Hope's Folly by Linnea Sinclair
Recently added byprivate library, aczkh, dlcooper, jjmcgaffey, SarcasmQueen, LoriAnnK, c_neva, mazlynn, SusanBNM

I like. Better than Chaz and Sully, because there's no "magic" powers here - just Philip and Rya doing their jobs and dealing with assorted disasters. I liked Philip in Shades of Dark, now I like him a lot better. And Rya, aside from her persistent "I am not worthy" problem, is great. "May I fondle your rifle?" heh. There are an awful lot of plotters around - well, OK, the enemy has been identified as a plotting sort of person, so I guess his minions would carry out the same style (more or less). I thought there was a really obvious reveal - two, actually - that Rya totally missed. The second I guess she wasn't on the bridge, but...she must really like the guy not to see anything odd in his behavior. I kept wanting to point him out to them, as they went far and wide in considering potential enemies. Bah. There's also no mention of the problem with chain of command of the two of them getting together - admittedly things are rather loose and wild right now, but they're both military (if not quite the same) and it should have been a concern, along with "I am not worthy" and age and what others might think. Should have, but wasn't. And with all those nitpicks, this is still my favorite (so far) Dock Five book and among my favorite Sinclairs. I didn't go on to the next book because I can't _find_ it - but I will, as soon as I can. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | May 1, 2015 |
Liked this. Still like An Accidental Goddess the most. ( )
  lesmel | May 23, 2013 |
Amazon preorder
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
I loved the unusual characters who star in this book. The hero, Philip Guthrie, who is trying to come to terms with his loss of mobility and being continually reminded of his age and now being less than perfect. And Rya, not your typical weak feminine TSTL heroine who still sees the integrity of the man underneath and worships the man he was and the man he is now. ( )
  AB_Gayle | Mar 31, 2013 |
Finished this over the weekend and LOVED it! It was a great edition to the Dock Five Universe and I really loved the relationship between Rya and Philip--great characters with a lot to overcome both to save the world and to save themselves and their happiness together. Highly Recommended! ( )
  maggiejaimeson | Mar 30, 2013 |
As always, to Rob, who after almost thirty years still finds me amusing, and to my furry assistants, Daq and Miss Doozy. And to Captain Folly's body double, Fat Tammy the Slut, who crossed the Rainbow Bridge several years ago but still reigns as one of the most memorable and ornery of felines.

An admiral with a secret past leads a gang of rebels--including the one woman who can rattle him--against an oppressive imperial force, in this exciting new SF romance from a RITA Award-winning author.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,152,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible