übersetzer), Heinrich Koop (Übersetzer)

Member:Yuki-Chan
Title:City of Glass. Die Chroniken der Unterwelt 3
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Other authors:Franca Fritz (Übersetzer), Heinrich Koop (Übersetzer)
Info:Arena (2009), Ausgabe: 1., Aufl., Gebundene Ausgabe, 728 Seiten

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (2009)

English (246)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (251)
City of Glass is definitely the best book in the series. It was finally the kind of storyline that made it impossible to put the book down.

To me, City of Glass seemed different, because the focus shifted from Clary to other characters, which finally gave the reader an opportunity to get to know them better. Reading this book, and letting my mind wander to the first two, I realized how those characters have grown. I got to see more of Simon, Jace, and even Isabelle's inner struggles, which was a nice change. Can't say anything about Clary, though - it seems to me that she stayed exaclty as she was, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

All that is good, but for the world of me, I cannot fathom WHY oh why is there a 4th book (and so on)? ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
And it was AMAZING! I've been flying through and enjoying some YA books lately, but this book just captured me...I don't care how cheesy that sounds. I'm sick and stayed home and couldn't put it down, read it in less than 24 hrs. Cassandra Clare is a very talented writer. I just loved this story! It was so balanced and brought so much closure! Apparently there is another book coming soon, which I have not read about yet, but I really don't see why do it? Let this ending be...but from reading this book, I feel that she definately knows what she's doing as an author of a series, so we shall see! ( )
  sgcastellini | Feb 6, 2015 |
New characters come into play and the readers are given a glimpse of Clary's real family. Her brother is just as worse, or maybe even more horrible, than her father; her mother is still playing sleeping beauty; and Jace is thankfully not related in any biological way to her. The introduction of Sebastion was much appreciated, but I was saddened by who he murdered and how he did it. ( )
  AlphaHikar | Jan 14, 2015 |
This third installment really just follwed the same plotline as the earlier two books. I'm also finding Clare's lack of specificity in her descriptions of what is going on frustrating. Things often seem to happen far too conveniently and wthout adequate explanation.

That said, the gender politics of this series are in great shape. Multiple queer characters, whose issues are dealt with and don't die, and Jocelyn's sleeping beauty impersonation aside, the women in these books are full people and consistently treated as such. I do think I'm going to move on to other books though. ( )
  librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |
The original intended finishing installment of The Mortal Instruments, 'City of Glass' reads like the finishing volume of a bigger story but unfortunately all the problems of the previous two books continued plague Cassandra Clare's story.

The book revolves around Valentine's endgame by attacking the Shadowhunter capital of Alicante in the hidden country of Idris, which Clary and the reader see for the first time. The overall plot reads well, however the twists and turns along with the character interactions were more often than not just bad. The relationship between Jace and Clary did resolve itself in the predictable fashion thanks to a surprising new secondary antagonist allied with Valentine along with Jocelyn waking up and talking with Clary. The antagonist relationship for most of the book between the Clave and the Downworlders given what happened during Valentine's previous coup attempt was one of two big plot holes, the second was the sudden disappearance of the other surviving Shadowhunters from Valentine's boat in the previous book which affected a major secondary character's story arc.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out things that were well done, the first of which was the character of Simon who kept on growing throughout the book even though his story arc was marred by the second big plot hole. The second were the fight sequences, the ones that didn't involve Clary, which kept my attention whenever they occurred and had me looking forward to more than a lot of the character interactions.

Before I finished, maybe even before I started, 'City of Class' I had decided this was my last Mortal Instruments book. I gave the series three books and the completion of the first 'trilogy' story arc, keeping my opinions open. However the problems first seen in the 'City of Bones' continued and only got more obvious as the series continued and it has become too much for me to continue. ( )
  mattries37315 | Jan 7, 2015 |

Die ons weer uit de
hel voert naar het
licht.

John Milton, Het paradijs verloren
For my mother. "I only count the hours that shine."
The cold snap of the previous week was over; the sun was shining brightly as Clary hurried across Luke's dusty front yard, the hood of her jacket up to keep her hair from blowing across her face.

Still pursuing a cure for her mother's enchantment, Clary uses all her powers and ingenuity to get into Idris, the forbidden country of the secretive Shadowhunters, and to its capital, the City of Glass, where with the help of a newfound friend, Sebastian, she uncovers important truths about her family's past that will not only help save her mother but all those that she holds most dear.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,212,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible