Far Away and Long Ago by W. H. Hudson

Far Away and Long Ago (1917)

by W. H. Hudson

200583,744 (4)41

English (4)  Spanish (1)  All languages (5)
It took me a while to get into this book but once I started I managed to keep up the momentum. The story about the story was interesting but it is difficult to comprehend Hudson's lot until he deals with Darwinism and his own inclinations as a naturalist. Delivered as the story of one's boyhood, it is not until after finishing the book and reading the preface, one reflects and Hudson's genius comes to light. ( )
  madepercy | Nov 7, 2017 |
A classic is “Far away and long ago” (1918), the childhood memories of W.H.Hudson, of life in and around Buenos Aires in the middle of the 19th century. Hudson is, occasionally, a little heavy on description of nature and birds, but is at his best painting the Argentine society, the immigrants, the gauchos, the dictator Rosas, and all other things related to the people (or perhaps that is a personal preference). A great read for those who seek an accompaniment to the standard history fare that is available about Argentina.

See for more: http://theonearmedcrab.com/a-reading-list-for-argentina
  theonearmedcrab | May 16, 2016 |
4302 Far Away and Long Ago A History of My Early Life, by W. H. Hudson (read 17 Apr 2007) On Jan 6, 1946 I read the author's unforgettable novel, Green Mansions, so when I got a chance to read his 1918 memoir of his youth in Argentina, covering the years from his birth in 1841 to the time he was 15, I wanted to. He was extraordinarily cognizant of nature, especially birds, and while this does not sound like the kind of book which would excite--and for many pages I was not excited--on balance I found the reading worthwhile, especially in the final chapters. He began riding horses when he was six and spent much time looking and being enthralled by the pampas where he lived. On balance, this was good reading. ( )
  Schmerguls | Oct 29, 2007 |
Hmmmm! I read Green Mansions years ago and now I understand that better. I find it sad that he died in poverty or want in England. He so obviously loved the place that he grew up in though he seemed to recognize the change that happened over the years. ( )
  aemurray | Sep 30, 2007 |

Seen through the eyes of a young boy, the Argentine pampas is a land of freedom and endless exploration. In scintillating detail, Hudson recalls its wild artichoke thistles, seasonal lakes, spectacular storms, unforgettable trees and its pulsating bird life. He also captures the idiosyncracies of its human inhabitants and their multiracial households: Englishmen manufacturing sheep's cheese, obsessive breeders of piebald horses, and long, companiable evenings filled with extempore ballads. Underlying it all are the violent realities of the times - tortured slaves, murderous, macho gauchos delighting in the agonising ritual of animal slaughter and the simple, ever-present threat of 19th century mortality.
The autobiography of naturalist Hudson, who spent the first 18 years of his life on the Argentinian pampas. He is revered in Argentina, where they refer to him as Guillermo Enrique Hudson and name streets and towns after him. .. He writes about his boyhood as one of several sons in an English family that ran an estancia. Despite several failed attempts to school him he managed to pick up one of the best educations available by studying nature. Whether writing about ombu trees, plovers, snakes, lightning storms, rheas or neighboring ranchers, Hudson brought a whole world to life with this 1917 book.

The autobiography of William Hudson who spent the first eighteen years of his life on the Argentinean pampas.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:29 -0400)

William Henry Hudson spent the first 18 years of his life living among the stunning landscape of the Argentine Pampas and studying the diverse flora and fauna there. This fascinating autobiography of his early years, shows a young man with an enquiring mind that would help him become the leading ornithologist of his day, he was fascinated by the interactions of animals and humans alike, living on the border of what was then a wild frontier.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,850,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible