Life with My Sister Madonna by Christopher…

Life with My Sister Madonna (edition 2009)

by Christopher Ciccone, Wendy Leigh

Rating:***

Life With My Sister Madonna by Christopher Ciccone

CD ( )
  buddysmom78 | Nov 26, 2011 |
I thought there would be a lot more scandal and insight into this iconic legend. It seemed more like whining - but was a guilty read nonetheless! ( )
  desiree85 | Feb 19, 2011 |
Reading this book provides a glimpse into some aspects of Madonna's life that readers might otherwise not be aware of. I think when you read this you have to condsider that the author (her brother) may be biased. With that in mind, this book should be read with 'a grain of salt'. Otherwise, this memoir of Christopher's life as Madonna's brother is simply another person's perspective on past events and can be enjoyed as such. Reading this book doesn't change my views on Madonna; her life is far too removed from my own for me to have any strong opinions it. This book was a great travelling companion during the summer and a quick, easy read. The sometimes graphic details or adult situations make it more suitable for older teens and adults. ( )
  cvosshans | Sep 25, 2009 |
Though many might disagree with me, I found this memoir surprisingly well-written, or at least very engaging, and I had trouble not reading it all in one sitting. Whether you like Madonna or not, her brother Christopher lays it all out & I think you'll come away with an altered perspective after reading this. Of course, there are always two sides to a story, and this one's bound to be biased, but I can't help but lose a little respect for Madonna after reading this. I've always had mixed feelings about Madonna -- I've respected her ability to become a success & she seems a very organized, structured individual, and overall I like her music, although I prefer the older stuff. But as a person, I've always questioned her morals & wonder what she's really trying to achieve. Her brother presents her as a selfish, attention-seeking person who cares little for the feelings of people around her, and I have no doubt that's an accurate description for the most part. Overall, I've lost more respect for her after reading this & I feel for Christopher and the way she's treated him, but at the same time I think he should have stood up for himself a long time ago. Essentially, they've both used each other through the years to get what they want, but obviously Christopher has ended up with the shorter straw. My hope is that Christopher Ciccone wrote this as a sincere therapeutic process as opposed to a money-making endeavor. ( )
  indygo88 | Aug 28, 2009 |
Biographies and Autobiographies are not my favorite genre of books, but I do make exceptions for certain political figures, royalty, and a handful of legendary divas like Marlene Dietrich, Jean Harlow, Tullulah Bankhead, and Marilyn Monroe. And then there is Madonna. In spite of the fact that I am an upper-middle-class, aging, housewife with grown children and grandchildren, I have always had a fascination with Madonna. It all started on Thanksgiving Day of 1984 when I attended a family dinner at my sister's house and my 13 year old niece came to the dinner table wearing a "Madonna" outfit, complete with fishnet stockings, a rag in her long hair, and fingerless mesh gloves. I thought, "Who is this Madonna my niece is imitating?" and assumed she was just the latest teeny-bopper craze and would merely be another passing phase in the evolution of Rock and Roll. As years passed, Madonna became a chameleon, re-inventing herself over and over, always one step ahead of the media and the hoards of commercial pop entertainers. Today at 50 years old, Madonna "has sold an estimated 200 million albums world wide, and she is listed in the Guiness Book of World Records as the female singer with the highest annual earnings.

I am not a Madonna fan. I do not listen to her music, much preferring jazz, the blues, classical, and 60's and 70's oldies. But curiosity got the best of me. I wanted to know more about her life and what better source than her favorite brother. So I bought the book.

Christopher Ciccone does share many intimate details of Madonna' s childhood family life in Rochester, Michigan. And since he followed her to New York and participated in the journey of her rising fame, he can authentically give a first hand account of many aspects of Madonna's life as she struggled to become the star she is today. She was the center of Christopher's life. He idolized Madonna. So he tells all, and from that perspective the book was not a disappointment.

But, in 1995 they had their first disagreement. And as years passed Madonna became increasingly critical of Christopher's dependence on her, his spending habits (paying off an ex-lover with most of his life savings), his drug habit (cocaine), and his irresponsible lifestyle. Today they barely speak to each other. Christopher Ciccone should be ashamed of himself for writing this book; a whining plea for sympathy because Madonna was "cold-hearted, judgmental, cheap, and paranoid about being used". He accuses her of abandoning him and leaving him destitute after "using him" for 10 years to achieve fame. I just don't understand what Christopher expected to accomplish by writing this book. I guess it was his revenge (for Madonna being the successful one), exposing the world to their personal family business. When I read the final page and closed the book, I was filled wth sadness. The world has no need to know about Christopher's petty sibling rivalry. It robbed Madonna of her privacy and stripped Christopher of his pride and dignity. So sad! ( )
1 vote LadyLo | May 18, 2009 |
Christopher saves his most vitriolic attack on Madonna for choosing to film a scene in Truth Or Dare at the gravestone of their beloved mother. To the author, this was an unforgivable sin. Time and again, Christopher uses his treasured memories of his mother as a weapon against his sister. He implores readers to imagine just what his deeply religious, saintly mother—who died while he and his sister were still young—would think of Madonna’s shameless exhibitionism and raunchy concerts. The implication, of course, is that she’d be horrified at Madonna’s debauchery, but would feel proud her gay son wrote a book that prominently features him snorting cocaine with various super-celebrities.
added by Shortride | editA. V. Club, Nathan Rabin (Mar 3, 2010)

The alarm clock rings in a low-key British way.

Christopher Ciccone's memoir is based on his forty-seven years of growing up and working with his sister Madonna. Through most of Madonna's career, Christopher played an important role in her life: as her backup dancer, her personal assistant, her dresser, her decorator, and her art and tour director.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,466,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible