Shadowed Summer by Saundra Mitchell

Shadowed Summer

by Saundra Mitchell

2032057,794 (3.61)2
Recently added bysunset_x_cocktail, ushatten, private library, dm13

I quite liked it. It was an interesting, quick read. The characters were easy to relate to, the plot was tight and clean and it was just fun. In the way of many YA books, it focused more on plot and character interaction than on romance and passion, but I was interested in how the subplot managed to bring elements of the effects that more peripheral adult world can have on youth. ( )
  mephistia | Apr 6, 2013 |
I hate ghost stories and scary stories and suspenseful stories as a rule. Which makes Mitchell's book an exception for me, because I didn't hate it. The writing was so good that I could forgive it for being scary. This one is difficult to review in a spoiler-free manner, as there's so much going on throughout. Beneath the scary, this book is about relationships and secrets and growing up and trying to negotiate through all the currents of a small town. The characters are so finely drawn, so believable, and at heart so heroic that I found myself thinking about them as real people, wondering what happened next in their lives.

The cover of this book is so bad it makes my teeth hurt. Try not to let the cover influence you, because it's a damn good book, even if it is a scary ghost story. Read it soon, before the spoiler people get to you. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Even though this was small book, it was jammed packed with goodness. I really enjoyed the plot line of this book and following along with the characters to solve the mystery of Elijah disappearance.

The plot line for one was good. The pacing of the plot, even better. I like that as you read the book the mystery isn't given to you right away. It makes you keep reading and you unravel the mystery of what happen to Elijah and why Iris is involved.

Iris is a great characters. She has a great sense of adventure and just really dives into solving this unsolved mystery. She search for clues, ask questions, even I was getting excited at the questions she was asking. I too fell into step with Iris on her journey to find Elijah.

As always, with small towns nothing it what you expect. I really like the twist of the book and the ending. In a short book, Ms. Mitchell did a great job on tying up all the loose ends. Nothing left you hanging and even the ending was bitter sweet. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Jul 11, 2011 |
Very likeable down-to-earth YA ghost/mystery story with a lovely setting. It's a very quick read even for the intended age group (YA). Iris and her friends were very believable. I can relate to their summer boredom almost too much. I would've liked more interaction between Iris and the ghost Elijah. I guess I just didn't want the story to end as quickly as it did. I would read more of Ms. Mitchell's books. ( )
  vivycakes | Jul 6, 2011 |
Originally posted to: www.books4hearts.com

First things first: This book was refreshing! Why? Because it was good, but it was a standalone. I felt satisfied with how it wrapped up, which I often don't with standalone books, without having to read a sequel to get the whole story! Don't get me wrong. I like series of books, however, I don't appreciate it when EVERY book is a series-- especially those times when you don't even know it is/will be one.

Saundra Mitchell's writing. Ohmygosh. I read the Vespertine and really liked the story but my favorite part was Mrs. Mitchell's writing style. It's unique, rather poetic, and rather visual. Shadowed Summer is super creepy and gothic, emphasized by her writing.

The whole thing was creepy, really Iris and Colette's pretending to be witches gone wrong, when something ACTUALLY happens and there's an actual ghost. Not a quiet ghost either, this ghost had a story to tell and a mystery to be solved. The whole thing wraps up in a way you wouldn't expect; as the story goes on, Colette and Iris think they know what happened, and the reader thinks they do too; but then it's not what you expect!

If you want a really creepy gothic type of book that's written well and is a relatively short STAND ALONE read, then check out Shadowed Summer.
  yayme1747 | Jun 13, 2011 |
Nothing ever happened in Ondine, Louisiana, not even the summer Elijah Landry disappeared.

His mother knew he ascended to heaven, the police believed he ran away, and his girlfriend thought he was murdered.

Decades later, certain she saw his ghost in the town cemetery, fourteen-year-old Iris Rhame is determined to find out the truth behind "The Incident With the Landry Boy."

Enlisting the help of her best friend Collette, and forced to endure the company of Collette's latest crush, Ben, Iris spends a summer digging into the past and stirring old ghosts, in search of a boy she never knew.

What she doesn't realize is that in a town as small as Ondine, every secret is a family secret.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:20 -0400)

In the small town of Ondine, Louisiana, fourteen-year-old Iris uncovers family secrets when she conjures up the ghost of a boy missing for decades and decides to solve the mystery of his disappearance.

Saundra Mitchell is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,887,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible